myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to reduce the number of boards in quiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Some people drag a trailer around with all their stuff. Adds to their popularity.

Man, you come up with some great one-liners. Very Happy
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, if you have special boards for different spots get rid of them.
A good Gorge board should work anywhere in the Gorge.
Test ride the new boards. I don't do huge stuff or Race gear.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Seriously though, if you have special boards for different spots get rid of them.
A good Gorge board should work anywhere in the Gorge.
Test ride the new boards. I don't do huge stuff or Race gear.

I do have a board that is close to a "works anywhere in the Gorge" board...the same 8'1" Open Ocean I have been riding everywhere for many years...It is a Good Gorge Board but not a 'one size fits all/ I don't think there is one of those....

I have ridden that Open Ocean with a 2.8 to a 5.7 and on a half-way windy day I usually tote that one down to Doug's...because it IS so versatile. On normal Gorge wind days, it is great everywhere on the river and in the ocean. If I were limited to one board that would be it...but I don't have a 'board restriction'...

Marginal wind days, or days with a late wind start, I've decided it's more fun to take along a larger board. I now can just skip the 'sit on shore and look at I-Windsurf on your phone, BS with the other wind snobs and then drive home without sailing, or the spend all day and finally get an hour session...... I take out the floaty board and get wet with the kiters...and often it's really fun....The Open Ocean will work...in the gusts but I sink in the holes and that is not fun at all...BTDT too dang many times...I leave the OO in the van till the wind is solid..

On days where I anticipate 40s...I like my small board, because that is more fun in strong winds than the Open Ocean..but again, the OO will work, it just isn't the best tool for that job, either.

So back to the original subject: You can get by with just a single board, I guess, if you don't care to pack around more, but it IS rewarding to have the 'Perfect' board along when you need or want it...
westender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting having only 1 board. You need the proper size to suit the conditions. The OP was carrying extra boards for his special needs. I have 2 OO's that get me from 3.2 to 5.2 and pull out a bigger board for the 5.7.

Too many people think there's a magic board or piece of gear that will make them a better sailor. Let me know when you find it. I want one too. Embarassed

I'm also not suggesting a OO for the OP. I think the new style boards may work better for people with less experience or skill.
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry I have an OO that I found in a pawn shop in Vancouver. It was made for a big guy and does what it does well. In the same volume (105l) I have an 277 F2 ride, a Realwind fish, and a Mistral Synchro. All great boards that have their personalities and excel at different things in different water conditions. This is only one class of board. Light wind? I got a Starboard carve 122, old 130l AHD free diamond, Naish Enduro, 115l F2 282 Ride. Again all great boards with different uses. Big wind, don't get me started. Not bragging here, none of these is worth anything. I guess more to the point of the original thread is how do you pair those down, keep the SO happy, and still have fun sailing. I was hoping that the new $2000 board would be so much better that shit canning the old stuff would be easy. Not what I'm hearing. Anyway the SO was very pleased to be called a wind babe hottie.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnL- I bet we sail together often yet I can't figure out who you are. To solve your high wind problem, try the purple fish. You already sail RW, so you like the ride. There is a mint one for sail in HR for $400. A steal. I just picked one up myself. It will cut through virtually any Gorge choppy crud and turns on a dime. Jim's favorite board.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
JohnL- I bet we sail together often yet I can't figure out who you are. To solve your high wind problem, try the purple fish. You already sail RW, so you like the ride. There is a mint one for sail in HR for $400. A steal. I just picked one up myself. It will cut through virtually any Gorge choppy crud and turns on a dime. Jim's favorite board.

That is because I blend in Smile Thanks for the info on the fish, I might have to look into it... Smile
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of boards, but have narrowed my usage down to three, and usually only carry two. I weigh in as a pretty average guy of 175 to 180lbs.

To reduce the qty of boards in your quiver I think it's about board versatility. Floatier, shorter boards will provide fun in wider condition ranges, Nuanced board performance, as mentioned by previous responders, can be more narrowly achieved with fin exchange and sail adjustment.

For someone my size, I think the most versatile board one can sail is the 90 liter Realwind (Blue) Fish. I have found it to perform extremely well with sail sizes from 4.2 to 6.2. Fin size from 8.5 to 9.5.

Next is 80 liter Naish Wave. 3.7 to 4.2.

These two accommodate 90+ % of my many days on the water in The Gorge.

75 liter Naish Wave for steady 3.2 to 3.7 which, in my experience, just doesn't happen that often ("steady" part).

CU Sailin'

westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sounding like The Princess and the Pea. I've only been on one board in 25 years that I couldn't have fun on and one more that had an uncomfortable deck.

The wind is the problem not the boards.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westender - I have to agree and disagree with your comments. It IS about the wind. Using the right board can and does make me a much better sailor. I too use the 90L blue fish that CU Sailin advocates. Why?.. it allows me to effectively deal with the 15-20 mph fluctuations. When it is down around 14mph I slide through holes while others sink and hula awaiting a gust like they are at Jaws. When it ramps up to 28-30, that board can handle the wind with a little extra bumping solved by thicker foot pads. We all sail the same conditions which are anything but steady. It's what is under our feet that changes our experience from "make it work" to "dialed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: