myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Train crash
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Train crash Reply with quote

Unfortunate for liberals that have been trying to punish people for driving cars and force people into trains that they have been crashing a lot lately.
What is pissing me off about this latest one is they are trying to claim that because maybe someone threw a rock or something at the engineers window this is justification for running it up to 106 MPH and off the rails on a turn.
Obviously these people have never been on a train, I remember when I was a little kid going up to SF with my mom watching a whole gang of kids throwing rocks at the train as we went thru Hunters Point, busted out a window or two, the conductor just walked thru and said it happens all the time and there was nothing they could do about. AND.... the engineer didn't speed up to 100 mph and run it off the tracks.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the ONLY one who knows what happened, conveniently "can't remember" what happened. How convenient!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone buying this BS? As Mr. Roberts might say: "Can you say, save your ass"
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah exactly, can't remember, maybe can't remember because he was asleep with his foot on the gas pedal.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time to allocate the proper spending on automation. cars can drive all over the country with no one in them, well certainly we can afford to have trains have proper safety systems when a conductor is sick, or whatever hit.
mac

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What saddens me is how poorly informed the sad dog is. Ignorance can be cured--but not by subscribing to brainwashing. Trains are dramatically safer than cars:

Quote:
Sunday’s catastrophe — the first time passengers have died in Metro-North’s more than 30-year history — might prompt more than a few commuters to consider handing in their monthly commuter-rail passes and making the trip to work by car instead. But that would be a mistake — and not just because the traffic entering and exiting Manhattan during rush hour could be its own circle of hell. Despite the recent accident, traveling by rail is far safer on a mile-by-mile basis than riding in a car — though neither is as safe as flying. Here’s a quick rundown of the fatality rates for different modes of transportation, taken from a recent paper in Research in Transportation Economics (and hat tip to this piece by Leighton Walter Kille, which directed me to the original research):
CARS/LIGHT TRUCKS: 7.28 fatalities per billion passenger miles
COMMUTER/LONG-HAUL TRAINS: 0.43 fatalities per billion passenger miles
BUSES: 0.11 deaths per billion passenger miles
AVIATION: 0.07 deaths per billion passenger miles
http://science.time.com/2013/12/02/despite-metro-north-crash-riding-the-rails-is-safer-than-riding-a-car/

That's right, about 20 time safer. I think you Republicans should man up and take responsibility for repeatedly cutting the budget for trains. After all, when you have declared war on the poor (and on liberals) there are bound to be a few casualties.

Quote:
A Republican-controlled House panel on Wednesday approved deep spending cuts to Amtrak's budget just hours after a deadly crash in Philadelphia.

The Appropriations Committee backed a $55 billion transportation and housing measure after rejecting Democratic attempts to boost spending on Amtrak by more than $1 billion, including $556 million targeted for the railroad's Northeast corridor, site of the derailment. The vote was 30-21 along party lines.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/house-gop-panel-proposes-amtrak-cuts-31002883
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make it sound like if they had passed this bill last week or whenever it would have prevented the train crash a few days later, rubbish.
I'm wondering how much pork was in this bill which I'm sure is why it didn't pass.
But my original point was about the idiot that ran it off it's rails and the idiots that are making up stuff to protect him
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle - spot the unconvincing propaganda!

A one man, one way, suicide journey to Mars is statistically, (deaths per million miles), safer than daring to travel anywhere by car.

Yet they wonder why some of us still prefer to place our fate in our OWN hands!
mac

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bb--how long have Republicans cut funding for Amtrak?

You're silly as well as misinformed. Carry on.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well isn't that the liberals solution to everything, just throw more money at it, isn't it any wonder why we are so far in debt?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes down to creating ridiculous debit, the Bush/Cheney Administration and a Republican Congress takes the cake with their decision to foolishly start the War in Iraq, and then deliberately kick the can down the road by deciding not to pay for it. And, add to that, the blatant irresponsibility to give everyone a big tax break to further exacerbate our debit problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: