myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Internet wind meter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Internet wind meter Reply with quote

We are going to set up a wind meter at a rowena house. Anyone have suggestions for a cheap and easy setup? It doesnt have to be the cheapest, it should still be reliable, but it doesnt need to be professional grade.

We only need wind speed and direction, but it should be solar powered and have wifi ability to be able to put the real time data onto a website.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been happy with my personal weather station from http://www.ambientweather.com/wiwest2.html

But like real estate... location.... location... location
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at those, they have a lot of other unnecessary features though. It seems like the purely wind portion of it might not be as accurate. Its seems like there must be purely for wind that will be more accurate as far as wind without offering all the bells and whistles.
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M, iWindsurf stations are the best, but of course Rowena is already well-covered with iWindsurf's time-tested Rowena station:
http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#45.679,-121.275,15,1

For now, then, the best choice for a homeowner adding a personal weather station is Davis Instruments. If you install a station, email us (support at iwindsurf dot com), and we can add your station as a free station on iWindsurf.com, iWindsurf iPhone, iWindsurf Android, etc.
Lyleland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Weather Station Reply with quote

I had an Ambient 2080. The base station started going out after 14 months (12 mo warranty) and the plastic had degraded a to a brittle breaking point when the base station completely crapped out after 18 mo. It's more of a toy and not built for high wind and Gorge sun.

Now have a Davis Pro Vantage 2 http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06152
which is a much more reliable well built product. Shop around and you can find them for much less, found mine 250$ cheaper than Amazon. It's easy to upload data to Weather Underground or a website. http://www.snowind.net/weather/

Bells and whistles, as you called them, seem to come along for the ride on a station that will give good wind info.

Location is very important.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need a CAMERA. IW gives data for both Rowena and Doug's. I tried to get someone close to the West Rowena launch to mount a camera close to the water about 3 years ago, but I never connected the right property, willingness, and electrical. We all know data is only so helpful. Anyone who remembers the Doug's cam before the RR issues knows how great that was. The Hatchcam gets tons of views (by me alone). I will again offer up $ if someone is willing to put up a camera. If 20 people put up $50 that should be a great start. At $3/gallon or more again this summer, $50 is a steal.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution my good friends is a simple and very inexpensive tool, truly "old school" in nature. A wind chime. Yes, a wind chime.... it will dance to the tune of the wind.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be serious. The Doug's Cam was an invaluable tool.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... Doug's cam was a great tool. Problem is cost and maintenance, but I'd certainly support it if I were to sail there. Honestly, I don't sail there. I think Home Valley could use a sensor, but then I've got my wind chimes for this place. Wink Nice thing about wind chimes is the wind gods play with them instead of us windsurfers. It's a diversion tactic.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support WMP's idea of wind chime. All that is required are the right guage chime and an audio sensor + translator (analog to digital) + solar panel + modem + antenna. Rig it right (heavy-duty) in concrete on the west end of the Rowena coastline. When the wind causes a certain volume/frequency in the chime, you know it's time to drive. No need for a camera. However, old fogies/hearing-impaired might require a special app to translate volume/frequency into a graph or other symbol for perception.

P.S. See everyone in the two Universes at Rowena/Doug's on Saturday! Dress well. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: