myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, will this board be suitable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso,

I strongly doubt a coach could get the curiosity out of you!!!

I also doubt you are easy to coach... I was lucky as a teen because I had a very good fencing coach (Olympic level) and I learned to put my trust in a coach. Now, I can still do that since I understand I have to get in the zone the coach is trying to put me.

In technical sports, it's often weird because many coaches just don't understand well what's going on and will have explanations (physics) that are out of whack. Still they can be good coaches because they will get you to feel and perform correctly. This can be hard on the trust tough!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
iso,

I strongly doubt a coach could get the curiosity out of you!!!

I also doubt you are easy to coach... I was lucky as a teen because I had a very good fencing coach (Olympic level) and I learned to put my trust in a coach. Now, I can still do that since I understand I have to get in the zone the coach is trying to put me.

In technical sports, it's often weird because many coaches just don't understand well what's going on and will have explanations (physics) that are out of whack. Still they can be good coaches because they will get you to feel and perform correctly. This can be hard on the trust tough!

I doubt it, too, both because of my nature and the fact that no two of us are alike. Whether it's coaches, doctors, nutritionists, teachers, etc., the large-population statistics they must rely on for facts and methods are guidelines, not rigid rules, and (should) change as research progresses. I've had two sports coaches, one exceptional and one exceptionally bad from my perspective. My Tai Kwan-do instructor rewarded positive results, while my HS track coach was all about denigration. Guess which sport I stuck with longer. When I pay a gym instructor (most of ours have degrees in sports physiology and compete in many sports), they often tell me they learn something new from me. None of us can know everything.

Any instructor, for example, who tells me to make wiiiiide, gliding step jibes is obviously not considering my lack of balance, especially without a powered-up sail in my hands. I just ask him how well he can jibe after chugging a fifth of whiskey (I can't stand up well on one beer.)

My knee rehab PT, however, does knees full time and is facing the inevitable arthritis a decade after his own ACL repair. I had pages of questions, alright, but he was Da Boss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: