myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP Sails
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: WindSUP Sails Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed the Aerotech WindSUP or Starboard WindSUP or maybe another WindSUP sail I am not aware of?

I have use the Aerotech WindSUP 5.8 & 4.8 and and want to understand how it compares to the Starboard 6.5 WindSUP?

Also if anyone sailed both a regular sail and a WindSUP sail in the same conditions, it would be interesting to know how the two compared?

Is anyone else making an easy rigging sail that can be wrapped around the mast besides the two mentioned above?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Aerotech WindSUP sail, 4.0 I think, and several others more standard sails. My wife uses it. I personnaly use a very old triangular sail in 6.0 in the same conditions.

I feel these sails do not benefit much from being sized perfectly. They are great for light wind applications because they are light, so you might want to have a sail that you can manipulate easily. Yes, you may go a tad faster or slower if you change size, but not that much.

In very light wind, a regular sail of the same size is not as fun to use. It will be much heavier, and normally less efficient . It is hard to position well because you don't feel the wind filling the sail like you do with the WindSUP sail. Some wave sail are quite bad in very light wind because the stay totally flat if the wind is not strong enough to create a belly in the sail.

In more wind, or in planing conditions, the opposite is true. A regular sail feels lighter because it will be stable in varying wind, and because the wind now fully support it. The WindSUP will then feel unstable.

So if you already own a WindSUP sail, I would suggest you stick with it and maybe thing about a regular sail for more wind. Your regular sail could well be much bigger than your WindSUP sail to allow you to plane.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sailboarder, when you say in more wind or planing conditions what wind speed are you referring too?

Another words, at what wind speed do you think I should leave the WindSUP sail at home?

Currently I have been using the 5.8 WindSUP in speeds gusting up to 20 mph, and when gusting over 20 mph is used the 4.8 WindSUP.

Gusting any more than that a regular sail needs to be used I think.

The 4.8 WindSUP had a lot of pull when gusting over 20 mph and not sure if I just need to get used that that sail in those conditions or if it is too much for it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a dedicated SUP , wind-SUP sail may be a good idea.

Hot Sails Maui , Superfreak in classic or Ultra Light version , if you were inclined may be great option.

the sail is made with dacron, and very good in gusts.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
Another words, at what wind speed do you think I should leave the WindSUP sail at home?

My 2 cents: Never leave equipment at home. Always bring it all your equipment (or as much of it as possible with you. Whatever you need is what you left at home.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2, I have heard a lot of good things about the Superfreak, but I have another kind of hidden agenda with the WindSUP sail.

I love the time savings, because where I launch from I can walk from my car with my board and sail right into the water, over the rocks and out to about waist deep water. I then connect the sail to the board, out haul it, and take off.

The way the WindSUP wraps around the mast allows me to carry it into the water with my board. Then I rig it in seconds while in the water.

I could do a traditional sail but would have to rig on land, carry the sail out over the rocks without the board, leave the sail floating out there, go back over the rocks to get my board. This can be done, and I will probably try it soon enough, but I love the ease of the WindSUP.

If I had a lot of time no problem, but I was looking for a way to WindSUP daily before lunch, and I am not retired, so taking about 1 hour or so is just about right, and the WindSUP gets me on the water so easily.

Once the tide starts to be higher again during the summer the regular sail might be easier because I can float or drag it out with the board because there is a foot or so of water over the rocks which floats the sail.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all makes sense. your scenario is a bit different

Does your SUP have 3 fins, so the draft is lower in the water ? so you can start sailing even sooner

probably save a few moments both way.

the Superfreak is a bit different and magic

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In my experience the larger soft windsup type sails do not offer much extra performance/power as compared to their smaller siblings, UNLESS you are a larger build and don't mind the extra weight and diminished handling of the larger size. Sorry for the run-on sentence!

In 10 ish knots of wind, the 4.5, 5.5, and 6.5 windsup sails will all move you at about the same speed. The larger sail just offers a bit more weight and substance for larger folks to counter balance off of. Smaller folks usually do much better with the smaller size sails.

Comparing to regular "performance" sails, I think Sailboarder summed up the major differences quite well.

http://wind-nc.com
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2, my SUP does have 3 fins.

Thanks everyone for the input, it is good to know.

I think I will stay with what I have right now and not try a larger 6.5.

I did notice the 5.8 WindSUP has a lot more pull in light winds than a regular 5.8. My thought was the 5.8 WindSUP in light winds is pulling almost like my regular 7.5, and in wind where the 7.5 is not really pulling much, the light WindSUP sail does feel better.

If they could make a regular batten sail that rigs as fast and easy as a WindSUP sail I would buy it.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also feel that a 5.8 WindSUP will compare to a 7.5 regular in light wind.

brynkaufman2 wrote:
Thanks Sailboarder, when you say in more wind or planing conditions what wind speed are you referring too?

Currently I have been using the 5.8 WindSUP in speeds gusting up to 20 mph, and when gusting over 20 mph is used the 4.8 WindSUP.

Gusting any more than that a regular sail needs to be used I think.

The 4.8 WindSUP had a lot of pull when gusting over 20 mph and not sure if I just need to get used that that sail in those conditions or if it is too much for it.

I understand why you mention gusts with the WindSUP sails. There is a point at which the sail becomes very hard to use because it becomes extremely back handed.

When you sail with regular sails, gusts are much easier to deal with, especially if your are planing. I will select my sail based on average wind, or even holes, not gusts.

I sail in a different venue, inland largish lake, and I'm 210#. I use only one very light wind sail, a 6.0. When there is too much wind to use it relax without harness, I switch to a 9.0 at around 9-10 kts maybe. At that point, the wind is strong enough to support the sail and I can use the harness without straining my back and arms.

Before I owned that sail, I was switching up to a 7.5. I can easily handle that sail to ride boat wake, so I guess if you are heavy like me, you could use it in easy waves. And when the wind is over, maybe 15 kts, you'll be planing too !

Finally, although a WindSUP sail cannot be beaten since mast foot and boom are already connected, it is not that long to setup a normal sail if you carefully setup a routine to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: