myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
All Around Wave Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
Some general guidelines at 185lbs don't go too short 230cm at least. Super short works great for little guys. Wider also helps in less than ideal conditions earlier planing and easier to balance 60cm or more.
As mentioned the Kode Wave would be a good choice single fin for B&J. Twin for the waves. I have read they plane up very fast. I do know it has the wide point pretty far back which can reduce stability on big bumpy waves.

I was wondering about width in the new boards, >60cm is a good idea. Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailwave wrote:
Definitely want early planing over tight turn slash ... and
I have been riding older JP FSW 84L and 98L boards but just not happy with them in the waves anymore.

Sounds self-contradictory ... unless the FSWs are lacking in some other factor.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailwave wrote:
I was wondering about width in the new boards, >60cm is a good idea.

*IF* your venue is smooth and/or top speed is not a factor.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that owning a pair of JP FSW's that you would include the new JP FSW's on your list, they are more manuver oriented than your older shapes, and are still the user friendly, quick to plane, fast boards that yours are. The pro models have a tri-fin option for wave riding. I've ridden a couple of the wood sandwich builds in the 101 ltr size in the past year and they are sweet......

Also just got back from Vela in Baja, where the most popular board was the Starboard Kode 86 for use in the 4.7 to 5.7 conditions that are normal there. The Kode was my go to board and i used it with a 4.7 and 5.4 and loved it. The kode I rode was the 2012 shape. For larger sails, 5.7, 6.2, I used a JP FSW 101, and the two complemented each other perfectly.

Just my experiences....yours may vary.....good luck demo'ing all of those boards.

KMF
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the width. The difference is up to 3 cm and would be helpful when it's iffy and in maneuvres,you don't feel it at speed on those new boards. On the other side you are probably used to long narow boards /unlike me/ and you may not like it. Go for the moderate ones-it's the safest bet.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
I would think that owning a pair of JP FSW's that you would include the new JP FSW's on your list, they are more manuver oriented than your older shapes, and are still the user friendly, quick to plane, fast boards that yours are. The pro models have a tri-fin option for wave riding. I've ridden a couple of the wood sandwich builds in the 101 ltr size in the past year and they are sweet......

Also just got back from Vela in Baja, where the most popular board was the Starboard Kode 86 for use in the 4.7 to 5.7 conditions that are normal there. The Kode was my go to board and i used it with a 4.7 and 5.4 and loved it. The kode I rode was the 2012 shape. For larger sails, 5.7, 6.2, I used a JP FSW 101, and the two complemented each other perfectly.

Just my experiences....yours may vary.....good luck demo'ing all of those boards.

KMF

Don't go now and buy all the used Kode 86s out there, I'm still saving for mine Laughing
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guidance on the width/length considerations for my weight. I had not heard of Taboo before, must be a EU oriented company. The Taboo Pocket wave at 94L seems to be in the sweet spot it seems.

Has anybody tried the RRD Firewave? I like RRD but a bit worried about its rocker being closer to a FSW and not a Wave board.

The Taboo PW has a slot box for center fin. That seems odd and I wonder how hard it is to find center fins for slot box?

Last edited by sailwave on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many hundreds of them on shelves in the Gorge, and scores in my garage. It's the norm around here.

CORRECTION:
Windnc wrote:
the center fin box in mine is an "A" Box not a slot box

Uh, oh ... then I misled someone a couple of days ago. I thought
"slot box" was just yet another term for the U.S./"A"/Chinook box. Gotta go find and fix that post ... done.

The sad part about still ANOTHER box design (how many is that now ... 10? 12?) ... is that it took many clicks in Google to even find out the difference between A and slot boxes ... even some of the A to slot conversion sites didn't explain the differences.

I can't believe none of the critics who examine my every word caught that error.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excluding the FSWs completely the German Surf mag rates the 2015 models from your list and the ones that I suggested as follows:the most B&J biased and least radical are the RRD Firewave, the Exocet XWave, Naish Global and Goya One /random order/ those will be the closest ones to FSWs and probably will suit your preference the most. The Starboard Kode Wave and Tabou Pocket Wave are pretty much in the middle and then Quatro Sphere and then the Fanatic Triwave as the most radical, big waves suitable one.
http://www.surf-magazin.de/test_technik/test/boards/waveboards/test-2015-waveboards/a15625.html
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TABOU has been around for some time, twice actually.

The PW in tri mode since 2011. You are correct in that the 2015 model does have 3 slot boxes. The largest centers that Iam aware of are 18cm, from many fin sources.

If you were looking to use the PW as a single, a USBox fin will fit with the removal of the pin and cut the forward tab, with retaining screw hole off, you would need to make sure the base has slots for the screws to align and hold the fin in place.

I would urge caution on size for just a center , the slot box would support IMO a 24cm fin. Starboard did suggest the Flare s/b would handle a 28cm fin on older Flares, not the current model.

You could also have a fin custom made from Tarifa Fin Co, TFC, in Spain with the s/b base, not pricy, perhaps same as USBox fin.

I dont know of a Gorge dealer for Tabou, used to be. Course a few boards would be around. The DA Curve is a nice board from Tabou as well, it is more the dedicated wave weapon, wher the Pocket Wave is a tad more all round oriented.

Andy at Wind-NC will help with your Tabou selections. Perhaps a 2014 with a US center box ..?
http://wind-nc.com/

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: