myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to reduce the number of boards in quiver
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: How to reduce the number of boards in quiver Reply with quote

I have a bad habit of going to swap meets and buying windsurf boards for a song. These boards all have distinct properties and are very good at what they do. The problem being that I like to sail various sites from Stevenson to Rowena and each site requires its own gear. So, I load 4 boards to the truck depending on where I'm sailing and off I go. This drives the SO crazy as she is a minimalist and thinks all one needs is two boards, and she would like to start traveling in the same rig. I've heard that new boards are more versatile so I investigated the Tabou 3S which is supposed to do everything. The 2014 model sells for a whopping $1700 in the cheap construction. I'm used to paying $80 with a bag. What's a hoarder to do to minimize without spending a small fortune.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one board that does it all, really. I think one needs at least two, unless you are an absolute wind snob (then only a small one will do). Despite the hype, NONE of the big fat stiff Chinese/mega-neospoon boards are any good for nuke but probably OK for general 15-30 conditions.

Make a judgement call before you load up with TWO of your most likely to be utilized boards. If the conditions are not what you expected, DEAL WITH IT and become a better windsurfer. Adapt your sailing style and rig right; learn to sail a different pattern or go to a different site. Do not undervalue the presence of a hottie for your trip! There are HUNDREDS of lone wolves in the Gorge who would DIE for a windsurfbabe in the passenger seat. Or even as the driver!

Time to go shred...

Last edited by biffmalibu on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one board that I use in the Gorge - 74 liter Starboard Kode. I weight in at about 145 lbs. I have two fins for it and sail it in 2.8 to 4.7 conditions. My minimum wind threshold is 20 mph average. Anything less, I do something else. I sailed my 2.8 three times on the Kode this year and was sailing the Kode on "Super Tuesday" at the Hatch this year. I find switching to a smaller fin when it is 2.8 and 3.2 makes a big difference.

It works for me. Your experience may vary.
anderson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also only use one board in the gorge - and I am here from early-June to Labor day in September. I weigh in at 150 and am 5'10", .

78 litre Quatro Wave 2013 (just bought the 14, yeah) oh, and also a quiver of 2014 goys gurus don't hurt either.
I have sailed 3.0 to 4.2, (and in desperation, a 4.7 twice this year). And I am not a wind snob....but if it is under 20 kts, I too will go do something else.

This makes life simple - it blows my mind to see people with more boards than sails in their quiver. Just get an amazing/semi new board instead of junk from swap meets and you'll be really happy and surprised at how rangy it can be. Staying current with your gear rocks.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anderson wrote:
I also only use one board in the gorge - and I am here from early-June to Labor day in September. I weigh in at 150 and am 5'10", .

78 litre Quatro Wave 2013 (just bought the 14, yeah) oh, and also a quiver of 2014 goys gurus don't hurt either.
I have sailed 3.0 to 4.2, (and in desperation, a 4.7 twice this year). And I am not a wind snob....but if it is under 20 kts, I too will go do something else.

This makes life simple - it blows my mind to see people with more boards than sails in their quiver. Just get an amazing/semi new board instead of junk from swap meets and you'll be really happy and surprised at how rangy it can be. Staying current with your gear rocks.

By definition, you ARE a wind snob, just as I am. Most people are, judging by the number of people sitting on shore when it's breezy. It's called "preferences".

After many years of looking and demoing, I finally found a new board I'm interested in owning. What's special about it? Its retro shape and resulting performance. It sail like all those similar "swap meet junkers", just better than most at what I want in a board. $1,900 better? That's a very personal choice. I FAR prefer the handling of older boards in Gorge chop, and the only "current" I care about is the dam flows at The Dalles and John Day.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy answer is to take 4 or 5 of them and give them to the CGWA
(or me). Problem solved.

I have 3 boards here in HR, and I only travel with 2 (and often 1). I use
whatever predictive knowledge is available to decide which boards I travel
with. 2 boards is plenty. My custom 80 ltr will carry sails from 5.7 to 3.7,
which is pretty much also what I travel with (though I have sails on
either side of that range). That gets me from solid 18 to 40 MPH.
I weigh 180 lbs.

You might need 3 boards if you were sailing the coast, and then sailing the Gorge in the same day, but some wave boards are pretty good Gorge
boards, so, back to 2.

If you have 4 boards, and need them all for specific Gorge venues, they
are all probably too specific in design.

-Craig
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to reduce the number of boards in quiver Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
he Tabou 3S which is supposed to do everything. The 2014 model sells for a whopping $1700 in the cheap construction. I'm used to paying $80 with a bag. What's a hoarder to do to minimize without spending a small fortune.

The Tabou 3S is a great board (I have the 106), it's a test winner in all the Euro windsurfing mags: it's strong point is comfort. One board only for the Gorge? Na, there would be to many days bullshitting on the beach.

But 2 boards would make sense for me: it would be a Fanatic Freewave 75 and a Tabou 3S 95. With those two, I would sail AND HAVE FUN 75 to 80% of the summer days in the Gorge.

1700$, a small fortune? Come on, how much do you spend on your car every year? And windsurfing is way more fun than driving Wink
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two boards, both Tabou Da Curves, 74 and 85 Liters. They carry everything from a 3.1, only on Super Tuesday, to a 5.2, only at the Coast. The break is at 4.2, steady = little board, holey= bigger board. Both are three+ years old. Youwindsurf is spot on about changing fins to broaden a boards range.

The potential with a board like the 3S, and I love Tabous, is that it will do many things okay, but nothing really well. You will have to pick your poison. Bigger than 5.2 you would probably have to add something in the 100 liter range or a kite. Yes, I am a wind snob and damn proud of it.

BTW, I am 5'10", 170 pounds, brown and brown, and love sunset walks on the beach.
GuyT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifeonwater wrote:

The potential with a board like the 3S, and I love Tabous, is that it will do many things okay, but nothing really well.

Nothing really well? I have to disagree with that. The recent "do-it-all" boards (Freewaves) have nothing to do with the "convertible" boards of the past century,

I have a Tabou Rocket 105 (2011), a pure freeride board, and a Tabou 3S 106 (2012). The Rocket is probably a bit faster and goes upwind a bit better, but in terms of fun on the water, the 3S is by far my favorite one.

I also have the Fanatic Freewave 75 (jack of all trade) and the Fanatic Newave 76 (pure wave) and again, I prefer the Freewave: I get electricity flowing when I put my feet on it.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He who dies with the most toys wins" is my motto.

I am close to having one windsurf board per sail size.
Of course the boards will all easily handle 1-2 sail sizes bigger or smaller than their ideal size, and I usually just bring 1 or 2 boards to the beach on any given day based on the expected conditions. I think I would get bored always sailing on the same board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: