myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ex-Windsurfer, Kiteboarding, Now Wind-KiteSurfer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
critter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Ex-Windsurfer, Kiteboarding, Now Wind-KiteSurfer Reply with quote

After seventeen seasons of windsurfing, I caught the kiting bug. What a rush. Four seasons later I have the strangest urge, to windsurf again. Ya that's right. I miss the old girl.

Now depending on my mood or the conditions, I'm going to take along my 88 liter Fanatic freestyle wave and my 5.2/4.7/4.2 Northwaves. I sold the rest of my gear and hung on to my favorites. Deep down I knew I'd be back someday.

I've come to the realization as different as both sports seem, they actually parallel one another. Yes they both have pro's and con's and each can be argued, but that' just it. Kiting is exciting, with unmatched wind range, crazy fun even in light winds, awesome on a surfboard in waves, jumping to the moon, carving turns, tricks, and more tricks, BUT-BUT, there's just something about windsurfing...

There's a feeling of intimacy, just the wind, a sail, board, and you connecting all three. With Kiteboarding you feel the board, the bar in your hands, but in reality you're flying a wing. It's pulling you. Don't get me wrong, I like that feeling too. It's just a different experience. The boards even plane differently under your feet, more of a feel thing. Both are so cool though, I can't say which I like better.

Ultimately I can ride faster on my windsurfer, although the sensation of speed on with a kite doesn't diminish it. Still, I can go balls to the wall on my windsurfer and hit a ramp. Nice! Carving turns. With windsurfing or kiting, both are uniquely different experiences.

Some will argue the safety issue - kiting vs windsurfing. Kiting has come a long way and it's a non issue if you apply common sense. That said, I won't argue the point to hard, yes windsurfing is still safer overall.

Kiter's say windsurfing is boring by comparison, but that's mostly by those who never windsurfed (although in lighter winds I agree with kiters). Pro-con, on and on. It doesn't matter. Both are wonderfully "exciting" sports.

For me, I feel blessed. How fortunate are we to live in place were we can experience the greatest wind sports on the planet.

Besides, who says you can't do both. I'm a Wind-KiteSurfer. It's good to be back!
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-stated, Critter.

Welcome back to windsurfing!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! Good description of the different feel of both sports. I was just a windsurfer, then did both for a couple years, now back to just windsurfing. If I had unlimited storage, time, and money I'd still do both. Smile
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several good threads about returning to windsurfing from kiting on the Seabreeze forum from down under, here's a couple.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Returning-to-Windsurfing-ex-Kitesurfers/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Windsurfing-vs-Kiting-2/

As well as here I'm sure, you're not alone.
One thing about the Seabreeze forum, it appears that windsurfing in Oz and NZ is still huge, all over both countries, it's very impressive. They get the newer equipment before we do also, lucky buggers (as they would say).
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, doing both would be ideal. Both are very cool. For me though, when I was into kiting, it was all I wanted to do. Must have sailed 3 times in 10 years. But that last session was epic and I returned to windsurfing, with the plan of continuing to kite. However, I have the stoke to windsurf so have not kited in 4 years. Still kind of miss it though. I even bought some kites last year, but never used them, just wanted to sail I guess.
katiedog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to balance them both out.Trouble is I have been windsurfing for 40+ years and kiting only 15 ,so I have to favor kiting more often .Any time I need 5.3mtr or larger I kite.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katiedog wrote:
I am trying to balance them both out.Trouble is I have been windsurfing for 40+ years and kiting only 15 ,so I have to favor kiting more often .Any time I need 5.3mtr or larger I kite.

I think the 5.3m cutoff would be a good one. But powered up 6.0 on a freestyle board is pretty killer and better than mowing the lawn on a kite, at least for me.

Kiting on a surfboard or skim is certainly preferable to slogging, but slogging is preferable to kite in the water and swimming in.
katiedog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not powered on a 12mtr, I do a downwind run or distance paddle on my OC1,cycle or golf. My biz. is landscaping,I don't even mow my own lawn.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading the Aussie threads. I never got beyond the intro lesson on kiting, just didn't want to deal with that big thing up there in the air. The feeling of being a little kit of board-sail-me is what drives me. There seems to be consensus that kiting is more dangerous (although modern gear and especially, common sense makes a huge difference. Most wind surfing disasters also seem to involve dismissing common sense too IMO), easier to learn and quicker to get to the point of no longer being challenged (having learned what one wanted to learn on a kite), AND that more people are returning to windsurfing. The gear has progressed SO MUCH from when many of the kiters left windsurfing that they are quite surprised with the capabilities of modern gear. A quick story; one guy came back to windsurfing (a very experienced windsurfer and kiter) after a near disaster fall and becoming bored. He started windsurfing again and was back to sailing well when he got a new modern Goya board. We literally saw the difference in his windsurfing style instantly! All of a sudden he was slashing and taking full advantage of the modern board's turning and playfulness. I talked to him right when he got the new board and he said he couldn't believe how great the new board was. Now he's talking about learning trick stuff. A sudden transformation for sure.
Finally I will point out that Time On Water is precious regardless. A link back to my article on windsurfers high (shameless self promotion for sure);
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26720&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sorry+runners
freeskiing

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: knee problems: windsurfing vs. kitesurfing Reply with quote

after uncountable knee traumata and OPs it seems that my windsurf career is going to be shorter than I hoped. so the question: which is the more knee-friendly sport? i do kitesurfing to in lighter winds, no huge jumps just strapless forth and back. maybe waves some day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: