myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tie On Boom Not Attaching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reid.zimmerman

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Tie On Boom Not Attaching Reply with quote

Hey guys! I just bought my vintage 1980's windsurfer for about $100 and I'm ready to take on the high seas! Cool

Anyways, I'm COMPLETELY new to this and so I have some of you more veteran guys on here are gonna have to help me out here.

Like I said, I just bought a old, used windsurfing kit from a guy just so I can experiment and get my feet wet in the sport. A problem I've encountered is that when tieing on the boom to the mast (yes, those still exist), the boom will NOT stay put when I tie it on. I tried windsurfing the other day and the entire time my boom would slide up and down the mast.

So my question is, is there a way that I could jerry-rig my boom so that it has a clamp on it? I've tried tieing the boom on every way and it will just not stay put.

Thanks and I look forward to posting here more often!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the days of tie-on booms, there were many different configurations based on the fact that every brand designed their own front end. So, to develop a reasonable starting point, a photo of your boom front end would be the call.

Regarding the fastening of a tie-on boom to the mast, the boom needs to be positioned on top of the mast, with the front end where you want to attach it to the mast, and the clew will be positioned at the base of the mast. Once you've made the tie-on connection reasonably snug, you swing up the clew of the boom to the sail's clew grommet. The act of swinging the boom into position tightens the connection. If you find it difficult to swing the boom into position, you don't want to push it too hard because it could damage the mast. Getting the correct tightness before you swing up the boom is learned task found through trial and error.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal tension is, after two full wraps around the mast, is when the line starts tightening when the booms are folded 45 degrees, or halfway to it's final 90 degree position to the mast.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Ideal tension is, after two full wraps around the mast, is when the line starts tightening when the booms are folded 45 degrees, or halfway to it's final 90 degree position to the mast.

Right, in other words, you start out with the mast parallel to the boom. Tie it on and bend the boom to perpendicular..... You need to tie the boom on first, then bend it down. Don't tie too hard or you'll crush the mast.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a swap meet, look then for a POS boom, cost $15-35

Be some of the best $ spent

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I had two windsurfers with teak booms - one for me and one for any of my brothers that wanted to sail with me.

The last of the two split in half in Lake Sebring, FL, with my former brother-in-law on it.

Here is what you do. First, you google rolling hitch. It is a knot, and it was evolved so that it would not slip on a round pole - like a mast. Figure out how to tie a rolling hitch, and you are half way there.

When you tie your rolling hitch, make sure that the boom is parallel to the mast. Then, after you tie it, when you make the boom perpindicular to the mast, the front end will be very tight.

I placed my boom so that the end of the boom was toward the top of the mast. That way, when I made it perpendicular to the mast, it did not tighten the leech of the sail unnecessarily. IF you tie your rolling hitch with the end of the boom pointed down at the bottom of the mast, when you put it up in position it will make the leech (back edge) of the sail too tight.

By the way, the best thing that you can do is figure out a way to make a modern sail work on that board. Modern sails are so much easier - like a Cheetah 6.5 or 7.5. Modern booms with a clamp on front end are so much easier, and better.

But, an original Windsurfer board is a nice learning platform. I did my first waterstart on my original windsurfer.

Come to think of it, the Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 would be a perfect sail for your new board!

Best of luck with it.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you must use the old stuff ... Smile

here's the process I documented:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=C6DB8ADE6B0C768C&resid=c6db8ade6b0c768c%21445&app=Word
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bin that rubbish, you'll never get it to work right.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with beaglebuddy, dump it!
gronquist

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the 'rolling hitch' old school style should be a necessary skill set for us all, in the event of equipment failure out in the water, -just carry spare line?

I remember that being taught when I first started, but modern head attachments were already the norm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: