myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
All Around Wave Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
Just my experiences....yours may vary.....good luck demo'ing all of those boards.

That's a biggie. Even though locally ideal boards grow on trees here, the shops all encourage demos, and I'm retired, the logistics of demoing even a few boards in appropriate conditions were a FAR greater hassle than just buying piles of used ones and choosing my own favorites. I expected that to tell me what shapers best suited my goals, then to just buy their newest stuff under the assumption it would be the best of the best.

Nope. Too many factors, too many personal preferences, too many sailing styles, too much marketing influence ... just too much complexity to choose some perfect board even for one session at one venue, let alone a whole season in one small ocean.

I got lucky. My informed shotgun-buying spree grew a mind of its own and became its own reward, especially because it covered the gamut from boards made 15 years ago to board made 15 days ago. The funny part is that even though my two "best boards", if I had to make such an impossible choice, are from two different centuries -- 15 years apart -- but bear the same logo: Naish. Coincidence? Maybe not, considering how many of my favorite boards also bear his mark.

Git 'er done. Do some research just as you're doing, demo 2 or 3 if it's easy enough to match boards and conditions, pull the trigger, and plan on repeating the whole frigging process every year until hell freezes over because ISIS pulled our power plug.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware of too much rocker.

i have the exo-wave 105. it puts me to sleep on flat water/bump and jump. best board ever for me in all types of surf app's except dead onshore.

newer x-waves have a faster rocker by a mere smidge. excellent all around.

lots of draggy bits (fins) and lots of rocker will make one only wish to use a board in side off waves. be careful about this.

not saying you just gotta have the x-waves, but seek boards with a speedier orientation. too wavy, you'll be like me my exo-wave 105. wouldn't trade it for the world for waves, but ended up needing a bump and jump/onshore board as well.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
sailwave wrote:
Definitely want early planing over tight turn slash ... and
I have been riding older JP FSW 84L and 98L boards but just not happy with them in the waves anymore.

Sounds self-contradictory ... unless the FSWs are lacking in some other factor.

My circa 2005 FSW's are in a different category IMO. Not wave boards. I have ridden older true wave boards that had alot of rocker and took alot of wind to get going. I don't want that at all. Something in between seems best compromise.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a good idea to make sure if the chosen board comes with blanks for the side fins, so you can use it in a single fin mode with a bigger fin when you want without resorting to DIY.
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Excluding the FSWs completely the German Surf mag rates the 2015 models from your list and the ones that I suggested as follows:the most B&J biased and least radical are the RRD Firewave, the Exocet XWave, Naish Global and Goya One /random order/ those will be the closest ones to FSWs and probably will suit your preference the most. The Starboard Kode Wave and Tabou Pocket Wave are pretty much in the middle and then Quatro Sphere and then the Fanatic Triwave as the most radical, big waves suitable one.
http://www.surf-magazin.de/test_technik/test/boards/waveboards/test-2015-waveboards/a15625.html

This looks like a very good link if I could read the language. Is there a way to convert to English? Thanks for the high level review summary in categories: B&J biased, middle oriented and more wave oriented.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailwave wrote:
I have ridden older true wave boards that had alot of rocker and took alot of wind to get going. I don't want that at all. Something in between seems best compromise.

I fully agree. That's why I mentioned U.S. mainland wave boards a few days ago ... they're much flatter and faster than the Hawaiian market bananas you're thinking of. Most shapers/brands have offered very fast wave boards for about 15 years now, relying on technique rather than drag to slow them down when surfing slow-moving wave faces. People often comment on how fast I go out there, and almost all my boards are wave boards. Most of the guys who pass me at will where I sail are also on wave boards, but also have another advantage: greater skill. Bottom line: only a racerhead needs to compromise speed to access big air, a great ride, good glide, good upwind drive, and great turning. Virtually all my wave boards are faster, smoother riding, turnier, and more exciting than my carefully chosen 2006 JP FSW, yet plane >95% as easily size for size.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pray tell
which boards are the US mainland wave boards ?

Did they originate here or live here ?

Are they designed for California, Oregon, Texas, Great Lakes, Outer Banks ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
zeppy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced a similar dilemma last winter/spring. Like you, I'm about 185 lbs and have many years of sailing under my belt. I had a quatro quad 110 for light wind wave sailing and a 2011 93 liter JP FSW (single fin) that I used as a higher wind B&J and wave sailing (both side-on and side-off) (5.8 to 4.2). I also have a JP 127 liter supersport for blasting on 7.0 days. I liked the JP FSW for B&J in the 4.7 to 5.2 range, but I didn't find it "wavey" enough. I was focused on the quatro sphere as a replacement, but was a bit concerned about its planing abilities for lighter wind B&J so I started reading reviews and talking to people about other options (including translating some of the European reviews with the help of the google translate app).

I settled on a 2014 86 liter Fanatic Freewave TE. I really love it, and highly recommend it for both pure wave sailing and B&J. As you know, the Freewave can be sailed as a single fin, but I have never opted to do so because it sails so well (planes well, and fast) in tri-fin mode. To me, it actually sails like a single fin with all of the advantages of a multi-fin board. As others have noted, multi-fin boards often feel a little sluggish, especially to get on a plane (e.g., the quatro quad 110 that I also sail), but, in my opinion, the Freewave jumps up on a plane and accelerates almost as well (if not as well) as my former JP FSW single fin, but turns and holds the rail a whole lot better then the JP, especially in higher winds at speed. It is on the shorter side, but has a lot of volume in the center of the board, so it is also good at eating up white water on the way out in marginal conditions in both side-on and side-off conditions. Again, highly recommend it, don't think you can go wrong with this option. Even at 86 liters, I find it has enough volume with the way it is distributed and the rocker line to schlog well on lighter or gusty days,
sailwave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeppy, sounds like you know my story well. How is the fanatic freewave in head to overhead side shore conditions. My fsw boards dont turn tight enough in bottom turns and i feel like i stall coming off a top turn.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top turn is when the sail pull is at its weakest. i adjust my technique by making sure the sail leads. lotsa mast foot pressure while making sure i point the sail CE the direction i want to go. this while we have to direct the board too. more of that doing/directing 2 things at once, like in a jibe.

been on and seen lots of folks with FSW/freerides that are a bit too flat and cramped. how to describe cramped? too large of fin too close to mast base. cheapest solution if you have an opp, base forward, one fin size smaller, one at a time....

still, some boards are far more free style than wave.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: