myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
need help im not allowed to windsurf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: need help im not allowed to windsurf Reply with quote

Im not allowed to windsurf in both lakes by my house one is pretty big and I cant see why not! Should I talk to the owner of lake. the county comissiners . the mayor. get petitions signed or file a lawsuit. Only fishing and hunting boats are allowed. Or do I have to move. The forest cops got me at the smaller one, and the dnr busted me at the larger one. Maybe I can camo my windsurf board and say its a hunting boat.
Puffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sailboard is a watercraft, it is not a boat. Check the laws and by-laws to find exactly what is referenced. Do they also restrict canoes, sailing dinghies, and row-boats? Maybe you had been behaving like an a'hole, disturbing fishermen and animals and claiming right of way. Maybe you can get the relevant laws changed, what is written by man can be changed by man.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, which lakes?

Definitely talk to the owner(s).

There are a few private lakes in Iowa with many owners where only owners and their guests are allowed on the lake. Quite a few of the smaller public lakes/ponds limit power boaters to no wake speeds.
turbotim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not acting like a a hole I have only sailed there once and nobody was there! The lake is big. This time there were a couple boats there. and as soon as I got out of my truck a umarked truck pulled up. but the man was in uniform I figure a dnr cop! He said u cant use that thing here. And said only fishing and hunting boats are allowed, no personal water craft or sailboats are allowed. Im going to talk to the owner or mayor. Any thoughts on what I could do let me know. The other lake is 2 small so I can understand that. Something just seems unfair. I mean in both lakes you're not even allowed to jump in and take a dip. The big one is lake heidekie!
turbotim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I found another lake closer than lake Michigan with not much traffic on the way there. Wolf lake! Looks like ill have to drive an hour if I want to windsurf. And I love windsurfing so its worth the trips, but I am still trying to get a hold of the owner of that lake.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Lake Heidecke near Morris, IL the one you are talking about?
I found a DNR site which says, "Only boats for fishing or waterfowl hunting are allowed on the lake. Each must have a gasoline-powered motor as its main propulsion unit. There is no charge for launching. Water skiing, swimming, wading, sailboating or personal watercraft are not allowed."
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS/R2/Heidecke.htm

A little SE of there is Braidwood Power Generating Station near Braceville & Godley IL. It looks like there is a cooling lake there which allows boating. There is a boat launch on the south side. Does that work for you? I didn't find the name of that body of water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: