myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crazy gusts - what to do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Agreed Manuel.

A sail size down and a board size up in very gusty (usually offshore) conditions is a good way to go for when we just MUST get out there in those all too common real world winds!

Really ?!? Do you realize the OP was on a 145 lt. board? Or you was in such a hurry to not miss the chance of mocking Isobars, that you didn't take the time to read the original post?
I'm assuming you are talking in general /which doesn't help much/ and you are actually against going too small on the board and too big on the sail which will be a good advise. I'll chime in that the middle of the road is the best way for those conditions. To Rangerider: the sail is the perfect size /you may add an adjustable outhaul/ and replacing the board with a smaller, racier one will improve control with a very little early planning sacrifice. Look at it this way: you are trading a bit of the boring part of the scale for the fun part.
And btw Isobars makes a very good point as usual and switching to a "sinker" when the wind is stronger and steadier improves your skills dramatically by teaching you to be pro active windsurfer as opposed to the figure 7 statue style a big board promotes.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really!

Did YOU read the post before yours? (We both agree with Manuel.) We all switch to sinkers when the wind is stronger but STEADIER!
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel hit the nail on the head, which is why gurgle and iso both agreed.
In gusty conditions (depending on the venue, of course) the water tends to be flatter, meaning one can get away with a larger board. With the same sail, the larger board will plane in less wind, and the smaller sail will obviously be superior in the strong gusts. I've sailed a 115 and 5.5 in those conditions--that'd normally be a mismatch, but in 5-30, it's about the best I can do.

It's also good to have a plan, notwitstanding the uncertainty of the wind. I usually use the gusts to grind upwind and put money in the bank, so that in the lulls I can afford to sail deep downwind to try to stay on plane.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Only thing you can do to make the best of 1-28 mph winds is to constantly look upwind and recognize the timing of the incoming gusts, their shape, and whether to head off the wind or pinch upwind to stay in the gusts as long as you can, or to avoid the brunt of the severity by getting going earlier before the big hit get's to your sail.

This is 100% spot on IMO. The biggest factor when handling gusty conditions is doing what's known in the rest of the sailing world as "getting your head outside of the boat." The trick to surviving and thriving in gusty conditions is to constantly be watching the water upwind scanning for gusts and lulls. In these conditions, I personally like to rig one size bigger with extra down haul to get as much range as possible out of my gear. But the trick is knowing your gear (whatever you choose to sail) so that you know by feel how much wind it takes to get up on plane and at what point you're going to drop of plane. You will expend the most amount of energy trying to pump your gear onto plane when it's too light or maintain a plane into a lull. It's also critical that you use the gusts as an opportunity to work your way upwind, that way when you sail into a lull, you can bear off and stay on plane. With some practice, you can "connect the dots" sailing upwind during the puffs, gliding through the lulls, and hooking up with the next puff. This type of wind can actually provide a very challenging and rewarding day on the water as it requires a lot more skill and focus than sailing on a solid, steady 20 knot day.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
I usually use the gusts to grind upwind and put money in the bank, so that in the lulls I can afford to sail deep downwind to try to stay on plane.

Yes! Of all the points of sail, the easiest one when vastly overpowered is upwind. Way off the wind when overpowered must also be learned, but that's a whole 'nuther skill.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our bad rolling wind days, 2-28, it's usually better to ride the gusts downwind as long as you can, then pinch upwind on a slog.
Upwind slogging, you use the most wind that's availible.
Downwind to ride the gust as long as you can does take you downwind, but it also lengthens your fun time.
As for sail, I rig small, use a big board. Since in the lulls you have no chance to plane, smaller sails are easier to hold up in sub 5 mph breezes.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding BFF,

I don't use it much, I find ackward to get planing like that. However I will get out of the front strap first when I get tossed around, loosing the plane and I'm unsure what's going to happen in the next few seconds. If I get straight back on plane from a hard to predict gust, I consider I spared a catapult! Most of the time, I will however get the back foot out too and prepare to restart.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFF when well overpowered works fine and easy for me.
Like 6.0 sail in gusts up to 33, it prevents the launch, and it's easy to plane up with that much wind. It works well with 6.0 in gusts of 24 also.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we have argued about the getting to plane sequence.

i guess since lots of the beginners and intermediates have gotten stuck because they never had a chance to obtain the skills, since they were stuck in a glass ceiling scenario has biased me and lots of others against BFF. in florida, the average sail size used is a 7.5. board, 130 liter. those that insist on BFF here have either quit or sail about 3 times a year.

slogging while unhooked is not nearly as physically demanding if one does so more often. it's like running or doing push ups, the more you do it, the more your body adapts. might i mention that when one wave sails, one typically has to do so unhooked anyway. so, having sailing unhooked skills and conditioning will prepare us all if the chance to do so manifests.

yes, there are times when hooked while slogging may apply, but in ballistic conditions, i typically will not. this is especially true when i'm choosing a larger kit to fill in the lulls.

besides staying large to manage gusty conditions, one can work on retaining the plane in lulls by maximizing sailing efficiency techniques to glide thru low patches on one's apparent wind and the light stuff combined. how? max commitment to having the kit work most efficiently.

longer lines

mast perpendicular to the horizon when the sail is raked back on the deck. achieved by pulling down on the boom and having one's carcass fully extended out over the water to then push a maximum amount of lift into the fin.

feet out on the rail.

the above works for me in florida. i'm 215 lbs and can often out plane folks that weigh 50 lbs less than me. some of the pro's i.ve sailed with are way better than me at doing this, especially if they have a 20-40 lb advantage. the only exceptions concerning weight are antoine albeau and patrice belbeoch. those guys are smarter about how to sail than anyone else i've ever been sailing with.

the only time BFF works for me is in super stormy conditions. then the meaning of the abbreviation is BOTH feet first. in chronic onshore conditions, i sometimes see one of the few stubborn guys doing BFF thru the impact zone and struggle because they don't have the SKILL nor the planing power to get up on a plane to get out of harm's way as easily as the rest of us that FFF. they waste energy, time and may hurt themselves because they get worked far more than those that FFF.

so my way or highway dogma comes from sailing larger gear in light and challenging conditions. those that choose to do BFF here in florida don't sail much, and when they do, they don't plane much.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LAST place I'd want to be with only my front foot in its bear trap is a gusty, gnarly impact zone trying its damnedest to pitch me and crush that front instep. With my back foot anchored but unweighted and my front foot up towards the mast step and weighted as necessary, I'm secure and can trim the board instantly without moving my feet to accommodate just about anything the ocean or gusty impact zone winds dish out.

Just two days ago I slogged a little sinker hundreds of yards across a very gusty shoreline wind shadow zone with my back foot anchored and my front foot well forward of my mastfoot. The board was submerged, but was level and controllable, and staying hooked in put the stress where I prefer it: through the hardware. It was the anticipated end to a typical evening of strong winds (averaging over 30) on the outside and an ever-widening, ever-weakening zone of 5-30 as we neared shore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: