myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsup wave spots in socal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Windsup wave spots in socal Reply with quote

Hi all move back from south west florida and looking for a good
Lite wind 10 to 18 wave spot to ride my sup when the wind is to lite
For short board sailing at Cabrillo. Would like to. Know if anyone sail's
Sup's south of Cabrillo, i live in Orange County and would like to find
A spot fairly close less then a hour.
Thank's Randy
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've windsurf SantaAna's at Huntington and Sunset Beach's, was fine except for the long walk to the shoreline.
Seen two guys ride Topanga with no problems, and Secos is a swell riding spot for a longboard.
C street Ventura of course.
Swami's on a Southerly.
Cardiff Reef also, just S.
Onshore wave rode Gladstones in SantaMonica.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourmaline is a bit of a drive for you, but I've sailed my SUP at San Onofre a few times, which is south OC. You'll need to head pretty far down to the Dog Patch, which is at the far south end from Old Man's - they don't allow SUPs or windsurfers on the main breaks. It rarely gets very windy, but it breaks kinda offshore so the rides can be reasonably long. It breaks better on a south. West to Northwest winds work best. Depending on your board volume, you could ride it down to 7 or 8 mph.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the info will check out San Onofre pretty close, also Huntington and Sunset should work on West to North West also. What about Seal Beach, San Clement and Doheny Beach? How is tourmaline would like to try it also is it worth the drive when it's good. Would like to hookup with some windsup sailer
Here.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourmaline looks good for this weekend. Solid swell and decent wind. Should be good for windSUP. Of course, I'll be out of town... Get there early - you'll end up waiting for parking.
D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive windsurfed Doheny and Capo Beach, but mostly in the spring.. If Doheny ever had waves and wind, it would be like San Carlos. However, It only works well on a true south swell, and the wind is pretty light in the summer. There will be waves there this weekend, and plenty of surfers. You would probably be better off SUS without the sail. (I've had issues with the lifeguards before when windsurfing at Doheny. You will have to stay in the SUS zone)

I've never windsurfed San Clememte, but have sailed San O and Church in the spring. Both of these sites rarely have wind, but can be quite good when they do. There used to be a guy who sailed Dog Patch in light wind, so there may be opportunities for SUP sailing.

I bought my first SUP with the idea that I would put a sail on it (it's a Starboard) and ride waves. I never have, perhaps I am missing something, but I am quite happy simply surfing the SUP boards. If there was large surf, it seems that a sail on a SUP would be difficult to manage.

D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surfed at Trail One today, and then went to check out Doheny. The swell was definitely starting to show there, and maybe there was enough wind to go out on an SUP windsurfer.

You might also try River Jetties in Newport today or Sunset Beach. It's looking decent for light wind wavesailing.

UncleRandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for all the info i will be checking out all the spot's i can
I when to cabrillo yesterday and short boarded the wind was up
Good day. On lite day's i will be going with a paddle and sail to
Check them out. Hope to see some of u out there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: