myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Lion vs Retro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to get an Ultrasonic then also get the 9.5 (I have the Lion) it is a great match for the board - so far it is my favorite combo that I own when the conditions are right. The Ultrasonic will certainly work in higher winds and smaller sails but it is awesome when the wind is enough to plane with the 9.5 but low enough that the chop is minimal.

I also use the 9.5 with my Exocet windSup 11'8" but it feels big and I prefer smaller (7.5) although this raises the wind minimum for planing obviously. I have never tried the retro but it looks like a great sail as well.

As far as rigging the lion goes - I don't follow David's video although I'm sure he knows what he's doing as he designed the sail obviously - I just run my mast through the cambers and downhaul - the only reason I can think of not to do this is that David's method bends the batten less and probably makes braking a batten less likely (not sure if it ever happens). Bottom line for me is that I rig the Lion the same way and in the same time as a camless sail.

Last edited by rangerider on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
c3m4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that helps.
Sailboarder - There are two reasons why I don't think I want a race board sail (even though they would meet my range requirements). 1) I would like a sail that I could use for a free ride or "free formula" type board if I go that route in the future and 2) The Severne 9.5 rigs on a 530 mast, while the 8.5 rigs on a 490 mast - so that kind of locks me in - with the Retro/Lion I could rig both an 8.5 and 9.5 on the same mast (not that I want two sails, but I really don't want to be boxed in). Also, I'm not looking for sub 10kt range.

Joe - thanks, your blog has been very helpful as I've been kicking around options. I have a short board too and smaller sails, but I still like the idea of doing some upwind/downwind exploring where the wind speed could change rather dramatically while you're out. Ideally i'd like to try a Phantom 320, but for now I need a cheap, old longboard. Do you feel the non-cam sails suffer in pointing ability at all?

rhorton1 - how much wind can your 9.5 Lion take, and how much do you weigh? (if you don't mind my asking)

adywind - yes, adjustable outhaul was on my list
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a wrench into your monkey, I use an Ezzy Zephyr on a Formula board and it works fine. It would be a very simple sail to use on an Ultrasonic, with good low end. It would not have the upper end range of a Lion. It probably has better low end grunt than a 7.5 Lion, but not as much as an 8.5 Lion.

It is a pretty nice light wind sail when bagged out. I have also used it to plane on my Firemove 122.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c3m4 wrote:

rhorton1 - how much wind can your 9.5 Lion take, and how much do you weigh? (if you don't mind my asking)

I actually haven't explored the upper range of the Lion yet.... I'm on extended vacation in San Diego and the wind here doesn't get above 15mph. 12-14mph is a good day here in the summer....

I'll be back in Portland come October and hope to explore the max wind on "light wind" Gorge days before old man winter sets in.

I weigh 200 lb and use the Lion exclusively on my Miatral Superlight II.

Previously, my largest sail was a Windwing 9.0 4-cam race sail. The Lion has is noticeably more powerful, and lighter physically and in feel. Also, I use an adjustable outhaul, and have found that in extreme light wind, you can use less than the minimum recommended outhaul with good success on the Lion!

I also have a early model (2009?) Ezzy Zephyr, and it works very well on a longboard. However, I can plane in 12mph with the Lion, while the wind needs to be more in the 15mph range to plane with the Zephyr (I am not an active sailor - i.e. no pumping).
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

so, yes, longboard or KONA with an 8.5 is a great ride for heavyweights in quite a large range of winds
HOWEVER, i do switch out to other boards when the winds pick up
Sailboarder does too Smile

Just to be clear, when I go to the cottage, I bring two sails. My 9.0 and a old 6.0 that takes less storage space than my wetsuit. I use the 9.0 in any conditions, and the 6.0 to mess around with the kids...
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c3m4 wrote:
Do you feel the non-cam sails suffer in pointing ability at all?

To pinch upwind, you need to flatten your sail in order to reduce it's drag. An adjustable outhaul is great for that. I don't see how camber inducers would help for that, quite the opposite in my mind.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When pinching up wind the AO trims the sail to the new apparent wind so I guess it could be considered reducing drag? When pinching close to the wind a cam sail will keep it's leading edge while an RAF sail's leading edge will start to flatten. When the leading edge flattens the COE moves forward a lot, which is why I prefer cam sails for upwind sailing as it requires less work.

Coachg
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a 1 board, 1 sail person for a long time. Love it! I spent alot of time on the Mistral one Design, then Prodigy, and now Kona. The MOD and Prodigy rigs were cammed. The Kona rig isn't. The cammed rigs handled 0-25 range better. Two extra minutes of rigging for more enjoyment during 2 hours of sailing isn't much of a sacrifice.

Very few modern sails are designed for sub-planing conditions. When racing upwind in sub-planing conditions, sails that were not designed for those conditions suffer. But you're not racing.

Cam sails have a smoother leading edge than a non-cammed sail. Non-cammed sails have a dead area immediately behind the mast, and are more prone to stalling. But, you're not racing.

On a different note, the Equipe and Ultra Cat ARE longboards. Unless the terminology has changed, hybrids are boards designed to work like longboards in sub-planing conditions and formula boards in higher wind. They have the same outline, from above, as a formula board, except they have a centerboard. The prodigy is an example.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
When the leading edge flattens the COE moves forward a lot, which is why I prefer cam sails for upwind sailing as it requires less work.
Coachg

This makes a lot of sense.

I promised myself to buy a Lion if I secured a new job by Sept 1st, which I managed. So I'll be able to compare cammed and non-cammed in the next few weeks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd get a Retro, but then I'm biased, because I have some (5.5, 6.5, 9.5). tractor like pull in marginal conditions, and they can be ridden into winds that other people would be rigging at least a meter smaller, plus
I find them much more pleasant and forgiving in transitions than cambered sails. I've ridden Ezzys , but never a lion (or any Ezzy bigger than a 5.5).

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: