myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Interesting Observation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Interesting Observation Reply with quote

I like to surf the Forums when I have a few extra minutes, and noticed a pattern recently: You guys on this Forum (I live in SoCal) post almost exclusively about sailing. Where you went, where you're going, what the wind's gonna do next weekend, etc.. The other Forums have a lot of posts about gear choices, technique tips, travel tips, best way to repair a board, that kind of thing, but you guys are all about your sailing.

I've decided that's a good thing, or at least harmless. Funny that you don't ask about that other stuff, though.

Any thoughts, Right Coast?

jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my ski bum friends used to always say "Don't lose your focus" about any distraction from the next days skiing.

We must have that FOCUS going on.

JP
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't matter what you ride......

Sideburn scooter jump.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21 KB
 Viewed:  18761 Time(s)

Sideburn scooter jump.jpg

Last edited by outcast on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's our geography?

We have to be flexible with where we go.

It IS an interesting observation....A least in this neck of the woods, the forum has expanded our sailing venues, and helped avoid inbreeding....Alot of venues and sailing groups within relatively short distances.... we piss and moan horribly about a 2 hour ride!

And we all tend to justify our own gear anyway, so what's the point of talking about that stuff?

1 fin/2 fins/3 fins/4......3 battens/4 battens/5 battens..... more!

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Maybe it's our geography?

We have to be flexible with where we go.

It IS an interesting observation....A least in this neck of the woods, the forum has expanded our sailing venues, and helped avoid inbreeding....Alot of venues and sailing groups within relatively short distances

A valid point indeed. I have sailed 16 different East Coast spots so far this year, and hope to add a few more before the year is over.

Or perhaps we think that gear discussions etc. are not East Coast-specific, and post in the "Windsurfing Discussion" forum instead.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Angulo once said way back in the 80's " It's not how you rig it. It's how you sail it"

Good observation. Funny I am really Happy with my gear. And I know my Bros who are on different gear are happy with what they are sailing.
It is not like politics and religion. I am not trying to convert them even though they are on completely different gear. I don't care. It is all about having fun.
The bottom line is all the gear is great these days. It is up to the sailors to learn how to ride it.

gmclean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hood River but I know I will read posts from stoked windsurfers I come the east coast forum.

I learned to sail on The Cape in the early 80's but never traveled around as much as you guys. It seemed like there was always somewhere in Falmouth you could sail no matter what the wind direction was. I think I may have missed out on some great spots.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Observation Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I like to surf the Forums when I have a few extra minutes, and noticed a pattern recently: You guys on this Forum (I live in SoCal) post almost exclusively about sailing. Where you went, where you're going, what the wind's gonna do next weekend, etc..

and where to sail this weekend. I've always gotten a chuckle out of those threads, because they remind me of women going to the ladies' room in packs. Here's one man's analysis of that:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/09/why-do-women-go-to-the-ladys-room-in-groups/
Very Happy
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars displaying his charming personality once again. Although I guess it is telling that he compares windsurfing with going to the ladies room. What does it tell us about his sailing?

Of course, he cannot understand. Sailing only summers in the Gorge, you cannot discover new spots. Around Cape Cod and Boston, there are tons of beaches and town landings that are rarely, if ever, sailed. Some of these are way more fun than the most popular launches when the conditions are right. I "discovered" several such launches after reading on this forum. Many thanks to Ron C., WaterKook, and others for posting about these.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
isobars displaying his charming personality once again. Although I guess it is telling that he compares windsurfing with going to the ladies room. What does it tell us about his sailing?

Of course, he cannot understand. Sailing only summers in the Gorge, you cannot discover new spots. Around Cape Cod and Boston, there are tons of beaches and town landings that are rarely, if ever, sailed. Some of these are way more fun than the most popular launches when the conditions are right. I "discovered" several such launches after reading on this forum. Many thanks to Ron C., WaterKook, and others for posting about these.

I fully understand that. I've even Google Earthed some of the venues you guys have discussed and can see that wind direction affects most sites dramatically. But the east coast isn't unique in that regard; it applies to every lake, river, and coast.

Besides, I've launched from more than 70 different sites on the Columbia River alone in every month except February, and wind direction is important at every one. I've also sailed the west and south U.S.coasts and in MANY states from Florida to Washington 12 months out of the year. But I still don't go to the bathroom in packs. Too bad you can't see the humor in the image it creates. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: