myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pwa longboard racing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: pwa longboard racing? Reply with quote

I was just looking at the pwaworldtour.com website. Seems that they had a windsup team relay race at the Cold Water event.

How long before they go back to longboard (raceboard) racing so they can go upwind and race no matter how light the wind is? Then, they would know when races would start (no more waiting for wind) and they could schedule TV time, get more sponsors, ...... wait, oh sorry, I seem to be having a flashback to the 1980's.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula racing is the name used and it died for lack of sponsors.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

formula is not the same as raceboard.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula was chosen to open up classes to various race boards.
The main criteria is the one you mentioned.
Low wind racing.
It also was meant to boost other race board sports that were dying like Olympic longboards.
When sponsors did not come forward because few folks buy the gear, all these sports died together.
They changed theFormula to respond to the lack of interest.
If any money stepped up the longboards could have become the Formula.
Neal Pryde came through with the Techno Race Series for low wind racing.
It reached the point that NP loaned a rig to EVERY person who signed up and still didn't get enough sailors to fill one heat in Maui, which is crawling with sailors of all kinds.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of support for racing programs is one of the things killing windsurfing. I used to work on the committee for the Cabrillo Beach Enduro. 5 years ago we had 62 signed up, because it was windy. Two years ago we had I think 16, and that signaled the end of the Enduro. No one wants to sponsor an event that no one shows up for, why would they?

"But it wasn't going to be windy!" they whined. So what? It's called SUPPORT. You show up anyway, to SUPPORT your sport and show the sponsors they're not wasting their money. L.A. sailors killed their only local race, and still wonder if SOMEBODY'S going to put on another Enduro.

Not bloody likely.

I bought a Kona One, and it was a lot of fun, but I didn't have anyone to play with, and there aren't any races here on the left coast, so I sold it.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The East Coast Windsurfing Festival that Mike Burns & friends have been running on Long Island for a bunch of years now has increased the local demand for longboards. We bought a couple, one guy bought an Equipe back that he had sold 2 years ago, and I know a few other guys who got longboards - even some new ones from Starboard. Amazing how much fun you can have on a longboard in 10-15 mph!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr- yes, the ECWF is a great thing. I've raced in almost all of them. Started with an Exocet Pacer, but eventually found and bought a Fanatic Megacat. I was planning on going to your CC event, but sprained my foot the Thursday before that weekend, so was unable to go. Couldn't even drive for a few days. I also missed one of the LI events due to an emergency appendectomy. I do have a 3rd place trophy from two years ago. Hope to see you at the LI and CC events next year.

Anyway, my initial post was meant to be a bit TIC, but I guess that does not come through well on the old interwebs.

It just struck me as funny that PWA sailors were racing on windSUPs at an official event. Almost like a re-evolution of the sport.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 , too bad you missed Cape Cod - you could have seen a PWA sailor on a longboard! Caesar Finies was on the Starboard Phantom 320 for a few heats. Phil Soltysiak stuck to his freestyle gear and did amazingly well for his gear choice, beating quite a few longboard sailors with much bigger sails - but he was about 7 spots behind Caesar in most heats.

Hope you have more luck with your health next year. I'm training hard to place in front of you in Long Island!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWA Longboard Racing: sounds like an oxymoron to me!

It's a good thing PWA people now feel allowed to goof around...

Also, I was looking at the Starboard site yesterday and I think they are increasing their longboard offering. They have the Phantom 290, 320 and 377, the Go and Atom Windsurfers, the Rios, Rio Longtail, Starts, WindSUP and Gemini.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phantom 320 has been discontinued a while ago. I liked it, but it was a bit short for a longboard, and more oriented towards planing than low-wind glide.

The Phantom 295 is definitely not a longboard, nor are the Go, Atom, Starts, or Rios. The Rio Longtail is an interesting addition, and just about long enough to count as a longboard.

The Phantom 377, however, is definitely a long board, and kicks ass in just about any wind. It is, however, a few thousand dollars above my price range... decided to spend $100 on an Mistral Pandera from 1990 instead. With 353 cm, it just about the longest board that I can fit into the top rack of my van.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: