myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter "Fraud" or voter disenfranchisement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, sounds to me like you're indirectly making a case for no absentee ballots. Pretty hard for dead folks to show up and vote at the polls. Moreover, for those folks still alive, they have to show up at the polls and show their photo ID to vote so that there is virtually no chance for voter fraud. If absentee ballots are legally allowed, the person would need to show the county clerk their photo ID to pick up a ballot at the county office during business hours. For those physically unable to pick up their absentee ballot, a court approved guardian could pick up it up by showing their ID and legal paperwork along with the photo ID of the voter. These requirements would apply for each election, with no exceptions.

Pretty simple, right?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for you, that's just one element, but it's more complicated than just that.
From the article, just in case you missed it.

"It remains unclear how the dead voters voted but 86 were registered Republicans, 146 were Democrats, including Cenkner."
"As Goldstein reports, it was all supposed to change after the hanging chads incident in Florida in the 2000 presidential election. Congress passed the Help America Vote Act in 2002, which mandated sweeping reforms, including a statewide voter registration system that would eliminate ineligible voters.

But California is the only state that’s still not compliant with the act. Secretary of State Alex Padilla hopes to have it compliant later this year."

“You’re not supposed to have dead people on the rolls,” said J. Christian Adams, who is with the Public Interest Legal Foundation.

“The problem is California has been the most derelict state in the country in implementing statewide databases that are required under federal law. They just blew it off for over a decade,” said Adams.

I'm all in favor of whatever it takes to stop the fraud, and that includes on line voting, as well as mail in ballots. I'm not saying those should be eliminated, but they sure's as hell better get a better way to verify those votes, like including your new voter ID # on those ballots, a number which can only be used once.
The technology exists, but the liberals are afraid of it.
Maybe we should have unisex voting booths so that nobody will feel disenfranchised, for any reason, and no ID required, would that make everybody happy?
I doubt it.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Maybe for you, that's just one element, but it's more complicated than just that.
From the article, just in case you missed it.

"It remains unclear how the dead voters voted but 86 were registered Republicans, 146 were Democrats, including Cenkner."
"As Goldstein reports, it was all supposed to change after the hanging chads incident in Florida in the 2000 presidential election. Congress passed the Help America Vote Act in 2002, which mandated sweeping reforms, including a statewide voter registration system that would eliminate ineligible voters.

But California is the only state that’s still not compliant with the act. Secretary of State Alex Padilla hopes to have it compliant later this year."

“You’re not supposed to have dead people on the rolls,” said J. Christian Adams, who is with the Public Interest Legal Foundation.

“The problem is California has been the most derelict state in the country in implementing statewide databases that are required under federal law. They just blew it off for over a decade,” said Adams.

I'm all in favor of whatever it takes to stop the fraud, and that includes on line voting, as well as mail in ballots. I'm not saying those should be eliminated, but they sure's as hell better get a better way to verify those votes, like including your new voter ID # on those ballots, a number which can only be used once.
The technology exists, but the liberals are afraid of it.
Maybe we should have unisex voting booths so that nobody will feel disenfranchised, for any reason, and no ID required, would that make everybody happy?
I doubt it.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem with listing those like they are facts. Again they did not say these voted for dems or repugnants in the election did they. IE no one except who cheated, which is probably a inside worker knows how these voted. you post it like it is how they voted which is not in any sort of evidence.

There is absolutely no technology electronic that is safe. This includes in person in a electronic machine even the chad machines thatare read electronically. Any fool who believes that is uneducated as can be.

I have made the challenge before and will do so again, i pick the state and make an electronic voting machine and with the present way things are done/verified i can flip an election and there is no way to stop me. I am willing to bet assets of 2 million dollars to anyone.

Note every electronic vote machine in the usa has been made by very partisan right wingers.

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for taking someones legitimate vote should the persons responsible have to go to jail when it was known there was no in person vote fraud. In this country you are supposed to be innocent till proven guilty...

so when it is one person denied a year, when 10 5 years, when 10,000 per election should the party responsible be disbanded under the rico act??

Again the media does not point out this in the front pages...

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/7/5/1545180/-Abbreviated-pundit-roundup-Voter-suppression-previewing-the-Republican-convention-and-more

Quote:
The right to vote is turning into a tooth-and-claw saga in Kansas, thanks to right-wing ideologues’ determination to force new voters to produce a passport, a birth certificate or naturalization papers as proof of citizenship. [...]

Judge Robinson found that 18,372 qualified voters had been unfairly barred from federal elections — about 8 percent of new applicants. She also found that between 1995 and 2013, there were only three instances in Kansas when noncitizens had voted. This was a humiliating setback for Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who has been a major proponent of the Republican fantasy that voter fraud is rampant. [...]

So goes the weakened state of democracy in Kansas. As the courts thrash through the Republicans’ “voter fraud” myth, it is shocking that thousands of qualified Kansans still have no certainty that they will be allowed into the voting booth.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja posted:
Quote:
determination to force new voters to produce a passport, a birth certificate or naturalization papers as proof of citizenship.

So, in your opinion, what "proof" of citizenship should they have to produce in order to register?
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
baja posted:
Quote:
determination to force new voters to produce a passport, a birth certificate or naturalization papers as proof of citizenship.

So, in your opinion, what "proof" of citizenship should they have to produce in order to register?

in light of what was found IE over reach of the right wing states, 3 people in 8 years of voting. that makes not one shred of difference in any election outcome in the history of this country.

Well a sworn signature under the penalty of perjury. It is then up to the state to prove beyond any doubt they are not a real citizen. Specially when it has never ever been shown to be a problem in the history of our country. The states have the money to do so.

and I believe in biometrics. again you are saying a person is guilty first. It is for the state to prove they are not in the absence of proof any significant problem is real. and not one state or the federal government even when rove made it a top priority in fact he made it higher priority than stopping terrorists and drugs to find vote fraud, to date not one has found non-citizens voting in mass. And that type of fraud is easy to catch if focusing on it. And finally we do have some numbers that the state provided, 3 in 8 years.

again remember any state can then go to the place of birth where the person swore they were born, most states have this information now computerized and verify. States do have access to that information. again the country was founded on innocent till proven guilty.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja said:
Quote:
Well a sworn signature under the penalty of perjury

Maybe in a perfect world where EVERYONE is 100% honest. However, I think we have a ways to go before I would reach that conclusion.

"under penalty of perjury" - Wow, that will scare everyone into following the law.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding proof of citizenship, I'm of the opinion that when someone registers to vote that reasonable evidence could be provided at that time. Moreover, I think that it should be the federal government that establishes the registration requirements so that they are uniform across the nation. Once registered, no further proof of citizenship or ID requirements should be imposed. Of course, when someone actually votes, their signature should be required.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sw said:
Quote:
Regarding proof of citizenship, I'm of the opinion that when someone registers to vote that reasonable evidence could be provided at that time. Moreover, I think that it should be the federal government that establishes the registration requirements so that they are uniform across the nation. Once registered, no further proof of citizenship or ID requirements should be imposed. Of course, when someone actually votes, their signature should be required.

Good with me, but only for only federal elections. Other elections, the states get to do their own thing.

However, if someone shows up without their voters registration card (for a federal election), they would have to have a photo I.D. to confirm who they are. Also, if comparing signatures between the card and voting form, any discrepancy (confirmed by the precinct Chairman) would require a photo I.D. to confirm who the voter really is.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However, if someone shows up without their voters registration card (for a federal election), they would have to have a photo I.D. to confirm who they are. Also, if comparing signatures between the card and voting form, any discrepancy (confirmed by the precinct Chairman) would require a photo I.D. to confirm who the voter really is."

In California, we aren't issued a voter registration card. However, I do receive a sample ballot in the mail that has my name and address printed on it, to include my district voting location. I always bring my sample ballot when voting, and I show it to the volunteer voting staff workers to make the process easy for them.

I do not believe that an ID should be required when voting. That's what registration is all about. Like I pointed out in the past, no one has ever pretended to be me when voting during an election.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 19 of 67

Jump to: