myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Explaining, and freeing those precious minutes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Explaining, and freeing those precious minutes Reply with quote

Not a technical discussion and likely covered to some degree before, but

I often get … “Why do you always want to go windsurfing during dinner?” or “You’re heading out now!?; don’t you know a storm is coming?” or “It’s Thursday, why can’t we lock down our museum plans this Saturday?” or “Is windsurfing more important than us?” Of course, if you are reading this forum, you know the answers to the above are: The sea breezes kick up in the late afternoon / early evening, prefrontal winds, according to iWindsurf Saturday *might* have great wind, and (I’m not going to say it), respectively.

Now, I try to explain the physics and the forecast, but I find this really doesn’t help much. Non-windsurfers really don’t quite understand (though after almost 20ys I think my wife finally does). I have found other, better ways to free the time for those precious minutes of perfect wind. Here are mine … I’d be interested to know what you use:

1) Hey, no lines no waiting at our favorite restaurant if we go for a late lunch / early dinner at 3:30pm! Let’s do that instead of going at dinner time. I really want to have time to talk with you without the noise of the crowds.
2) Storm? You know those forecasts are often wrong.
3) Hey, I just found a great exhibit that apparently is best to see on Sunday! Let’s lock that in instead, before its too late!
4) Well, of course not!
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple for me. If it's summer, all plans are flexible. I make up for it during the winter. But summer in the Gorge is awesome. You just don't mess with it...
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you guys, but maybe this will help folks who are still in the dating phase.

My wife and I both married someone who virtually never makes specific or scheduled demands of the other's time, so I don't need excuses. I do what I want, she does what she wants, and our wants coincide plenty of times. She skied, snowmobiled, desert raced, 4-wheeled, windsurfed, took Tae Kwan-do with or without me and she can "go to the museum" ... or to Ohio or Europe ... or get another graduate degree any time she wants, just as I could spend a few months at the Gorge or in Baja (which she would not enjoy beyond a week or two) when I want. In particular, neither of us would ever insist on a "command performance" by the other just because it's a Sunday or Christmas or a birthday or an anniversary; those are all artificial occurrences which can be tended to when it's convenient for both of us. We both understand that if either of us insisted, the other would comply, so it's not necessary for either of us to exercise that right just for a show of strength. That's worked since 1969, and isn't likely to change.

No accusations here, but in general, people shouldn't marry a princess (or a prince) thinking s/he's going to change AND unless that's what they want.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much less the wife (when she sees the branches bend, she knows what's next) ... It is more other family and friends.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck with them, if you're good with your wife, then you're golden.
Assuming that is, that she will stick up for you.
That's the lynch pin.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife plays tennis in the morning and I work in the morning. She works in the afternoon, I sail in the afternoon.

We hardly see each other......It's a wonderful marriage!! Laughing
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explaining dinner at 3:30pm is easy........Early Bird Special! She'll admire your frugality and may even forget the two grand you just dropped on new sails.....assuming you've told her!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
may even forget the two grand you just dropped on new sails.....assuming you've told her!

My wife encourages me to buy new sails and boards, yet I have to push to get her to replace her minivan every 8 to 10 years.

On the concept of extended family ... or the pastor ... or the boss ... or friends and neighbors ... or society .... or the draft board ... or the Air Force ... (all of whom have tried) ... managing our lives to varying degrees ...

I had great in-laws, partly because never once did they even mention grandkids. The one time my MIL pushed us to come home (1,500 miles away) more often, it was my wife who explained that, "Mom, I AM home."

The only relative we actively, cognitively, deliberately CHOOSE in life is our spouse. We thus owe them a unique level of respect and dedication, IMO, exceeded only by our obligation to kids we bring into the world ... and even then only until the latter are old enough to go it alone.

Back to the original question ... when my sports changed from schedulable (even snow skiing, to a degree) to totally weather-dependent, it took my wife a while to appreciate the difference. She has never since begrudged me a minute of wind. Why would she, given the OBVIOUS transformation in my demeanor before and after a good day of wind?
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wife allowing you to leave any time you want is easily understood by the forum members.
justall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by justall on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: