myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fast-tracking Your Second Grade in Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and 30 years later, there still are. ;*)

-Craig

techno900 wrote:
A little more than a year after I began learning I spent 10 days camped at Maryhill in the Gorge in August of 1985. I progressed more in those 10 days than the previous year, even getting on a borrowed 3.7 at Doug's Beach in 40+ winds, for two days. I was still on my 9'2" board, which to say the least didn't want to stay in the water. I don't recall having much fun, but they were unforgettable "holy crap" days.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
Andrei, how did you find your way to windsurfing from the middle of Canada? I know a few who gave it up due to family/career etc. Their sails would disintegrate if they unrolled them now. They are beyond grade 2. Once you plane out in the straps you never forget the feeling. That's the point where dreams start. At least it was for me.

I guess I simply love it. I enjoy mostly longboard sailing on summer weekends, and go to Bonaire for vacation Smile.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Ah the dreaded pissing matches again Evil or Very Mad
What's wrong with just ignoring someone's ridiculous stories and just sticking with the tread out of respect for the OP?!?

Even after disabling my filters I don't see any pissing going on in this thread as of the date of your post. "Pissing matches" refer to baseless and irrelevant personal attacks; all I saw was honest, topical opinions, aka debate, which makes this stuff so instructional. If everyone else caved after the first opinion was posted, readers would learn almost nothing even if the first responder was right according to his personal biases, which we all have. Debate respects the OP because it presumes he's smart enough to consider all views and pick the one or ones best suited to HIM.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is great for producing the exciting adrenaline rush that accompanies planing and makes the sailor feel like the world is being conquered. That's part of grade 2. I get that part of the time. And windsurfing of a different, calmer level is also great for producing a feeling of gracefulness that makes the sailor feel united to the world. That is grade 1 which is about 95% of my windsurfing.

Let me count the ways in which I am still in 1st grade: 1. only two waterstarts ever; 2. no planing jibes; 3. not good at non-planing jibes either, 4. not in the foot straps even when planing; 5. still poor sailing downwind in winds over about 12 mph; 6. never tried wavesailing, 7. never jumped; 8. my only freestyle move is fin first sailing for a very short distance.

For many the first reaction on reading that list will be something like, "if you would learn to ..(waterstart, jibe, use foot straps, etc).. you would get hooked and then you'd learn all of those things in a few weeks or one or two seasons."

But I'm already so hooked on windsurfing I didn't need to learn any of those things to have a great time in 31 summers of on-water windsurfing. I'm so hooked on windsurfing I raced in 9 events this year (3 in FL, 1 in IA, 3 in MN, 2 in WI), sailed with a windsurfing rig in 86 days this year so far, and have sailed with a windsurfing rig in Iowa 259 months in a row (counting land & snow & ice sailing).

I realize my level of satisfaction with grade 1 is somewhat a result of being an inland lake sailor. Not planing is more satisfying when a shore is close and the scenery is always changing. Not planing is also more satisfying when the gusty conditions of a small inland lake in the Midwest makes any planing a relatively short experience. Formula boards and other short boards rule on both coasts for good reasons. Long boards rule in the Midwest for equally good, but different, reasons.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
Windsurfing is great for producing the exciting adrenaline rush that accompanies planing and makes the sailor feel like the world is being conquered. That's part of grade 2. I get that part of the time. And windsurfing of a different, calmer level is also great for producing a feeling of gracefulness that makes the sailor feel united to the world. That is grade 1 which is about 95% of my windsurfing.

Let me count the ways in which I am still in 1st grade: 1. only two waterstarts ever; 2. no planing jibes; 3. not good at non-planing jibes either, 4. not in the foot straps even when planing; 5. still poor sailing downwind in winds over about 12 mph; 6. never tried wavesailing, 7. never jumped; 8. my only freestyle move is fin first sailing for a very short distance.

For many the first reaction on reading that list will be something like, "if you would learn to ..(waterstart, jibe, use foot straps, etc).. you would get hooked and then you'd learn all of those things in a few weeks or one or two seasons."

But I'm already so hooked on windsurfing I didn't need to learn any of those things to have a great time in 31 summers of on-water windsurfing. I'm so hooked on windsurfing I raced in 9 events this year (3 in FL, 1 in IA, 3 in MN, 2 in WI), sailed with a windsurfing rig in 86 days this year so far, and have sailed with a windsurfing rig in Iowa 259 months in a row (counting land & snow & ice sailing).

I realize my level of satisfaction with grade 1 is somewhat a result of being an inland lake sailor. Not planing is more satisfying when a shore is close and the scenery is always changing. Not planing is also more satisfying when the gusty conditions of a small inland lake in the Midwest makes any planing a relatively short experience. Formula boards and other short boards rule on both coasts for good reasons. Long boards rule in the Midwest for equally good, but different, reasons.

Great post.

I started with an original Windsurfer, teak booms, in 1978. Later, I had a Mistral Maui, a Fanatic Ultra Cat. Of course, I also moved into short boards.

Now I only own two boards - an original Formula board (which is only 85 cm wide), and a RRD Firemove V2 122.

Your post reminds me that I need to get a long board again for sailing up and down the shore in 10 - 15 mph winds. I tried that on my SUP last summer, but it went sideways too much.

I am considering an AHD Tactik. Grade 1 can be lots of fun.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:

Great post Del. I cannot refrain however to encourage you to learn to waterstart. I'm sure you don't need that to love windsurfing. However, it takes so much more effort to uphaul when it's windy enough to plane. Dealing with the chop and swell can be challenging when uphauling, while the waterstarts are piece of cake!
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came upon this somewhat old but still relevant in-depth article. It's focus is the equipment mainly not so much technic- choosing the right boards while progressing from the absolute beginner to advanced-but I think it would be a good addition to this post. Just keep in mind that it has been published in 09-before the WindSUPs and Freemoves were made popular, so consider those aswell.
http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/group-test/soft-tops-freerides-jan-2009.html#sFCG85oM6ySxG7rE.97
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"learning waterstarting" is an interesting concept
when i was doing that, it was a lot of work - with leg cramps
THEN i took the small board out in bigger winds with 7-oh and 6.3 sails.
it became "controlling water starts" - rather than "learning to do"

unfortunately i can plane without getting in the straps
and have somehow managed to avoid catapults
that's my next objective = getting strapped

getting out as often as one can = TOW
enjoying it no matter what = FUN
reveling in it = STOKED
NO matter what "level" one is at Smile
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Del, I feel better about my sailing after reading your post. Going to start my 4th season in the spring. Totally self taught. Got my ass kicked at the Kona worlds. Managed to finish one race. No waterstart, not in both straps, no planing gybe. I love windsurfing all the same. Part of that love is the challenge of accomplishing new techniques. Thinking about getting some instruction this year. Sometimes it is good to be thankful for what you have or can do and not what you need to learn. I am confident that I will learn those things, but it will take time. It is not that I don't want a lesson or two, it is hard to break away and travel. Not to mention expensive. I can just be happy to learn at my own pace on Lake D'ardonne which is right outside my back door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: