myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need help getting an old Minstral rig together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saulb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Need help getting an old Minstral rig together Reply with quote

Hey guys, first time poster here Smile

I got an old Minstral Shredder setup handed down but its missing the mast base and mast.

The pics show what the track looks like and the parts that I do have.

Whats the best solution for getting a mast on this thing? As you can see i have the mast extension, should I just buy the mast that works with the extension or go with a different mast altogether. If i do go with a different mast/extension, are there compatible options with this track on the board?

And also how is the board for someone who's 190 pounds? The volume is 128L, 9'9" and 23' wide.

And there are 5 sails that came with it, from small ones to bigger ones, all have mast size of 4.65 written on them. Oh and a bunch of booms came with it also.

Thanks,

SaullyB

1387_6-large.jpg
 Description:
This is what the track looks like
 Filesize:  415.07 KB
 Viewed:  10638 Time(s)

1387_6-large.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg
 Description:
These are the parts that I have.
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Viewed:  10638 Time(s)

IMG_4295.jpg

rhorton1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears your board will accept a standard 1- or 2-bolt mast base. However, it doesn't appear your mast extension will be compatible with that... You may have to end up purchasing both a mast base and extension :/
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You will need a new mast bast and extension and you indicated you need a new mast as well.
That is more of an intermediate board and will be difficult to learn on. Especially at 190#. If that is the only choice you have for learning, you will need to be diligent and never give up.
If you have other choices on the learning part, you will want to explore them until you are up to being ready for this board.
saulb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet so this is the standard type of mast base track, so I have many many options. Thank you guys for that info Smile

For the learning I have snowboarded/skated/surfed for the past 10 years and have sailboat sailing experience so hopefully that will help me speed up the learning process.

What size mast and extension sizes would you guys recommend for sails that say mast 4.65? Should the mast be that size or should it's be a little smaller since the extension comes into play with the size also? What's the sweet spot that you'd recommend?

SaullyB
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern masts are in 30cm. increments, so a 460 cm mast will work fine. Next size up is 490cm. going the other way, next size down is a 430 cm.

It is better to have the mast length no longer than the luff length of the sail. For instance if your sail says that the luff is 450 a 430 mast with 20 cm. extension will work better than putting that sail on a 460 mast with the head adjusted to accommodate the mast.

Many of the older sails fit on a 460 mast by having the head being adjustable with a strap. I had a 3.7 sail with a head strap that adjusted out about 30", the sail did not work at all well like this because a 460 mast was way too stiff. It would have worked much better on a 400 mast.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling two holes near the bottom of the pictured extension might allow using the extension with a Chinook mast foot/universal (mfu)with two push pins. Before bothering with the drilling make sure the top of the Chinook "mfu" will fit inside the bottom of the extension. The screws, bolts or rivets holding the cleat/pulleys on the extension might prevent the Chinook "mfu" from fitting inside the extension. So, a twist-on Chinook mast foot/universal might be the only part needed. (Be careful to drill holes just large enough for the push pins.)
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: The board has a modern mast track that will be compatible with any modern universal joint (but not with the old u-joint in the picture).

Ironic news: At 128 liters, the board is definitely too small to learn on. You'll realize that as soon as you step on it and it sinks underwater. So the fact that is has a nice mast track is kind of irrelevant.

Medium news: Most old sails will work fine with a modern 460 cm mast, so at least you got some sails that will be usable once you get a mast, a u-joint, an extension, and a 200 liter board. Smile

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the mast extension/universal/mount relic pictured, I wonder about the various sails. Are they ancient like the mast extension, or are they mid-90s sails that would tend to correspond with the Mistral Shredder. The references to a 4.65 mast suggests older sails. A list of the sails (size, brand and model), to includes photos, would good information to consider. Are the booms clamp-on or tie-on designs? Seeing the full picture is the best route to sound advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: