myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2014 Naish Starship 115 vs. 04 Starboard Carve 121

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougKing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: 2014 Naish Starship 115 vs. 04 Starboard Carve 121 Reply with quote

I was looking for a replacement for my 2004 Starboard Carve 121 and was intrigued by the Naish Starship writeups for a board that offers slalom/wave characteristics vs. freestyle/wave characteristics. As I enjoy long reaches on the open ocean, jumping as I go and, having to first get out through the shore break, without a thought to freestyle or racing (unless someone comes along side) the Starship seemed to fit.

I sailed my newly acquired 2014 Naish Starship 115 yesterday, first time, with my 2007 Ezzy Infinity (two cams) on a MFC 36 cm Freemove/Freewave custom fin. I weigh 165 lbs and the wind was side-on at 12 to 20 mph at Oak Island, NC. The beach there has a steeper than normal drop off so, the shore break was fairly rough, up close and, personal.

On launch 'through' the shore break the nose did not pearl. I did not miss the longer length of the Carve. On overpowering reaches across rough open ocean chop, the board was smoother than the Carve and, did not give any hint of dragging while cutting across ocean swells and chop. The harder I pushed the fin, the faster the board went. Not a bit of white-knuckle concern that I was going over the handlebars like I used to have with the Carve when the water gnawed at its rails. The board kept up with the sail and the fin. And. it was a happy moment went I first jumped that board off an ocean swell and landed without a twitch. Smooth.....

The 115 Starship is only @ 1 cm narrower and, 15 cm shorter than the 2004 121 Carve. Its bottom shape; continuous rocker, single to double concave, nice rounded rails and, tail V, is different than the Carve. Also, the Starships' bottom front perimeter edge is beveled (almost like a subtle v). It all made the board feel smaller and, so much looser. But, when the wind died in a few lulls, bringing me to an out-of the straps dead-slow slog, there was plenty of float for me (165 lbs.) and the 7.0 cam sail.

Now, I look forward to sailing her with the 5.8 and the 32 cm fin that came with it. Maybe, the 115 Starship can handle 5.2 conditions too (maybe with a @ 28 cm fin)? The extra volume is nice with a medium sized sail if the winds fall off (lulls), especially in the open ocean where things around you sometimes splash. Of course if its 5.2 steady or, stronger, conditions then, the Donny Bowers, Hatteras Sandwich, B&J custom (86 liters) is the call.

It's still to be seen how well the Starship speed is for slalom performance on flat water (this is a legendary attribute of the Starboard Carve). I will need to do comparative speed assessments (i.e., toe-to-toe racing) when the opportunity avails itself.......

"Life is a Reach, and then you Gybe......." Smile
jlooby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
Great review of the Naish Starship!
Question for you from someone who is looking at that board.
Do you think I could sail it with a 8.0? (Ezzy Cheetah)- 7.5 is the max rec sail size).
I sail Lake Huron in similar conditions to you - long reaches in chop / rolling swell.
Plan to sail it with a 8.0 and 6.3.
Currently use a RRD Firemove 120 (which I really like) - but would switch / add a board for something better in chop.
185lbs fresh water.

PS I'd be interested t hear your updated review of the starship.
Thanks
Joe
adamel111

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any review/comments on the construction? I'm hesitant of wood construction - prefer full carbon. I'm a bigger guy so the board gets pounded a bit. I'm concerned about soft spots. I would also prefer the board to be lighter but the board is only offered in one construction (about 2 poundd or so heavier than comparable boards in carbon).
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check on this, but I think the star ship is a bit heavier because it built with a closed cell foam. After 37 years of windsurfing, I think the fact that the core will not suck up water like a sponge, vs. a few extra pounds is a very good thing. Unless you make your living as a pro windsurfer, you will not notice the weight on the water except that the board might ride smoother....
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller is usually higher performance
At 165 lbs., a 100 liter board is a big floater, and it's lighter weight, like in a FSW design, would be quicker responding, more playful, and probably plane up quicker with a 6.5 sail.
Bigger sails, however, need more float.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: