myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind strength Oahu vs Kauai
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wave at the Y Camp is wiped out by larger swell, you can consider Middles and adjacent spots in Hanalei Bay. The surf break at Hanalei is too sheltered to windsurf, but you might be able to get some action on the outer point at Hanalei. Needless to say, the reef at Hanalei is gnarly.

Regarding Tunnels and Cannons, there is considerable distance between the two spots, however, the small bay between the two spots is wind protected and can have a nasty shorebreak. Because of that, it's best to launch east of Tunnels between the Y Camp and the point at Tunnels reef. With a good sized swell, it might be tricky finding the right spot to launch and return through the reefs.

Although I've never windsurfed on the Westside, the surf can be outstanding particularly at Kene Kene (not sure of spelling) and Major's Bay in the Barking Sands Navy base. Also up toward Polihale, Queen's Pond could be great, but it's sort of hard to find in the cane fields. The thing about the Westside is that the NW to W swells and the trades can wrap around the island.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff above...
I might add, I sailed left's at Middles and right's at Pinetrees, the inside play break next to the pier at Hanalei. More filled in on typical winds than Hanalei, I never even seriously considered windsurfing Hanalei itself.
There's a tree lined drive into a spot called something like Mahalapuu or something like that near Lihue. It looks like Sylt in Germany for wind direction in regards to backside wave riding. I've only seen pictures of there, but local SanFrancisco surfer/windsurfers have sailed there quite a bit. I think it works only on kona winds, SSW.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to spend half the year on Kauai back in the 80's before I moved to Maui, so things may have changed since I was there, but here are my memories.
1. Tunnels can be very intense on a big NW swell. During the summer months, the trade swell wraps around the point, making a fun playful wave that peters out into the bay so there is an easy exit at the end of the wave. A big northwest swell tends to quickly close out at the end of the wave at a section that we used to call the "lion's jaws", and if you have not kicked out by then you are screwed. If you fall or try to straighten out in front of the wave, you will be pushed onto a large reef with a few inches of water and very strong currents that make it nearly impossible to get off of with a windsurfer. We used to call it "the penalty box".
2. The closest access to tunnels is through a narrow channel at the tip of the point, upwind of the break. If you have any question about being able to nail this channel, or being able to get back upwind to it, don't go out.
3. Y-camp is another half mile upwind of tunnels, and is the easiest access, however with a big NW swell there is likely to be a nasty shore break. There is a peak wave on the outside of y-camp that I have ridden at around 15 feet, but it never lined up into a wall.
4. A spot that I used to like to sail on a NW swell is at a point a few hundred yards past the beginner area at Anini Beach east of Hanlalei. It needs to have stronger than normal trades to work. There is a channel out off the tip of the point, and then a nice outside peak on the downwind side of the channel. The end of the wave will close out onto a shallow reef that may or may not be crossable depending on the tide and the size of your fins, so be prepared to kick out before the inside reef unless you are sure. I have sailed this spot up to 15'+, but not sure how it will work out if this next swell gets over 20'.
4. Mahaulepu that was mentioned is actually on the south shore closer to Poipu. It works on normal NE trades with a south swell, and is a 'down the line' wave as opposed to backside. You just have to time your bottom turns around the "three sisters" coral heads that bubble to the surface. There is a nice 4-6' south swell predicted for this same time period, so if the north shore looks like too much, this might be worth checking out.
Anyway, those are my memories from 30 years ago. Hope you have a good trip.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Tunnels is probably well outside my comfort zone - any suggestions for North Shore spots that are not as gnarly as Tunnels but will still get pretty decent in a big NW swell.

Two spots when there is enough wind, middles in Hanalei bay, this is the last stop on the bay as you are heading North, there will be a dozen or so cars parked and the water is right next to the road. The break is out a little to the right. The wind is notoriously holey and gusty. If it's windy there will be no surfers. Middles is on the far left hand side of the bay so the wind has a chance to build up strength as it blows across the entire bay. The main break at Hanalei is on the far right hand side and mostly in the wind shadow of the land mass that is Princeville although some wind does blow down the river and straight at the break, sort of an offshore wind but not enough to sail. Only when there is a Kona wind and it becomes completely onshore, all the surfers disappear and kites and sails will be all over this part of Hanalei bay.
Anini, go past the main parking area/boat ramp/lagoon and continue down the long straightaway, the road turns to the right and there is a little point here where the break is a little further out to sea and hence a little windier, this is called 59's. You will have to park on the side of the road and you can rig on the lawn of the property across the street. This is a good spot, the water is shallow and most people only sail at a higher tide so small fins. If there is no parking you can drive down the road about 1/2 mile and sail upwind to the break.
As you look upwind you can see you are in the wind shadow of Kilauea point where the lighthouse is, Haena is clear of this wind shadow and always the windiest spot but really experts only for many reasons.
About once a year we get a straight onshore North wind and we can sail the entire Anini lagoon, long reaches in very flat water.
There is one other spot that may be do able but I have never seen anyone try, it's called futures, it's the break out past the main break at Hanalei, it's far enough out that it's mostly clear of the wind shadow of Princeville and the Princeville Hotel looming over it. Mostly only surfed by a few SUP's when it's big because the peak moves around a lot. The wind moving down the coast meets the wind coming down the river valley here. In the summer just a little more inside is called summer's as it get's an eastern windswell. Laird SUP's out here when it's huge and everyone watches from the bluff on the grass field by the hotel. Crawlers don't even try here because the peak moves around so much which is why I think a windsurfer could really kill it here with the right conditions.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, make sure you bring everything you need because there is not one windsurfing/kite shop, you couldn't find so much as one footstrap on the whole island let alone a component.
If you break something PM me and I will loan it to you.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I am wrong but I don't think there will be enough wind to sail this weekend unless it gets a lot windier tomorrow. There is only the beginning of an occasional whitecap and rain looming. I took this picture today, Friday around noon from the end of my road in Princeville looking straight West, the point of land sticking out the furthest is Kilauea point where the lighthouse is. In the foreground below me is the end of the Anini lagoon, where the reef cuts in is the end of Anini road where a stream lets in and makes a channel in the reef. Where the reef is sticking out the furthest, this is called 59's and a good place to sail waves outside the lagoon. In the background inside the lagoon is where the boat ramp is, a deep wide spot in the lagoon with swimmers and a more beginner windsurfing area.

KIMG0039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  12788 Time(s)

KIMG0039.jpg

capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I looked at Tunnels on Friday but decided the swell was too big. Shortly afterwards the rain came and killed the wind so I'm glad I wasn't tempted. The potential of the spot is impressive, but will have to wait for another time with a smaller winter swell, or a summer trade swell. On Saturday I sailed Mahaulepu. One other windsurfer and 5 kiters. I almost ran into the coral heads going DTL, but once I figured them out I had a great sail. The cove upwind of the sailing site met my wife's requirements for natural beauty, shelter from the wind, relatively safe swimming for the kids and shady trees so she was happy to spend the entire day there. We returned to Oahu on Sunday. Kauai is a beautiful island and I look forward to returning.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, you said with regard to your pic that it was taken looking straight west. Don't yo mean looking straight east?
W1
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, looking straight east.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: