myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Article on Windsurfing in Sailing World Magazine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what it's about? ;*)

-Craig

Darbonne wrote:
Most of what you see on the net is the sexy wave guys/gals flying through the air. maybe that is what most people think windsurfing is all about.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Yup. Many people have long forgotten how to play.
What a stupid statement. I haven't seen the rulebook on how to have fun windsurfing.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
I have been trying for a couple of years now to generate some interest in windsurfing at my lake. I have had some interest , but as of yet no one has stepped up and actually purchased a board and sail.

The Columbia River flows right through the heart of the city I live in. A beautiful, extensive, heavily used park runs for miles along its shorelines, readily viewable from front lawns, office buildings, restaurant booths ... even my dentist's chair. Most people here know what windsurfing is because they've been to Hood River downriver apiece.

HOWEVER ... what they SEE of WSing in town is largely a mix of two things: overpowered survival reaches and helmeted heads bobbing down the river. That's because the wind is normally totally ripslog (5 mpg OR 30+ mph every few seconds, with little in between) and the current is several knots. Oh ... and it's usually at dusk in November. i.e., it makes almost no one exclaim, "Oh, I REALLY want to do that." It's also why a big crowd of WSers there is three.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY do people think windsurfing needs a resurgence ??

Here in Montreal there are three(3) windsurf shops - 2rad, auventfou and windspirit. okay there is also Sharks and 30noeuds, but they have become more kite oriented.

ALL 3 shops informed me that they had a good year in 2014. Two of them do extensive business over the internet and often offer free shipping, discounts, etc. Two of them also offer windsurf trips in the off-season.

I usually go to OKA parc where there are kites and windsurfers. Once you get past the shallow water(where most kiters and newbie windsurfers stay), there are only the BIG motor boats and sailboats to contend with...

Will the local windsurfers have more fun if there are more windsurfers ??
Non, it's a solitary sport with some camaraderie on the water and after.

Of the seven people I have brought out to the water in the last 5 years, 3.5 embarked into the sport and three were previous windsurfers. The 1/2 says he will purchase when he goes back to Morroco. So, I brought three x-windsurfers back to the water... For newbies, I give up.

Will definitely continue to share the stoke with blog , chat and videos...
Other than that will keep the FUN and windsurf religion to myself Smile
http://joewindsurfer.com
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree. My usual spot is usually too damned crowded and getting worse in the warmer months.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
As a newbie to the sport, I must say that it has been tricky wading through all the information and different types of sailing/gear in order to find out what I needed to get sailing. For me racing is just an excuse to go someplace fun and share the experience with like minded folks. Racing also is a way for me to build skills. I also like sailing back and forth in a 5 MPH wind. I have been trying for a couple of years now to generate some interest in windsurfing at my lake. I have had some interest , but as of yet no one has stepped up and actually purchased a board and sail. I am going to keep trying to get a windsurfing club at lake D'arbonne. Most of what you see on the net is the sexy wave guys/gals flying through the air. maybe that is what most people think windsurfing is all about.

YES YES YES !!!

Many of us who raced a lot in years past continue to race for the challenge, but also because windsurfing with people who you regularly see is stupid fun. We meet new people (like Darbonne!) and learn more of those longtime friends. Kona One is less about elite racing but more about the Kona Community and how it welcomes everyone from Olympic racers to folks wishing to enjoy the camaraderie and on-the-beach friendships!

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WISH , WISH , WISH ...

Kona had caught on locally

Sailboarder is our local representative ...
When my Fanatic Ultra CAT was under repair I made a $1200 offer for a used Kona
Since it was NOT accepted, I found a Mistral Equipe I for about $200
My board quiver was covered + made some sail purchase - and when the used Kona came back to negotiate = too late
have also seen one RRD LongRider locally
had thought, hoped, wished the KONAs would catch on more locally ...
did go to one race in 2012 and they had an open race too ...
took some fotos - looked like good FUN
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kona-east-coast-championships-2012.html
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes windsurfing still so popular in France?
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
What makes windsurfing still so popular in France?

If you could figure that out you'd be the richest man in the world because you would have the key to worldwide marketing. How to get a culture to embrace a sport or lifestyle has continued to be a mystery to all.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the time it takes us to rig, today's kids and young adults send 38 mindless tweets. That whole generation is lost to the real world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: