myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is the Outer Banks Ready?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Is the Outer Banks Ready? Reply with quote

No, not for Team Abide....I am sure that it can absorb that level of moronosity.

No....Not for the first (to my knowledge) East Coast unveiling of SUPSQUATCH...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgtzlnksBKw&feature=youtu.be&list=UUzayOLb1iijQeZltWPdy7IQ

But...Are you guys ready...weather wise ?.....I wanna loose some gloves boots and hoods......Air temps are climbing.

Gonna make a run ...act like an April Fool, and dust the Easter Bunny

Only way it doesn't happen is 2+ days of rain

btbill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Outer Banks Ready? Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
No, not for Team Abide....I am sure that it can absorb that level of moronosity.

No....Not for the first (to my knowledge) East Coast unveiling of SUPSQUATCH...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgtzlnksBKw&feature=youtu.be&list=UUzayOLb1iijQeZltWPdy7IQ

But...Are you guys ready...weather wise ?.....I wanna loose some gloves boots and hoods......Air temps are climbing.

Gonna make a run ...act like an April Fool, and dust the Easter Bunny

Only way it doesn't happen is 2+ days of rain

I would recommend waiting until May/June if possible if interested in the surf side. Ocean water remains in the 40s and some of the local crew is in Maui until mid-late April. Weather this time of year is the typical roller coaster with days of air temps in the upper 30s/low 40s to upper 60s/70s. The variation is only allowing the water to warm/cool on the sound side. Ocean side, water temps are mid-40s on the east facing and ticklings of 60s on the south side.

Note, by May/June the SWs are locked in and the water will warm allowing no boots/hoods. Right now though, hoods and boots are a must. Gloves optional if you are out on a warm windy day.

Additionally note, with the cold ocean water and warm air days, there is a lot of decoupling. Surface wind is very inconsistent, thus another reason to wait until May/June for the ocean water to warm allowing the decoupling to be minimized.

Bill
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not waiting....Jonesing

If not us ....who
If not there....where
If not now.....when

I might not make it till May....

Decoupling?
We still decouple in August.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the water is around 50ºF near Nags Head, but around 60 near Avon and in the mid-60s in Buxton. I'm sure outcast will be fine!

Hatteras Water 0326.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.55 KB
 Viewed:  16948 Time(s)

Hatteras Water 0326.jpeg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although maybe the iWindsurf water temps in the image above are as accurate as the wind forecasts. The satellite images are closer to what btbill reported. But if you go down to Frisco, the water is almost 30 degrees warmer than on Cape Cod right now. The Nantucket sound buoy reports 35ºF; water close to shore is colder since there's still a lot of ice melting.

NOA water temps.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.57 KB
 Viewed:  16940 Time(s)

NOA water temps.jpeg

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sailed at the Canadian Hole in a 3.2 and boots this morning... No gloves, no hood, and was quite comfortable. That is, of course, subject to change (and probably will with tomorrow's 45 degree air North wind forecast). But then, the majority of next week looks like SW winds and air in the 60s and 70s... so I say YES. The Outer Banks is Ready. Come on down (but don't forget to pack the cold weather gear just in case) !

http://wind-nc.com
btbill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I stuck my hand in the water at Conch St in Nags Head today, and I can confirm, the water temp is much closer to the satellite imagery with the very dark blue (40s). My 6 mil booties and hood will be wet though most/all of April unless can catch a south side session where indeed the water is in the 50s/60s.

All in all, if you can hold out your OBX wave sailing plan until May/June, highly recommend both for warmer water (no booties/hoods), and solid SW wind (minimal decoupling) hopefully?!

Unless.... you are planning to SUP wavesail where goal is to not fall in (in that case decoupling/cold water...who cares)! Very Happy

Bill
klauser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postponing sailing joy seems ludicrous after such a harsh winter. It's blowing S at 30-40mph at least right now behind the shop and I am going to be LIT on a 3.7 in about 5 minutes...I say "Come on down!"
Brian- OceanAir Sports
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School spring vacation is my send off. April 11 arrival for a week.

I missed last year.
Same week:
Year before that I had 1 windy day out of 7. (blew 35+ and I was sick that day)
Year before that I had 2 days, 5.3 ocean side in Frisco.

Better armed for the water this year ... added a Kids rig, Sealion, Paddle, 5.7, kids full 3.2 suit.

JP
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more week to go for us! I've been out a few days now here in NY after the ice finally melted. Right now I'll just settle for a session where I don't have to walk through ice and snow to get to the water!! Hatteras, here we come!!!

Mike Burns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: