myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My First Windsurf Trip to Hatteras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: My First Windsurf Trip to Hatteras Reply with quote

After procrastinating for the last three(3) years, I am finally going to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina for one week in May. Guess it is important to note that I reside near Montreal, Quebec, Canada where temperatures are finally getting close to freezing point in early March. My windsurf buddy and ex-colleague, Helmut, managed to go twice in the last three(3) years – after I made the initial suggestion.

So, in May I will go with Helmut since my current van is only good for local trips (old and dying). This will limit me to two(2) boards plus sails. People tell me “bring everything”, but sometimes choices need to be made …

I wrote a post on my blog in the hopes some feedback would be beneficial and did get some feedback from there and from windsurf buddies via e-mail. However, the vote is still a 50/50 split and thus I will ask your opinion here …

As discussed in my blog post, the JP SLW92 is a bit wide for the roof top, takes big fins and the 10-oh/520 mast combo = TOO BIG

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2015/02/my-first-visit-to-hatteras.html

This leaves the choice between three(3) boards..
One of these boards MUST be left behind …

The options are Fanatic BEE LTD 124, AHD FF 160 and Mistral Equipe I longboard. It is pretty sure that the BEE MUST go even though it is older, longer, etc.
So, Mistral Equipe or AHD 160 ??
The Equipe has a 30 cm /12 inch fin (good for shallows) and can be used from 12 knots to over 20 knots (BIG range).
The AHD 160 is used from 16+ knots with longer fins and is fun planing. Used with 8-oh, but also 7-oh if the water is not too choppy (FUN,FUN).
The good news is: Ocean Air Sports is 500 yards down the road.
With the Equipe and BEE, I could do a weekly rental and then always have THE shortboard for the conditions of the day. Will definitely need to rent board + sail for those 25+ knot days.
If I bring the AHD 160 and the BEE, I can always rent a SUP or bike on no-wind or light wind days and still rent on those 25+ knot days.
So, long story short:
OPTION 1. Mistral Equipe + Fanatic BEE 124
OPTION 2. AHD 160 + BEE
{sails are HSM Fire 6.3, NS Duke 6.9 and HSM SPF 8.5}
Am a heavyweight who hopes to be 100+ kilos when we go – am more now Sad
MUST also mention one of the objectives of this trip is footstraps, footstraps, footstraps …
i.e. get in & stay there
So, OPTION 1 or 2??
What say you ??
thanx in advance !!
asiat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your primary goal is footstraps, I think I would advise option 1. You being a big guy and having OA right down the street makes this work IMO. Also all the other shops are within 5 minutes by car so if you have the time shop around. I recommend Wind-NC.

I actually don't know for sure but I assume it will be easier to get in the straps in light wind on the equipe. I imagine it won't round up so much. Also on the practical side, it won't need such a big fin either, so you don't have to worry about running aground. It also should be much easier to use for light wind practice (i.e. tacks, jibes, backwinding).

I also wouldn't bother with the 8.5 just bring your 8.0. More grunt on the low end and you should be able to use it on your Bee once the wind gets stronger.

I checked your blog and this graph is at the spot where you will be sailing. I think in May the wind is starting to transition and has a more equal share of Northerly (strong) and Southerly (consistent and warm). You made the right choice finally going to Hatteras. It most likely will become an annual spring pilgrimage for you.

outcast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Equipe and the Bee.

I don't understand the phenomena, but basically there's a lot of hanging out waiting for wind when you go to Hatteras, and the wind always happens 2 hours earlier or later than the time that you decide that you want to hang out.

In other words the sailing window is wide open, but everyone always tries to make it happen when they think it should

You will spend much more fun sailing if you bring the Equipe and then jump to the bee...Rather than trying to make the 160 work....unless you do the sensible thing and stay away from the water until the time is right!
Good luck...I can't

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen to the timing comment.

i texted a bunch of wave sailors yesterday before dawn, on my way to a great first light to noon session. some showed while i was derigging.

WTF do people do to take so long to get off their butts? we're all a bunch of volunteer firemen when it comes down to it. gotta go when the wind blows.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
tm00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe you should have a great time in Hatteras. The sailing sites down there are really good for learning such things as the footstraps. BTW Andy and his ABK group are in Hatteras at the beginning of May. If you could get a lesson it pays off big time. If not a lesson, check with the local stores because usually Andy is doing a lecture on a week night.

Tom (Plattsburgh)
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring the equipe for the light wind days to get out on the water. Since you're planning on renting at Ocean Air anyway, you shouldn't need any other gear. You don't just get the one board/sail when you rent. You can go over and exchange it as often as you need. Just look out the window, see what the wind is doing then walk over and exchange the rental gear as the conditions change. The gear is all very new and will be a lot more user friendly than what your'e used to. And there are plenty of new boards and sails to choose from.

Have a great trip!!

Mike Burns
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opiton 1. When the tide is out, it's shallow and really shallow in some places. Long fins can be bad news. Weed fins can be a blessing too since it can be weedy, but I don't know for sure in May.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all that feedback

It is unanimous here - Mistral Equipe + Fanatic BEE 124
and rent from either Ocean Air or Wind-NC which are 5 minutes apart

Many thanks for your input !!!
will bring both SW Retro 8-oh and HSM SPF 8.5
The Retro has the grunt and the SpeedFreak the range in 16+ knots where you don't need to come in when OVER !!
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my Equipe II down to Hatteras the past 3 trips and have been glad to have it. The Equipe and a 125lt board covers a wide range of wind. My wife is from Montreal, I've sailed the Lake near St Agathe but none of the St Lawrence River sites. One of my weeks this spring includes the 1st week of May.

Let's hope for good wind.

SD
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joethewindsurfa, looking forward to meeting you soon! Watch out, this first trip will probably be the start of a semi-annual pilgrimage every year for the next 20+ years straight! Laughing Cool

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: