myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Almost got a speeding ticket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Almost got a speeding ticket? Reply with quote

Local lake rule is “no wake” before 10am. This is to offer peace and quiet for any fisherman and those who wish to enjoy the lake before the roar of speedboats and jet skis.

I am taking advantage of some early winds, delighted, I rig up. It’s 8:30am. Just a few fishermen and the local police boat on the water with 2 highly qualified policemen. I have the whole lake to myself. Not sure if a windsurfer has been seen on this lake in years.

I hook in, blast out across the lake, make a few runs, just screaming. I buzz near the police boat who has been watching me and stop to say hello. The fine gentleman says, ”you know it’s no wake before 10am?”

Huh?

I politely ask him, “you mean I can’t windsurf”? He backs off. With that I leave them and continue blasting across the water.

The only thing I can think of is...

A)They have never seen a windsurfer and are amazed at the speed
B)They are somehow equate speed to a wake (come on, very little).
C)They forgot sails don’t make noise
D)They were trying to be dicks, but realized they were.

I’d say A and D.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tiny lake where I sail most frequently the "no wake" sign which applies all the time is understood to apply only to motorized craft...not to sail powered craft. The water is flat enough and the lake is tiny enough my wake is often noticeable. The local DNR office and the home of one of the rangers overlooks the lake. They always wave and never say anything about my wake.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be about the (small) noise.

I spent a week at a family cottage, on a small island. The cottage is somewhat hidden by the trees, so people come close and don't realize we can hear them, sometimes even whispering while looking at loonies or ducks.

So I heard that flap-flap sound, was intrigued by it and guessed it was a windsurfer. It took me half a minute to see it, as it was at least 100 m away and obscured by the trees on the island. A Formula or similar board, in a bit more than 10 kts of wind. The sound was from the hull, nothing from the sail apart from the monofilm sound while popping the cams.

The sound was definitely more ear-catching that in-boards or large jet skis cruising off-plane. But even small outboards make more noise off-plane.

I guess the policemen were surprised by the sound, and undecided about it's level.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredrick23: D.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once i received a ticket for flipping the bird/giving the finger
"insulting a police officer"
i would have received a ticket in your shoes
cuz they would have received the finger Very Happy

when i get caught for something i did wrong (and was dangerous) - no problem
just don't be a D:

once got a ticket for turning left after 4:30
it was 4:32 - no clock in car and no watch - back then ...
that's a REAL D:
then again that was back in the day when i could not walk down the street in daylight without getting stopped Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: