myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best longboard sails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: best longboard sails Reply with quote

I am considering to replace my current shortboard with a longboard for light winds sailing and I'd like to have a few suggestions about the best sails in production today for longboarding. From reviews it seems that the Aerotech Zenith, the Maui MS2 and TR-5 were excellent, but they are no longer in production today and not easy to find on the 2nd hand market. Kona and Bic make sails specifically designed for their longboards and they maybe an option, but I'd like to know if there are other reliable brands or models.Does Aerotech have anything similar to their Zenith, for longboarding?Also the MS Blaze and the Ezzy Lion seem intersting. From what I understand, the key for longboarding( light winds) performance is a relatively small DH and a tight leech, possibly also a less pronounced luff curve. Any sails with these features to day?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions

Ittiandro
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be most sails from the 80s - made for longboards specifically , durable , powerfull and dirt cheap at garage sales. A friend of mine has a 5.8 from those days that pulls like a modern 8.5 Wink. And you can use any peace of crap that slightly resembles a mast on them -awesome Very Happy

Last edited by adywind on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much you want to push the limits of the longboard. If just for light wind cruising, say under 15 mph, then the old stuff (with limited range - tight leach) will work fine. Something light with a few cams or no cams would be best. Full on race sails like the TR-5 are over kill unless you want to sail in 15-25 mph+ winds.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 and an Ezzy Lion 9.5. The Zephyr is a good, easy handling sail that I use when I just want to get out on the water in lighter, sometimes-planing winds. Its a longboard-specific sail with a longer boom length. Its easy to rig on a relatively short mast. The sail is very manageable off the plane. Great for cruising, and I have rigged it on my SUP for some relaxing after work sessions. I've also taken it out in 15-20mph winds and been planing on my raceboard.

The 9.5 is also a great sail, but it has cams and that changes the handling and sailing dynamics. If non-planning, its a bit heavier, and you have to work the cams just a little bit to get the sail to rotate in really light winds (I had the downhaul/outhaul set to the lightwind minimums). One you get going though, its got smooth, steady power. That being said... its not a longboard specific sail. Seems to be marketed as a large freeride sail.

I will say... the best session I had all last year was sailing in San Diego in 12-18mph winds on my Ezzy Lion 9.5 and Superlight II. Planed for 3-hours straight in 75 degree water! On the water before the kitesurfers and only got off the water because I ran out of energy Smile

I'd be interested to see what others have to say for longboard sails. I'd really like to get a raceboard sail for really light winds.. but there's close to zero market for second-hand raceboard sails here in the USA.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Best sails for longboards Reply with quote

Yes, I know of course that sails from the 80’ ies would be the best. This is my Plan A. However, as a Plan B , I was also considering modern sails because old sails are difficult to find.
I am sure that an 9.5, as rhorton1 suggests , would get me going pretty well even on my Bic Core 293 and I wouldn’t need to go for a longboard. The problem I have is that the 8.5 I am currently using is not only underpowered in light winds, but also far too heavy to handle and uphaul. I thought that if I went for a longboard, I could use smaller sails for the same light winds conditions and subplane perhaps faster and more efficiently. I’ll look into the Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 but I’d like to go even smaller without loss of speed or performance if I found the right sail (new generation or old generation)..

Thank you for your suggestions
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of performance you are expecting, but if you are not into the "planing as early as posible" race-which is a very frustrating thing -you can go with any sail you are comfortable with for light wind moves which is a great exercise and even fun /for a while at least /. I'm using a 5.8 or 5.0 on my WindSup in less then 10mph wind. In the picture I'm on a 5.8 that had a torn panel and a friend gave it away.
In this article and video you can see what I'm talking about:
http://boards.mpora.com/technique/the-moves-that-matter-light-wind-moves.html#ZIEHzJBWeLiwZJrd.97

image.jpg
 Description:
Another stupid picture of me :D
 Filesize:  169.98 KB
 Viewed:  20680 Time(s)

image.jpg

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite longboard sails for light on/off planing conditions is an old Bic Logic 7.8 sail. It is lightweight, feels light in handling, has no cams, is not sticky to uphaul, and has a big adjustment range for use in planing winds also.

Originally they were sold only as matching rigs for Bic boards, but the sail itself, on a modern 460 mast, works very well. It was similar to the Pryde Diablo sail of the time, and could be set with a great deal of upper twist if necessary.

There may be a few still available as left overs, at a cheap price.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a post on my blog about this
since there do NOT seem to be many "modern" longboard sails available in North America

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2014/03/longboard-sails_4.html

in the post, I mention that currently I am using a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak 8.5 which is VERY light
{and has a large range}
it lacks some grunt for those really light wind days
but makes up for it with it's light weight
i use 8.5 cuz i am a heavyweight of 230+ lbs / 105+ kilos
a 7.5 would be more than adequate for lighter sailors
even 6.5 to putz about
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://aerotechsails.com/dagger.html

kona worlds leftovers available too

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-used-sails.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have enjoyed a Zephyr 7.5 this past year. I used it on an original Starboard Formula board (270 x 85), my Firemove V2 122, and my Fanatic SUP board.

IT is easy to rig, and works well for what it is designed to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: