myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WARNING...Wells Island sandbar has changed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: WARNING...Wells Island sandbar has changed Reply with quote

A note of warning.... Wells Island sandbar has increased in size and is now very shallow way west of the island. I have sailed this stretch of river for 30 years now and know the hazards very well. This one took me by surprise, there was no sign of shallow water at this location and I've made this crossing hundreds of times. Going full speed in the 3.7 conditions when the board suddenly came to a full stop and flung me over the handlebars. It was as if I were shot out of a cannon and performed an incredible loop (if anyone has a video, let me know). Landed on my butt (nice and graceful like), perfect.... no pain, no damage. However, I'm still pulling sand out of my ears.

WARNING.... there are stumps and other debris under the water, if I had hit one of these this would have been a much different story. I will make it clear that this could have been a major accident. If it's this dangerous in May, it's going get much worse as the water level changes in summer.

Be careful crossing the Wells Island sandbar.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: WARNING...Wells Island sandbar has changed Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, I'll be sailing that stretch maybe Saturday and Sunday,
unless I end up at Doug's.

Much appreciated, as I prefer to leave the no-board loops to more accomplished sailors like yourself. ;*)

-Craig

WMP wrote:
A note of warning.... Wells Island sandbar has increased in size and is now very shallow way west of the island. I have sailed this stretch of river for 30 years now and know the hazards very well. This one took me by surprise, there was no sign of shallow water at this location and I've made this crossing hundreds of times. Going full speed in the 3.7 conditions when the board suddenly came to a full stop and flung me over the handlebars. It was as if I were shot out of a cannon and performed an incredible loop (if anyone has a video, let me know). Landed on my butt (nice and graceful like), perfect.... no pain, no damage. However, I'm still pulling sand out of my ears.

WARNING.... there are stumps and other debris under the water, if I had hit one of these this would have been a much different story. I will make it clear that this could have been a major accident. If it's this dangerous in May, it's going get much worse as the water level changes in summer.

Be careful crossing the Wells Island sandbar.
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING...Wells Island sandbar has changed Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Thanks Pete, I'll be sailing that stretch maybe Saturday and Sunday,
unless I end up at Doug's.

Be careful at Doug's too. The river level is extremely low for this time of year, so the far side of Doug's is also really shallow. Usually it's not an issue until the fall, but this year is different. On the plus side, I have found some good swell at Doug's this season, even on the lighter days.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING...Wells Island sandbar has changed Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I prefer to leave the no-board loops to more accomplished sailors like yourself. ;*)

-Craig

Thanks Craig, that boosts my ego to the unbelievable point where I'd like to do that all over again..... love that "free bird" feeling of flight without restraints. However, I promised never to do that again. (note to self.... don't do that again).

But hey... I avoided injury by going without booties..... booties would have locked my feet into the straps and created breakage to my body and/or my board. I highly recommend sailing without booties now.
westender

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning too for Bob's Beach. Used to be able to sail around the Piling/Range marker at Rock Creek/RR bridge. Gibe before you get past the pilings if the water is low. The sand bar is a nice spot to take a break but be very careful of the submerged rocks on the way in.
katosandog

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early in the morning or late in evening, when the sun is low and shining straight down the river, you can get a great view of the encroachment west of Wells Island from the Underwood lookout high above the Hatchery. It's a tremendous view regardless of why you are there, but for about three years it's been apparent that sand from Wells is moving rapidly downriver.

I think it's going to be an issue at the Hatch in the future.
jota

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is a lot of the sediment that came down the White Salmon river after the dam was removed, getting into the flow of the Columbia and then over into the eddy of Wells Island.

Just a guess, but after decades of sailing there myself, it does seem to be suddenly growing and extending quite a bit.

It's turning into a great beginner's kite spot, for those that can paddle/boat/jetski over there, with such a huge flat area of shallow water, and no wind shadow.
riv2511

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it is so shallow is the lack of snowpack in the PNW. The river right now is like late August September.. I have lived here 20 years and have seen the river this low in the corridor and at Dougs before. BUT it is Memorial day weekend so be prepared fornthe lowest river levels since windsurfing started here. Its only going to get lower/worse. So be careful and appreciate the swell while it lasts...
katosandog

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riv2511 wrote:
The reason it is so shallow is the lack of snowpack in the PNW. The river right now is like late August September.. I have lived here 20 years and have seen the river this low in the corridor and at Dougs before. BUT it is Memorial day weekend so be prepared fornthe lowest river levels since windsurfing started here. Its only going to get lower/worse. So be careful and appreciate the swell while it lasts...

That might not be the case. I think the river is low because as much storage as possible is being filled, but Cliff Mass out of Seattle notes this recently:

"And keep in mind that Columbia River flows, draining off the higher terrain of British Columbia, which had a better snowpack AND more precipitation, will only be slightly below normal. Plenty of water for hydropower, irrigation from the Columbia, and fish in the river. And because of substantial reservoirs and wise stewardship, nearly all of the populated areas of the region will have sufficient water."

His blog is excellent: http://cliffmass.blogspot.ca/2015/05/drought-misinformation.html
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who is he, and what does he know that the forecasters and government and private water-monitoring agencies do not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: