myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I can't help it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: I can't help it... Reply with quote

...I really enjoy messing with various boards and shaping...

I found a used Cascade 9' x 24 x 5" carbon /glass board for $70 with new straps and padz and Chinook base.. and a couple of powerbox fins. Almost in new condtition. I figured the footstraps alone were worth the money...so I brought it home. First thing was to swap the finbox. I have a preference for US fins, I like to be able to tune my rides with slight movement of fins and straps. Rode it a few times at Roosevelt this fall, as my 'slogger's special' I don't know who Gary built the board for but it was not so much fun to ride...square hard rails and size...that tossed me into the drink over and over, but it did slog pretty well.

Had some spare time so out came the Sawzall. I've been a little curious about these new fat wide short boards. While this Cascade board was really well made and purty...It didn't work for me very well, so I decided to 'hack away' at it and try my own hand at a Fatty board. I cut it down to about 7' all off the nose. I left it wide up front and added a bit of rocker from the mast forward...Burying the nose in the swell ahead is NOT fun and it's the one thing I dislike about my OO of many years....too narrow at the nose and too flat...pearls.

This Cascade is a superlight stringer-less polyester blank, a bit of divinycell on the bottom and carbon deck....So, pretty simple to work with compared to some of the more complex composite boards. I wanted it to hold better in jibes, so I've moved the boxy hard rail up to a much softer profile...I used a big softpad sander and just rough shaped it with that, then re glassed the rails, moved the straps around a bit and added some thruster fins. It looks like it might work...We'll see next windy day now.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Fat Bastard? Reply with quote

You got a name for it yet?
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name, Hell, where's the pictures?!
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat Bastard? Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
You got a name for it yet?

I am calling it "The Stealth Bomber" right now....It has that look what with dull carbon deck and the bottom with a mottled gray sky-looking graphics on the bottom..I'm not even going to try to 'tart it up' before I give it some water time, to see if it actually works.

7'6" long, 24 1/4" wide and 4 1/4 thick....Weird compared to the old style boards I normally ride...I didn't even bother to move the mast track, I am hoping I can set the base at the track's rear and get by with that... I'm thinking this board may be a bit of fun for those marginal days when I've driven far enough to want to justify sailing on 4.7m + sail size...

anyway, I am already ahead on the deal since I put those new straps and pads on my everyday windy board...Hopefully we'll have a few more wind episodes before the real winter...it will actually probably float me in my steamer suit.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spennie"]Name, Hell, where's the pictures?![/quote

Here

It was a real hoot to take the saws all and just hack that nose right the hell off....

After I got the nose off, I looked at those rails...sharp enough to cut yourself on and square as a brick for most of the outline, with the apex waaaay low...It made this board NOT stay connected in jibes and a couple of times caused me to dig in the outside rail during a overpowered speeding turn....Not at all fun.... I think this board was shaped for..... not the Gorge...hopefully it will work a bit better now around here....[/img]

IMG_20141021_110315240.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.88 KB
 Viewed:  12409 Time(s)

IMG_20141021_110315240.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am digg'n the shape, but you'd better go to a single bolt base for
sure, and run her as far back as you dare.

-Craig

dhanson928 wrote:

Here

It was a real hoot to take the saws all and just hack that nose right the hell off....

After I got the nose off, I looked at those rails...sharp enough to cut yourself on and square as a brick for most of the outline, with the apex waaaay low...It made this board NOT stay connected in jibes and a couple of times caused me to dig in the outside rail during a overpowered speeding turn....Not at all fun.... I think this board was shaped for..... not the Gorge...hopefully it will work a bit better now around here....[/img]
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cgoudie1"]I am digg'n the shape, but you'd better go to a single bolt base for

-Craig

The rear rocker and double concave bottom were perfect for what I like. I added some strap insert to move those back a couple of inches. I then took a handsaw and cut a pretty big 'wedge' out of the nose....rail to rail as far back as the mast track.... That removed the excess thickness at the very nose and allowed me to add a bunch of rocker to the now wide nose...

If this shows enough potential to work a bit more, I will certainly move the mast track back at least as far as I moved the straps..Poly/foam boards are really easy to work on...but itchy.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the nose rocker so close to the mast track is going to cause the thing to plow a little bit before it planes up, so as it stands I think it'll
have some trouble getting over its bow wake.

I also am a big fan of double concaves. And besides, like you said,
the price was right. Of course now that you've got all your time into it it's probably worth about $2000. ;*)

Who knows, it may be the next all purpose Gorge shape.

Could be time for some custom graphics also.

I'll be interested to know how it sails, so keep us posted.

-Craig

[quote="dhanson928"]
cgoudie1 wrote:
I am digg'n the shape, but you'd better go to a single bolt base for

-Craig

The rear rocker and double concave bottom were perfect for what I like. I added some strap insert to move those back a couple of inches. I then took a handsaw and cut a pretty big 'wedge' out of the nose....rail to rail as far back as the mast track.... That removed the excess thickness at the very nose and allowed me to add a bunch of rocker to the now wide nose...

If this shows enough potential to work a bit more, I will certainly move the mast track back at least as far as I moved the straps..Poly/foam boards are really easy to work on...but itchy.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthy project!
I chopped over a foot off a RoqueWave8'8" high wind slalom, and it worked great until my van got towed. Left a 8'9" Seatrend in PuertoRico with 10" cut off the nose, worked great.
Planning to chop over a foot off a RogueWave 9'2" slalom in the near future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: