myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2014 Kona One World Championship Final Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: 2014 Kona One World Championship Final Results Reply with quote

We have a new Kona World Champion. US sailor, 17 year-old Rasmus Sayre from the Island of Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts on the US East Coast won the championship in big style on Wednesday after taking an impressive six bullets out of twelve races. His total series is outstanding: 2-1-1-1-4-2-1-4-2-1-(BFD)-4.

"I am very happy. It’s my first World Championship title and I value it highly. It’s been a challenging championship with a very high level of the competition. I managed to keep my racing on a steady level throughout the five days" gold medalist Rasmus Sayre, said.

Danish windsurfing legend Tim Aagesen finished second. He has won international world championship titles in four different classes during three decades. He won the Kona Worlds in 2011 and finished second in 2012. "This is by far the best Kona Worlds I have attended. The level of competition is constantly raising since the class continues to attract both young talents and experienced racers" Tim Aagesen comments.

The bronze medal was won by Rasmus’ father Nevin Sayre, American windsurfing icon and winner of the US Kona One Nationals earlier this year. He managed to move himself up from eight to third place, in the overall, last day after a strong performance. "Today I am a proud father. I am also grateful for the opportunity to compete in the same international championship as both my children. That is was makes Kona quite unique" Nevin Sayre comments.

Everyone seemed to agree that this was the best Kona Worlds so far. A total of 105 competitors from thirteen countries like China, Brazil, Bermuda and Egypt competed under perfection sailing conditions with winds ranging from 12 – 30 knots during the five days. More than anything it has been and event of great smiles, friendship and Kona spirit.

At the last skipper’s meeting Kona profile “Woody” Woodworth from Canada spoke on behalf of all competitors when he thanked event chairman Michael Fox and the rest of the organization for putting together a top-class event.

For final results, follow this link:
http://uswindsurfing.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Kona-Worlds-2014-Races-1-12.htm.html

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there, totally outclassed by the competition & the strong winds. I completed only 7 of the 12 races, placing 82nd out of 106, and I had a great time.

The fairness of Kona racing for all sizes is demonstrated by the results women had. The top woman got 4th place, 3 women were in the top 11 places, 5 women were in the top 20. Sail sizes are assigned by weight range. Each of the weight ranges were represented in the top 20.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I was there, totally outclassed by the competition & the strong winds. I completed only 7 of the 12 races, placing 82nd out of 106, and I had a great time.

The fairness of Kona racing for all sizes is demonstrated by the results women had. The top woman got 4th place, 3 women were in the top 11 places, 5 women were in the top 20. Sail sizes are assigned by weight range. Each of the weight ranges were represented in the top 20.

Do you have to use the size sail indicated by your weight, or can you use a smaller sail if you choose?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a Kona One Design racing event you can use only one rig for the whole event, unless something breaks and must be replaced. The rig used must be the one for your weight range, such as 8.2 sq. meters for my weight which fits in the 75 to 84 kilos range. An 8.2 sailor who accidentally broke one of the window panels on his sail was allowed to go down to a 7.4 sail because a replacement 8.2 wasn't available. Women are allowed to choose to use a 7.4 sail or the size for their weight range.

I did not compete in some of the races because I am not able to handle an 8.2 going down wind in strong winds with some waves.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Del. I got an education at the worlds. I was not ready for 15-20 MPH + with the 9.0. I only finished one race. I learned a lot about rigging the Kona sail, and met many new friends. This was my first Kona event. It was first class all the way. I had a great time. Need much more practice. Thinking about the Kona US Nationals in Calema in March.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, a sailor may use only one sail size per regatta, selected at official weigh-in. In general, adults may may select either the standard size for the weight division or one size smaller.

In practice, we would rather see people racing than sit on the beach unable to continue either due to damaged gear or conditions beyond their ability to safely participate using the standard size. Some of the racers were allowed to change sizes due to damaged gear and a preference for smaller sails in the high winds. None of these sailors competed for top results to my knowledge. Had a sailor been in the top 25, I strongly doubt any accommodation to a smaller size would have been made after selection simply out of fairness to other competitors. In any event, everyone treated everyone else fairly.

It was a great regatta. Very, very few protests and a lot of happy windsurfers sharing beautiful conditions, fair racing and a spectacular host venue.

Tony and Del brought different skill levels but tremendous enthusiasm!

dudeskate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Photos & Videos Reply with quote

Where are the multitude of videos and photos taken by Dasher & Maggi posted? I've seen a few photos, no video online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: