myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
All Around Wave Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
little side bites with a dominant center fin may be apropos 2-3 times per year in florida. wouldn't surprise me if board design teams merely offered multi's as a mktg ploy.

just another fashion, methinks.

Tell that to Brian Hinde. To Robby Naish. To the owners and testers at Big Winds, a shop whose advice has never let me down in over 30 years now.

You've just got to face up to the fact that not all of us live in wind-starved locations, and some of us encounter chop now and then. Smile

I think they add enough extra bite to back up much smaller main fins, enhancing the single fin concept with less overall drag and covering up that smaller main fin's occasional slips. I hope to change that "think" to "am convinced" a few days into my next season. Having sailed Gorge Animals with and without their little Bonzer fins, I am certain they added grip at the limit without perceptibly slowing the boards down. 99% of the time a good sailor doesn't benefit from them, but in those one-percent moments they were incredible.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran into lester in rowena one day. asked him what all those fins were good for. "they help you to slash, and shred." he really didn't want to express himself any further from an engineering perspective. i tracked him on a couple of runs. the board would barely plane as i "slashed" right on by. got downwind to rugs way sooner, and proceeded to "shred" 10 times more swells than him.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the board would barely plane as i "slashed" right on by. got downwind to rugs way sooner, and proceeded to "shred" 10 times more swells than him.

So because he was underpowered and less skillful his board was at fault?

I saw a guy with a Mike's Lab board on one foot and a Quatro Quad on the other. He couldn't loop for crap and wasn't very fast, so both of those boards are POS. I see it all the time.

I also have passed Corvettes, Miatas, WRXes, $70,000 SUVs, 50 cars in one pass, and virtually every kind of car one may see in rural America in my Winnebago and in my airport shuttle bus. Does that mean none of those cars is any good, or does it just mean they're being driven by sheep?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where does it indicate in my last entry about under powered? i believe our sails were of similar size. he has always weighed less than me as well.

perhaps some of us read things that are not there? perhaps the case of arguing with those with lots of experience at misinterpreting things drags us down a bit?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
where does it indicate in my last entry about under powered?

perhaps some of us read things that are not there?

Perhaps some of us forget what we just typed three inches earlier: "the board would barely plane ... "

If Lester is not planing, he is seriously underpowered. Otherwise he planes like the energizer bunny throughout his sessions. Very few sailors at the Hatchery match his constant slashing.

The one part you got right was , "he really didn't WANT to express himself any further from an engineering perspective". He teaches physics, has been shaping surf and then WSing boards for about 40 years, and understands the physics involved as well as is needed to design very effective boards from top to bottom, nose to tail. He chose not to burden you with technical details.

I've known Lester very closely since the late '80s. You just blew your observational powers and claims credibility to hell with me.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: All Around Wave Board Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Windnc wrote:
the center fin box in mine is an "A" Box not a slot box

Uh, oh ... then I misled someone a couple of days ago. I thought
"slot box" was just yet another term for the U.S./"A"/Chinook box. Gotta go find and fix that post ...

The sad part about still ANOTHER box design (how many is that now ... 10? 12?) ... is that it took many clicks in Google to even find out the difference between A and slot boxes ... even some of the A to slot conversion sites didn't explain the differences.

I can't believe none of the critics who examine my every word caught that error.

slot box were introduced in 2009 as 2010 models , by Starboard , having been invented by Tabou who used them as well.Lots of others have also elected to use them since. Tabou chose to NOT patten it, it has now been used by almost all companies who make boards with multi fins, its fairly easy to make, very light weight.

Been out for 5 + years, not behind the power curve are some of you ? The original design has been refined to include brass sleeves for the screws, or G10 inserts molded, different screw s have been used.

I have installed 10 to date.

Its strength while debatable, allows the fin to bust loose from the box, rather than destroy the box. I say debatable, because no one quotes a fin size range larger than 28cm, and no one makes makes production fins that large, 18cm being the largest I know . The slot box when used as designed for multi fin has proven strong and light weight.

To adapt a USBox fin to a slot box, requires, removal of the pin, and removal of the tab that has the hole for the screw/bolt, AND to make sure the slot box screws have a surface to grip too.

Most critics have given up reading your posts.

Boxes that are currently used, not those on the Mayflower. SlotBox, USBox also referred to as classic. Powerbox, Tuttle, deep, and mini tuttle.

They are some other variations, like those on Real Winds & trim box.

I have never see a slot box on a surf board, John.

The LACK of informed information on his thread alone is disgusting , esp by those who opinions might be deemed trustworthy.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've known Lester very closely since the late '80s.

I had no idea you were of that persuasion. I wonder if Lester's wife knows.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

Black Project makes a 19 cm on their Freestyle Classic fin. Over time the slot box fins have a tendency of working themselves loose as the screws dig deeper and deeper grooves into the fin base. You just have to be meticulous about checking the tightness of the screws.

Coachg
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is as good as "Downton Abbey", I'm waiting for the next chapter.....

KMF
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned the following boards recently

Global Wave=Junk
Goya/Quatro=Great wave boards, but won't get you planning.
Exocet Xwave=Great wave boards, will get you planning, aren't as lively on the wave, but still shred!

I've been interested in the Kode, but really enjoy my Quatro, my Goya, and my Exocet. FYI my 17 year old son says he likes the Exocet most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: