myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, will this board be suitable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdawson6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info HobieWanKenobi, I don't know if I can make it this Tuesday but I should definitely be there at some point!

I do actually have a larger SUP that has a spot for a mast, but it looks like its just for light windsurfing. I don't know the volume but its 10ft long and very thick. I wasn't planning on using it for windsurfing but thought I would post a pic just to get some feedback.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  521.15 KB
 Viewed:  13292 Time(s)

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gdawson6, welcome to windsurfing.

I believe your SUP doesn't have a place to attach a mast for windsurfing. I think the dark area near the center of your SUP is only a handhold place.

Thank you for using the term "athletic". That got me thinking about what it really takes to learn to windsurf and how to describe that to a beginner. Let me give you a tiny bit of a first windsurfing lesson.

1. There isn't any necessary strength difference between those who know how to windsurf and those who don't. Strength has very little to do with learning to windsurf. A question to ask is not are you strong enough to learn to windsurf, but can you dance well enough to learn to windsurf? Could you learn to be an average or better dancer? Do you have the balance and do you listen well enough to take in instruction? Everyone who has ridden a bicycle knows it takes less strength than walking, yet learning to ride a bicycle is difficult. Windsurfing is like that only more complicated. Too often a beginner tries to bring strength and aggressive determination to the task of learning to windsurf. Instead, a beginner needs patience, persistence, and an attitude of partnership. The wind and water are not foes to be subdued with strength, but forces you can learn to join as a partner.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If gdawson6 has a SUP , perhaps he has already "danced" on the water ??
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't dance yet I have been windsurfing for 35 years. Athletic people tend to learn things like windsurfing quickly. If they are willing to take instruction.
Its not required for our sport but it sure can hurt...
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a bit different, but the last thing that I want to envision learning windsurfing is someone shouting at me on the water while I'm trying to do something. I've seen it going on at ABK camps, and I have to admit that I found it irritating just listening to the whole scene.

Perhaps it takes longer to learn when you have to figure things out yourself, but I was able to figure out the basics on the first day I tried to windsurf. It really isn't that hard to put things in perspective and learn how everything works. There just aren't that many variables. I wouldn't say it was super easy, because I probably fell in 50 times that day and had to camber back up on the board each time. As a result, I was sore for a week afterwards, and I was in very good shape at the time. But, by the end of that session, I could dependably sail out, tack the board around and return to the same spot. After that, it was simply a process of refining what I'd learned.

Now, in considering the value of lessons, a person needs to decide for themselves whether they're receptive to being told what to do, or whether they can readily figure out how everything works on their own. It's a choice, and I think it's safe to say that folks can learn in different ways. Even if you're encouraged and helped by formal lessons, there is still that point in time where you need to step out on your own and build your skills and confidence. While I know that I'm going against the grain of those adamant about the value and importance of lessons in learning the sport, I just wanted to point out that lessons aren't even close to being a necessary prerequisite. Lessons will not dependably create windsurfers, and that's a fact. It takes a drive and commitment over the long run that can't be learned in lessons.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Athletic people tend to learn things like windsurfing quickly.

Unless they let their fragile ego get in the way. It's a tough awakening for an accomplished jock to finally find a sport he can't master in a mere month ... or ten years. As in no other sport I can remember and as Del said, patience and perseverance are critical to sticking with this one.
gdawson6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to not like too much instruction... I am going to take at least one lesson, possibly more, but mainly to get an idea of what it should be like and get all the warnings on what not to do, then I usually learn through trial and error on my own. That was how I learned how to surf, took one 2 hour lesson and then just spent at least a year trying to turn that knowledge into skill. I did read the forums a lot when I ran into challenges. I'm still not a great surfer but if you give me a nice clean 5 foot wave I can definitely have a lot of fun.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you grew up sailing sunfish, laser or similar, you are way ahead of the game. Those small sailboats in big winds teach many things. I have seen many who know how to sail them, pick up windsurfing right away. I also have seen a great athlete who didn't know the first thing about sailing and wind direction. He failed miserably. He tried and tried but didn't have a clue which way the wind was blowing and which way the sail was supposed to go. He gave up and sold all his stuff. Just couldn't figure it out. Not saying it cant be done, but much better if you understand wind and sails. Surfing probably helps, but I do not surf so I cannot comment.

It is my belief, if you know how to sail, and have a basic video showing how to stand, uphaul, tack and sheet in and out, you will go a long way on your own. It's just about balance technique and holding the sail in a 3D world. Lessons would be good if you hit a plateau, but so many good videos to learn from if you are motivated. Once you learn the basics, your goal is to get locked in the harness and footstraps. The first time you do that, you are a goner. Hooked for life. The rush of speed and control are like a drug.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

del, that was very apt. probably the best i have ever heard. thanks.

i thought i would be decent at windsurfing because of my skiing and surfing background. at first, i stank at it. yet, i am a good enough dancer....

instruction? worth every penny. persistence? need lots.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdawson6 wrote:
I tend to not like too much instruction... I am going to take at least one lesson, possibly more, but mainly to get an idea of what it should be like and get all the warnings on what not to do, then I usually learn through trial and error on my own. That was how I learned how to surf, took one 2 hour lesson and then just spent at least a year trying to turn that knowledge into skill. I did read the forums a lot when I ran into challenges. I'm still not a great surfer but if you give me a nice clean 5 foot wave I can definitely have a lot of fun.

Nothing wrong with self teaching! I taught myself to windsurf too. Did I make mistakes ? Sure, but I learned a lot in the process. There is lots of information online, instructional videos/DVDs, articles and forum treads abound. Making yourself acquainted with the windsurfing folks in your area will help you tremendously in finding suitable equipment and choosing suitable venues to practice. Here is some instructional material to get you started. Notice my source-a Starboard fan indeed Wink
http://www.start-windsurfing.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: