myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
uneven harness lines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be you. Might be the Windwing Bashes.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy boast about the battens pockets being perfectly symmetric, to insure a symmetric sail profile. Maybe there's truth in that. My most used Ezzy's require symmetric harness lines anyway.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy Lion, Ezzy Cheetah, Ezzy Panther Ltd: all asymmetric for me with the same sides always forward/back. It's always been this way, with my Naish, Loft, Neil Pryde sails too.

I would've thought the Ezzy "Endo Batten" concept of the pockets being part of the sail instead of sewn onto one side would have eliminated the asymmetric harness lines, but no. So I'm still thinking it could be how the sail spends its time rolled with the battens popped in the same direction whenever the sail is put away.

Is there anyone who rigs "upside down" (as if you're on port tack)?...Windoggie, if I remember correctly Windwings always rigged "upside down". So if you rig/roll/store your sail the opposite way from me then I'd predict that your port tack harness line is the one that is farther back than the other. (My starboard tack one is always more aft.)

In the photo my sail is rigged on starboard tack. The harness line you see is the one for me that is always more aft. Since my sails spend their storage time (and lying around rigged time) with battens popped onto starboard as shown, I'm thinking the battens become a bit stiffer when forced onto the other tack, having to overcome the slight starboard tack bend preset.

Bob

Rigged on Starboard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.32 KB
 Viewed:  7725 Time(s)

Rigged on Starboard.jpg

windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting answers all...I guess there are mysteries that defy logic. I guess I'll just go with it and have fun.

Thanks gang.

shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windoggie--But what's your answer?? Please tell us, do you rig on port, and is your port tack line the one further back?? Your answer may solve the whole mystery Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled out my booms to check...I rig with the port side of the sail up, and my lines are farther back on the starboard side. The same with both sails.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for replying! I guess my theory is shot to hell...ok, you're right--time to just forget about it and have fun.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who has never had a sail that was different on port and starboard? I've never seen a difference, unless a cam was broken.

Last edited by konajoe on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
Ok, thanks for replying! I guess my theory is shot to hell...ok, you're right--time to just forget about it and have fun.

My theory is that most of us are right-handed, our right arms are stronger (and maybe slightly longer), and so we move the lines a little bit to compensate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: