myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
water detector
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winfreak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars:
Quote:
d) I don't see meterguy buying any boards ... just declaring board after board after board water-laden.

Just because I found some moisture in 2 of your boards and chose not to purchase any of your boards is no reason to mount a feeble attack against me. "board after board" is only correct because there were 2 in a row. The majority were moisture free. I applaud and thank KMF for his measured response.
You seemed like a very nice fellow in person. I wonder why you have such a different personality at times on this forum?
................. The meterguy aka crazy inventor guy aka Peter who is probably someone who could be a good friend once you get to know me! (and trust/ respect is restored)
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No attack intended, Peter, and no hard feelings ... just my own and many others' observations and comments over a couple of years regarding your meter being run over boards all over the swap meets. I'd be a lot more convinced of the meter's applicability if the manufacturer didn't say it was not applicable or if I experienced any correlation between a board's performance or durability and the meter's observations.

I would like to know, whether I'm buying or selling, which boards have enough water in them to matter, but I'm not convinced that meter achieves that. Do you have any evidence to counter the instrument manufacturer's statements that it won't work for hulls (or objects we don't want to poke holes in, for the pin model)? I AM a very nice fellow (first-hand evidence is far more valid than the attributes other ASSIGN us online), but I'm also pragmatic (some people can't reconcile the two; their problem). Regardless of the topic, I prefer evidence when a decision warrants the effort of gathering it.

Reading further, I see that KMF's subsequent and more detailed endorsement supports your enthusiasm and conviction (except that the pin/penetration requirement supposedly came from the mfr regarding the meter model you posted; maybe it's been changed). KMF's observation that you're buying rather than just kibitzing also helps, as I share your enthusiasm for picking pristine, high-performance, low-hanging fruit. I always take a scale that any buyer is welcome to use; maybe your meter is a useful adjunct to that.

Or maybe it is oversensitive to imperfections that will never matter. I've bought flat-out HEAVY, very obviously damaged, boards very cheaply just to try them out to see if I want to buy a good one. I drive or suck out whatever water I can (fish tank air pump plus solar heat), duct tape the damage, and test drive 'em. If I like them, I'll find and buy a good one; if not, I pass and am out only a few bucks. My point is that even with those heavy ones, I have yet to a) loosen a vent screw after pumpout, b) bother to follow the shade on the beach, or c) experience any delam or other structural problems with these boards. Maybe the meter's best use is for folks who want to keep $2,000 boards for many seasons of frequent use and who would actually bother to perform open heart surgery because a meter showed increased capacitance near a screw hole or deck box.

I have other, more direct ways to test (and fix) screw holes, with varying sensitivity as desired. But if a favorite hull of mine ever failed or leaked, I'd chop it up*, put it in my garbage can, and grab a light, dry clone off my backup rack. My nine light, solid, and for all I can tell dry Maui Project Waves cost me less than one new one, and are thus disposable. Even Eva says she can't get ANY damaged EPS board as dry as new; EPS is just too hydrophylic.

* One exception was the NEW custom board that repeatedly and completely fell apart within a couple of sessions. I had the original shaper fix it 2 or 3 times, gave up, and sold it for a few bucks to a lighter guy who just wanted to try it out (I gave him a moneyback total satisfaction guarantee). PS: he loves it.

My less-than-stellar trust and respect is in your meter in this particular application, not in you. This is technical and practical, not personal, to me.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gorge swap meets this upcoming season, isobars is ramping up to sell very select elements of his huge quiver. Check out the links below. Imagine the used car salesman's hype in setting the stage for the events, rich with glowing reviews and colorful personal stories to whet the appetite.

With the fresh bait in the water, the last thing he needs is folks with portable humidity sensors. "Even if there's a bit of moisture in there, this baby is a guaranteed sweet ride."

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29715

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29714
westender

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Iso's board selection.
kmf

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO had a nice collection of F2 maui projects and a Goya board at the meet, they were clean, not beat up, nicely presented, and cheap....I'm not sure what Swchandlers problem is.

KMF
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem? I don't have a problem at all with isobars' boards. As a extra plus, isobars has probably cladded these sweet rides with lots of pads. However, he does seem a little bit unsettled about humidity sensors.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop baiting him chandler, this is how these threads devolve.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries beaglebuddy, isobars doesn't see my posts.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I liked Iso's board selection.

kmf wrote:
ISO had a nice collection of F2 maui projects and a Goya board at the meet, they were clean, not beat up, nicely presented, and cheap....

And, in tune with my own experience and advice from others, those were my lesser offerings. I saved the more pristine, flashier, and newer boards for the much bigger, broader, better funded swap meets coming up. Prices will still be low, but I'm shooting for a broader appeal for the broader audience. I've often observed and heard others say that the April meet is primarily just local bears like myself coming out of hibernation to see who survived the winter, more a gabfest than a shopping spree. That seems true most, but not all, years.

Gonna find out how many boards I can safely fit into an Odyssey and stock it based on that. 9's easy; shooting for a baker's dozen. (Freckles thus has to stay home, Eric. Smile )

HOWEVER, nobody's getting a crack at my reserve stock of cold-dead-hands boards. It actually pains me to see boards that perform in that rarefied atmosphere go unsold at swap meets*, because it means buyers looking for that performance category at a great price haven't done enough research to know what they're missing. When I see that happening to sellers at swaps, I comment to interested shoppers what great boards they are and for what kind of sailing they're best suited. I hope I've helped a few folks sell and buy some excellent gear that way.

* Until recently, I just snapped 'em up (Dave at Windance once told me they sell as fast as they come in. I just smiled, having BEEN that buyer and having intercepted one on its way to his shop from Idaho.)

Shopping is fun for guys, too, if the quarry is right.

And once again, if Chandler (or his clones) asks a legitimate, relevant, adult question anyone wants answered, paraphrase it so I can see and answer it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: