myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How much have sails improved over the past 10 years?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepring

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: How much have sails improved over the past 10 years? Reply with quote

I'm considering replacing my 2005 sailworks 7.5 retro with a newer sail. I'm curious how much sails have improved over the past 10 years. Would I notice much difference in performance between this sail and something like a newish ezzy cheetah (improved low end? Better range? Etc). The retro has been an awesome sail but in the spirit of always making sure I have the best possible toys I'm just wondering whether it would be worth it or not to replace it.

Thanks!
[/quote]
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How much have sails improved over the past 10 years? Reply with quote

Then you should buy another Retro. Ezzys are nice, but Retros are very rangy, and easy to tune. You'd notice the current Retro flaps less in a
lot of wind. Still pulls like a freight train, still rides into some incredible
wind.

-Craig

joepring wrote:
I'm considering replacing my 2005 sailworks 7.5 retro with a newer sail. I'm curious how much sails have improved over the past 10 years. Would I notice much difference in performance between this sail and something like a newish ezzy cheetah (improved low end? Better range? Etc). The retro has been an awesome sail but in the spirit of always making sure I have the best possible toys I'm just wondering whether it would be worth it or not to replace it.

Thanks!
[/quote]
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some like lots of low end, others stability. decades ago, with high CE, one often felt like 2-3 sails had to be rigged and ready as the wind fluctuated.

now, it's easier to stay large. in the past 10 years? sails are now designed around application and geographical tastes. i like sails with low end power, yet can be tuned with masts and tension settings to span huge wind ranges.

sailing techniques can help with that too. getting hit by a gust, and you feel as though you've gone upwind too much? try adapting by sailing way off the wind. if one opens the angle of attack to a very open reach, well downwind of a beam reach, the apparent wind drops off dramatically. one learns this with either racing or wave sailing.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joepringle9332

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd certainly be open to another retro (I currently have 3 Smile. Step one is to determine whether there would be enough noticeable improvement to be worth it. I'm most interested in improved low end for marginal wind days.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incrementally.
Even a 2000 Sailworks can keep up with it's new 2014 brethren.
My 1997 Spectro's easily keep up with the lastest cammed freeride sails.
And my most used 1995 M-5 3 cammed Gaastra still keeps up with anything on the market today.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a new 2014 Sailworks Reto, and I must say that it is a wonderful sail. It has a much shorter boom, (3.14 inches for a 7.5), and thus a light feel in transitions even compared to my 2008 Revolutions. I can't compare the one I purchased directly with a 2005 Reto, but the 5.5 I purchased has a light but powerful feel to it, powers up smoothly, and transitions easily. Great sail, I doubt that you would be dissappointed in the upgrade.

Speed isn't everything, feel and ease of use is much appreciated, at least for me, and as far as I can tell, my 5.5 Retro can still be tuned to be a rocket ship if I care to.

Check out their website, the description of the new Retro is true in my experience.

KMF
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.14 inches is a VERY short boom for a 7.5 square meter sail!!!

I am impressed! What an aspect ratio!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna know where he got that 308-foot mast! Very Happy
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I wanna know where he got that 308-foot mast! Very Happy

Ah, I recognize that analytical compulsion. I had punched the numbers too. I see you went with a rectangle ... Did you first think triangle, almost immediately dismiss it, and then quickly move to rectangle as I did?
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember an article on new sail cloth/film that was going to make new sails a good bit lighter. Has any one charted the weight of sails of similar size over time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: