myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help me jibe overpowered
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Help me jibe overpowered Reply with quote

One of the things I'm currently working on is jibing at full speed when well-powered to (near)over-powered.

I'm having a hard time sheeting in and laying the sail down, this is what I have tried:
- More downhaul
- More outhaul
- More speed
- More backfoot pressure
- Sheet in harder

Things I'm thinking about trying and it's killing my back and shoulers:
- Raking the sail back (seems to shorten the turning radius)
- Lowering my boom

This is what I look like when trying:

adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look back at this moment, at the clew or even better the wake of the board. You won't believe how much it helps to sheet in. Also at the same moment you are railing the board slide your back hand as far back as you can -very close to the boom clamp . And pray of course Laughing
PS: when I have too much speed I skip the downwind phase, I go straight for the rail even if I'm going upwind at that point
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel,

Let the front of your sail pull you over more, let the mast fall forward & take you with it. You can get a feel for this by doing one handed carve 360's or one handed carve jibes. As you start your jibe slide your back hand up to the harness lines & let her fall. You get a good feel for how the sail can get itself to a neutral position in the jibe no matter how strong the wind.

You could also watch a few slalom races. Watch how far forward & downward the mast goes when really powered up.

This is an 8.2 sail in 20 knt winds. Notice the mast is falling while the back hand is lifting up & in like carrying a suitcase.

Coachg

Ibe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.54 KB
 Viewed:  20666 Time(s)

Ibe.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine there being anything new to add to the many threads we've had on jibing, especially when overpowered. You will find many threads including hundreds of posts with a wealth of information on exactly that topic with the SEARCH function. Key words Mike Fick's Jibe Tips with isobars as author will snag 13 of those threads; broader key words may cast too wide a net snaring too many threads.

Bottom line: done right it is physically effortless, almost instantaneous, loses only a few yards of windage (you will cross your own wake within seconds), and maintains full beam reach top speed all the way through; sail tuning, boom height, lunch, etc. are not significant factors; it's primarily technique. (Caveat: I have no idea how it's done with big Formuly boards or sails over 7.5.)
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I got over this same question, many, many years ago was to lead with your knees when entering the jibe. From the looks of your pic, you are squatting, but the lower legs are still straight up and down, your knees should be past you feet, not above them. That puts the board more onto the inside rail, making the carve much easier when fully powered or over powered.
But I'm with Iso when it comes to big equipment, my biggest sail is a 5.7, ocean sailing only.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Look back at this moment, at the clew or even better the wake of the board. You won't believe how much it helps to sheet in.

Exactly what I was thinking when looking at the picture. I am looking at the chop instead of looking at the exit. It's much easier to look at the exit, it makes the carve much smoother. The only thing that's not intuitive is that it makes us look one step ahead.

coachg wrote:

Let the front of your sail pull you over more, let the mast fall forward & take you with it.

Ok, that goes hand-in-hand with leaning farther forward with my knees.

coachg wrote:

You can get a feel for this by doing one handed carve 360's or one handed carve jibes.

This is exactly where I have the same issue. I'd love to do downwind 360s.

isobars wrote:
I can't imagine there being anything new to add to the many threads we've had on jibing, especially when overpowered.

I'm hoping to get a more "personalized" feedback and is why many people start new thread on subjects that have been debated for years. I have read countless threads, articles, looked at many videos and pictures and still hurting. This is a hopeless call Smile !

isobars wrote:
Bottom line: done right it is physically effortless, almost instantaneous, loses only a few yards of windage[...]

I'd love to get to that point.

nw30 wrote:
[...]but the lower legs are still straight up and down, your knees should be past you feet, not above them.

Yes this is my defensive stance Smile !
This goes well with needing to let the sail bring me more forward.

So in brief next steps are:
- Look at the exit
- Lean farther forward
- Drive more rail in the water

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot (mid sail flip) demonstrating leading with your knees
(and hips) from about 1992 on a pretty stout 3.2 day. Just for reference

-Craig
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
adywind wrote:
Look back at this moment, at the clew or even better the wake of the board. You won't believe how much it helps to sheet in.

Exactly what I was thinking when looking at the picture. I am looking at the chop instead of looking at the exit. It's much easier to look at the exit, it makes the carve much smoother. The only thing that's not intuitive is that it makes us look one step ahead.

coachg wrote:

Let the front of your sail pull you over more, let the mast fall forward & take you with it.

Ok, that goes hand-in-hand with leaning farther forward with my knees.

coachg wrote:

You can get a feel for this by doing one handed carve 360's or one handed carve jibes.

This is exactly where I have the same issue. I'd love to do downwind 360s.

isobars wrote:
I can't imagine there being anything new to add to the many threads we've had on jibing, especially when overpowered.

I'm hoping to get a more "personalized" feedback and is why many people start new thread on subjects that have been debated for years. I have read countless threads, articles, looked at many videos and pictures and still hurting. This is a hopeless call Smile !

isobars wrote:
Bottom line: done right it is physically effortless, almost instantaneous, loses only a few yards of windage[...]

I'd love to get to that point.

nw30 wrote:
[...]but the lower legs are still straight up and down, your knees should be past you feet, not above them.

This goes well with needing to let the sail bring me more forward.

So in brief next steps are:
- Look at the exit
- Lean farther forward
- Drive more rail in the water

+back hand farther back
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

why many people start new thread on subjects that have been debated for years.

- Lean farther forward

Hopeless? Only for sailors permanently afraid of speed. Take TOW? Absolutely ... 15 years of sailing year-'round, half of them in the Gorge, in my case.

We haven't even begun debating. This is just a small fraction of the basics so far (unless adywind is suggesting that we should watch our wake while jibing; I don't think that was his intent.) I sheet in until my sail foot hits my leg just to be sure it doesn't snag in the water.

Jibing is an offense move; its mission is to score, not prevent a fall. You must be the pilot, not the passenger.

Instead of thinking "leaning" or especially bowing, think "curtseying" or maybe even just sinking vertically by letting our ankles and knees flex. Leaning forward at the waist is a recipe for falling to the inside of the turn.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is good.
Unhook without slowing down.
Apply plenty of pressure on your downwind rail
Follow through.
Don't be afraid of falling. I must have fallen a hundred times before I got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: