myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New sails to try this year.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: New sails to try this year. Reply with quote

Looking forward to warmer weather and the upcoming season. I take a break in Dec, Jan, Feb. At the end of last season I purchased a 2005 Retro 9.0, a 2008 Retro 10.0 and I won a 2014 Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 in a drawing at the NTWR Pumpkin Cup. I need to get a RDM and extension for the Cheetah. I will be using all of them with my Kona. Looking forward to seeing how the Cheetah will compare to my 2008 Gaastra Matrix 8.0 which I am used to. Also curious to see if the Retros are better in light wind than my Kona 9.0. As soon as the water hits 60 degrees I'm out there. Won't be long now.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, you can always order an 8.0 Retro after you try the Ezzy.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, your Ezzy comment is ignorant and outdated. Their sails have changed over the last couple of years. I would even argue that the Taka is the best wave sail in the industry. With the mix of light weight materials, strength, incredible construction, and perfectly balanced feel nothing really comes close. Furthermore, Ezzy has three incredible assets with super high standards in designing the sails with David, Graham and Kevin Pritchard.
So why has this change in sails happened? It seems like David's impeccable sail construction experience, Graham's innovative sailing, and Kevin's skill and drive to win have finally integrated causing the Ezzy sails evolve quickly. When you use their entire range you can feel each rider's influence on the sail. These aren't your grandpa's Ezzy's anymore.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie is a Sailworks factory guy. It's his job to say things like that. I think I am going to like the Cheetah a lot. Can't wait to try it. First new sail.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, guys, get a sense of humor!
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hell of a big sail collection Very Happy One or more may be superfluous though-to tightly spaced for such a big sizes IMO.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New sails to try this year. Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
I need to get a RDM and extension for the Cheetah. I will be using all of them with my Kona. Looking forward to seeing how the Cheetah will compare to my 2008 Gaastra Matrix 8.0 which I am used to. Also curious to see if the Retros are better in light wind than my Kona 9.0. As soon as the water hits 60 degrees I'm out there. Won't be long now.

You can try you Cheetah with an SDM too if it's CC. Older Ezzys were fine with SDMs for sure. My 6.0 Freeride performs about the same with a 430 Sailworks SDM or a Ezzy RDM. However, there is a huge difference between a North 460 SDM or a Ezzy 490 RDM with my 7.5 sail even if the two masts are also said to be compatible. You need to try it!

And I'm curious about the Retro vs Kona sail. In very light wind, I would bet the Kona is nicer when tuned with very little DH.

Have fun!
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Sailboarder ...

i now have a SW Retro 8-oh that i use in the snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy56fVWCIw
{forgot my harness @#$%^&*(}

perhaps you would like to try it with your Kona ??
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie, my comment was meant to include a sense of humor. That is a lot of big sails close together, But I got a great deal on the Retros and the Ezzy was free. I will probably sell a couple. SB, thanks to the great folks at the Kona Worlds I finally know how to tune the Kona sail. It is excellent in light wind, but I am easily overpowered on it.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Joe!

BTW, we should include long rides in our program next year. I crossed 2-montagne last automn and it was a non-event in planing conditions. It's not long at all. The only thing is if you break something without support close to the other side, the ride back to start point is going to be long! Better to do with a friend...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: