myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Money in politics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. what part about "money is money and free speech is Isobars, Bard, mac and Pueno" did those conservative justices not get?

So Money is speech? Corporations are individuals?

We are screwed. United we stand, divided we fall. I love you guys.

How about that paddle tennis? Pretty nifty huh?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporations have all the rights of an individual now, except the one that tends to deter bad behavior - going to prison.

I wonder if I can renounce my personhood and become a corporation? Hi, my name is youwindsurf, inc. I can run roughshod over anyone without fear of being incarcerated. Life is great!
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need employees to be able to do that, who are you going to hire, illegals?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler, I have said many times there should be a 2 tier flat tax that would remove all deductions for everyone. 10% for everyone over $20k to 200k, then 20% for those who make over 200k.

This would solve all sorts of problems. No more IRS, no issue about gay marriage, total simplification, and elimination of a lot of the lobbying on capitol hill. Most importantly, then there would be NO DEDUCTIBILITY OF CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--you need to get out and read a bit. In no system are political contributions tax deductible. The issue, with the IRS and others, is can the donors be kept secret. Read the report I cited--I actually did.

Aren't you a little curious as to the 100 people that have so much money that they drive the current election cycle? Do you think that is ethical? Especially if they can keep their identities secret?

It was Republicans that blocked any reform of these provisions. Read a bit, and turn off Glenn Beck and Alex Jones.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Chandler, I have said many times there should be a 2 tier flat tax

Yet I'll bet you still haven't taken a good look at the Fair Tax. Every citizen in the country should do so, so informed people can force it into serious legislation consideration. Not the literally reams of false claims about it, but the actual facts and the $20,000,000 in research three graduate business schools poured into it. Anything less, in my and millions of others' studied opinion, is irresponsible citizenship.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought up the tax issue, because most folks use any and all the viable tax write-offs available to them. Similarly, in the 2008 election cycle, Candidate Obama took advantage of all the legal options available to him to maximize campaign contributions. No doubt, he was probably convinced by his campaign management to revise his original strategy to stick with only public funding. Needless to say, if your tax consultant advised you of ways to legally reduce your tax liability, you would probably follow his advice.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, you are somewhat right but very wrong.

Contributions to various "causes" are deductible. We know that those causes can send messages that can really effect elections. There are plenty of "causes" on both sides of the aisle.

And furthermore, Bill Gates contribution to the "Gates" fund, is nothing more than a sham. He controls the stock, the board, and everything in between, while avoiding huge capital gains.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
We know that those causes can send messages that can really effect elections.

While it's possible that messages might on occasion effect elections, it's FAR more common that messages affect elections.

stevenbard wrote:
Bill Gates contribution to the "Gates" fund, is nothing more than a sham. He controls the stock, the board, and everything in between, while avoiding huge capital gains.

Why does Gates enjoy huge capital gains, and how does the so-called "sham" Gates Foundation avoid those gains?

mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven bard--when caught having written something clearly wrong, you do a good job of emulating mrgybe. You essentially argue that you didn't make a mistake, just that everyone misunderstood you. Very funny--but dead wrong. At first you said:

Quote:
then there would be NO DEDUCTIBILITY OF CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS

Then you said:

Quote:
Mac, you are somewhat right but very wrong.

Contributions to various "causes" are deductible. We know that those causes can send messages that can really effect elections. There are plenty of "causes" on both sides of the aisle.

There are organizations--the Tea Party for example--that are formed under 501(c)(4). There are limitations to how much political activity a "social" organization formed under Section 501(c)(4) can engage in, and controversy over whether those rules should be enforced by the IRS, or changed by Congress. But there is no controversy over whether they are deductible. This is from the IRS web site:

Quote:
Donations to Section 501(c)(4) Organizations
Contribu­tions to civic leagues or other section 501(c)(4) organizations generally are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. They may be deductible as trade or business expenses, if ordinary and necessary in the conduct of the taxpayer’s business. How­ever, see Nondeductible Lobbying and Political Expenditures for more information. Also, the organization may be required to disclose that contributions are not deductible when it solicits contributions.

Now if you had suggested that those interested in reform of campaign laws to limit the corrupting influence of money, from all parts of the political spectrum, have a common interest I would agree with you. But I guess you can't help your mrgybe moment. It isn't me--it's you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: