myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Airlines and Windsurfing Equipment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trebor_HI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Airlines and Windsurfing Equipment Reply with quote

Anybody fly to Maui with windsurfing equipment recently? We're moving Utah to Maui and I want to bring my windsurf gear with me. One each: 98 liter board, 430 carbon mast, 5.0 Naish Force sail and booms. It's good gear for Hawaii so don't want to ditch it here.

Alternatively, is there an air freight service that can be used? UPS wanted $458 just for the board!

Any insight will be appreciated
wmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is generally $100 one way for what you have. But call the airline first to make sure they fill fly your gear.
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately Alaska Airlines has been great for us. Every summer we take 2 boards, 5 sails, 4 Masts, 2-3 booms for our two weeks on Maui.
Lately it has been $75 each way. I have had to pay $150 if they catch on the fact that there are two boards in the bag. I try to target the max weight/bag at 60 lbs and have adorable board bag, sail/mast bag and sometimes a boom bag if I take three booms.
Only issue I habpve had twice is arriving home with a broken boom. Probably an issue of me pushing the limits on packing and never knowing what is going to be on top of your bags on the plane or baggage cart. The good news is that if it breaks going to Maui, you have a great excuse for new equipment and an island full of toy stores.
Trebor_HI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, think I will use Alaskan.

Alaskan's website says "On Alaskan flights 1-999 the equipment may measure a max of 115 inches in length alone." They then say "on flights 2000-2999 and 3440-3499 the max combine h + L + W may not exceed 115 inches." Just got to make sure I book the right flights.

So, I have the board in a padded travel bag, the mast in the sleeve it was sold in and the sail in sail bag. Don't have a bag for the booms. Think that will be a problem. See attached pic

gear 640x480.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.96 KB
 Viewed:  20531 Time(s)

gear 640x480.jpg

hitech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska flys extended range 737s to Maui so length should not be an issue unless you are shipping a SUP. You need to find a bag for the mast/sail/boom. I have travel bags for everything so not my issue. There are a lot of unused bags out there now as most people don't travel with equipment anymore. Check with your friends. You might even borrow and ship the bag back once you get there. Another option would be to box your board and use the board bag to hold mast/sail/boom. You pay $75 for a windsurfing kit defined as board, mast, sail and boom so you can have multiple bags without incurring extra expense. Keeping the bags light helps keep the baggage handlers from "mishandling" them just to make a point. Box your board with bubble wrap and use what you have for most economical option.
flaherty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American charges 150 each way. However I just flew to Kauai, and they didn't charge me, two bags, flew first class, from Boston.Two weeks here on the north shore, with girl friend,then off to Maui for two weeks.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska sounds like a great deal--$75 for an entire kit.

I've used American for several years LAX-OGG. It's $150 for a "windsurf kit" defined as "1 board, 1 mast, boom and sail; can be two pieces." For several years they allowed three pieces and I was getting away with two boards in a travel bag, 4 sails (in a travel bag with the masts) and 3 booms (in a boom bag). Now they only allow two pieces....plus I started taking my 7.0 too which requires another (longer) sail bag. Last year I just paid for two windsurf kits ($300--4 travel bags) and there was no hassle. No damage to the gear yet.

Previously used United and I believe they broke one of my board--they have a bad rep for breaking things.

DaKine and Maui Sails both make good travel bags...I prefer the ones with wheels---there is a lot of schlepping thru airports when you take your kit.

If you can fit one of the Costco $100 foamy 8' foot longboards on the bottom of your board bag it will protect the windsurf boards ... and you will save compared to buying or renting a board on Maui.

Have fun!

--ck
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I primarily travel only to sail Kona One these days, my old advice on which airline offers what package is likely out of date. Whatever the policy is, it's always a great idea to print out the Contract of Carriage. It controls the size and weight limits of special gear, including price. I've found it handy to pull out when the gate agent wants to charge more or even refuse stuff in separate bags.

As for packing the board to prevent damage, there is only so much you can do. The lightest and best cushion seems to be the blue foam house siding cut exactly to protect the rails bottom and deck. Add nose and tail cap, and it should protect the board from anything other than getting thrown from the plane. Keeping each bag light reduces manhandling by baggage handlers.

As for your boom, it really needs to go into a bag of some sort so it doesn't snag conveyor belt corners, not to mention saving the grip from extra wear. I often packed a boom in my board bag. Boom goes on the deck, head toward board tail, with the head wrapped in a thick layer of bubble wrap encased in cardboard. Tape the whole thing to the board, pad the end piece to protect the more delicate area of the board and you should be fine.

Another alternative is to roll sails together to make a stiff tube, then pack with the boom in a separate board bag.

Trebor_HI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board bag is actually an old double surfboard bag. Think I've had it for over 30 years. But, my windsurfer fits. Used to use that bag for surf trips to Mexico and Indonesia and never had problems with airlines refusing to load on plane. But that was decades ago. Apparently 9/11 and TSA changed all that.

I inquired about shipping air cargo and found that you have to submit an application to become a "Known Shipper". I submitted the paperwork but the Alaskan Airlines cargo people said that TSA controls how long it takes to process. So chances are I'll have to transport as excess baggage.

Thanks for letting me know that the mast booms and sail have to be in one package. I think I'll tie wrap them together and MacGyver a cardboard box.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first class flyers get by with a lot more than coach.

you don't know what's going to happen until you get to the check in counter no matter what you see on the airline's website. i've gotten by with no fee at SFO and then $300 on the way back with the same exact equipment.

virgin has the most liberal windsurf gear policy. weight and size is not a problem to a certain point. check with them.

shipping the gear as air cargo can get very expensive because most of the components are oversize. if that's you're only option you have to use use a freight forwarder. they are "known shippers"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: