myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Point Conception / Jalama Beach. Where to launch?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Point Conception / Jalama Beach. Where to launch? Reply with quote

Any suggestions where exactly to sail at Point Conception / Jalama Beach? Forecast looks good next Tuesday/Wednesday. Maybe there are any locals sailing all the time? Looks like it usually gets much windier there than in LA. Thanks!
mikecole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diman,

We launch at Jalama proper. I prefer to rig on the grass next to the playground and walk kit out past the horse-shoe pits. I think day parking is $10 now? The sticker is the way to go if you go more than 10 times a year.

Monday and Tuesday were good days. Monday was 5m followed by 4.2m. Tuesday was properly windy and nasty, 4.2m followed by 3.7m for me.

The entire coast from Gaviota to Jalama is private property. Hollister ranch and Bixby/Coho ranch. No access unless by boat. North of Jalama is Vandenberg AFB so that too is off limits... Jalama is it. Pt. Conception is crazy windy but... no access Sad

Lastly, check platform harvest. If it's > 12ft bring a spare mast. If Harvest < 6ft Jalama is friendly and fun and can accommodate novice wave sailors.

Hope to see you at Jalama soon! It's an amazing place! Even if you get skunked the drive is beauty and the burgers are delicious.

Mike
Diman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikecole,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. Hope to see you on the water then!
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your surfboard if you surf. Mornings and late afternoons tend to glass off most days.
Most offshore wind would be N of the rivermouth, just N of the restaurant. It turns side on by 10 most days, so is a 9-10 AM spot only, but the best for DTL sailing.
Right off the restaurant is where they used to hold the wave contests, the most solid wind area.
Jalama means "changing winds" in Chumash, so don't be surprised if it veers 90 degrees, or goes full 360, while you're in the water.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, you should watch the surf report . This can ruin your day if it's XL, and you're unprepared.
Diman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got it! Thanks!

As well, maybe someone could clear out for me what's the spot called Arroyo, and how to get there? I heard the wave there is more friendly? I know it's a longer drive, but still supposed to be not too far?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arroyo is a few miles past San Simeon. You can see the Hearst castle from the water. This spot has more consistent winds, catches south swells, is cold like Jalama, has very big fish/mammals, and is beautiful.

Surf can be large there too, but not as thunderous as Jalama. Park off the highway, climb through the fence, avoid the bulls and cattle, avoid the large elephant seals, and rig small if it's windy.

This spot is an easy drive to Big Sur, one of the most beautiful natural wonders of the world.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STeve ....are you suggesting that I don't walk accross the field with my red NorthWave already rigged when I go to Arroyo to meet NW30?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulls are long gone, that was when the Hearst Corp. was in charge of that property, but now it's under the control of State Parks, so no more bulls, but also no more dogs (don't like that part). Most all of the elephant seals have returned to the ocean, but some will be back in about a month to molt on the beach, but they are no threat.

Yes, the south swells as well as the west swells can be very big at Arroyo, with big close outs on the beach, but not always. You can always sail down to Castles just south of Arroyo to catch the big souths that peak up there. North swells are the best for straight out in front, also if it's big enough, the outer reef at the north end will pick up some big swells that can break giving you a well overhead ride down the line.
Friendlier than J's? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Below is a pic of Arroyo during a large south.

cali_dreamin0000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.63 KB
 Viewed:  18953 Time(s)

cali_dreamin0000.jpg

Diman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume on a windy day I can recognize the spot (Arroyo) by the sails and kites in the water? I can see it out of my car on Highway 1?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: