myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the tourist stuff -- I thoroughly enjoyed the catamaran ride for snorkeling at Molokini, the dawn bike ride down Halaekala, etc, -- in the morning before the wind starts, then sail, then catch an early bird restaurant meal, then crash; you'll be ready for it, especially after and before getting up early every morning to do the tourist stuff. Don't forget that even when it's not windy when it should be at your place, Kihei is often blowing very well. It has saved MANY of my days there. We even got all dressed up (even put on a shirt and some footwear) and went to some 5 star hotel restaurant in south Kihei for a fancy and expensive meal. Fugheddaboutit. Hell, Mama's Fish House had better food, and that's not saying much. The best meals I ever found on Maui were consistently at Haliimaile General Store in Makawao up the hill from Paia; huge and widely varied menu, incredible food.
MCDORO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout out for Simmer in Paia. They are out of the way but give you enough so that you don't have to be going back and forth. Besides, the have Thommen boards. Second the Paia Fish market/Haliimaile General Store....but also, go to Mama's for lunch....It's worth it, and you can sail later in the day for a change.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
Hey Sasussman, I'm jealous, even though I just spent three weeks on Maui June/July period. My advice for rentals would be Hawaiian Island Surf and Sports. It's the first shop you'll see as you exit the airport on Dairy Road. They offer a good selection of gear, very close to Kanaha, fast gear swaps, a great staff, and they offer insurance, not a bad idea for Maui first-timers. Call ahead and they'll hook you up with a discount. Also, if you want a neat sailing souvenir, Dan from Fully Wound Productions, the guy who posted the Maui race footage, will sail with you for a couple hours and video your exploits, very reasonable priced.
The guys have given you some pretty good sailing advice. I'd add that when Kanaha and the Northshore wind starts kicking a little too North, usually in the mid- afternoon, the South shore starts to fire up. Takes about twenty minutes to drive across the island to Kihei, here you'll find some good sailing out in front of the Maui Sunset or at the Pavillion. Can be a bit gusty, but the smooth swells outside make for some epic sessions. Also, stick around for the most amazing sunsets in the islands, Nature's liightshow every evening. Bring some clothes, boardshorts and tshirt will do, and do some Happy Hours at Threes, Kahalie Beach Club, Life's a Beach,Tiki Lounge, and Mulligan's on the Blue [try the corned beef tacos, YEEHAW!!!]. if you're around Wailea later on in the evening, hungry and thirsty,Longhi's at the Shops at Wailea has a great Late Night Happy Hour starting at 10PM. Other touristy activities on the South side include Lahaina, with miles of beginner friendly surf-beaches on the way, Kapalua, with a great, reasonably priced restaurant,The Plantation House, at the country club with awesome views from the dining room , great snorkeling at Hanolua Bay, and other fun stuff.
On the North side, great windsurfing, but also take a day to be a tourist. Everyone does the Hana Road, start real early 'cause there's lots of cool hiking, swimming, and sightseeing to do along the way. One tourist attraction worth checking out is just before you get to Hana, you'll see a sign on the left side of the road directing you to The Blue Lava Tube. It's definitely worth the time. Also, if you're careful to avoid chuckholes, ignore the car rental advisory and continue on the road beyond Hana out to through the lava fields of Mt Haleakala. Remote beaches, awesome scenery, cool adventure. The road finishes Upcountry, and you can follow it around to the Haleakala Highway, or go a little further to Makawao and take Baldwin Ave, the maindrag, back down to Paia. Of course, take a drive up Haleakala for sunrise or sunset, it's an incredible experience well worth the effort.
While on Maui, do not miss the opportunity to check out local music. Happy Hours all around the island feature local talent every day with great food and beverage specials. However, the the artist not miss is Willie K. This guy will blow your mind every time you see him. His set list can include traditional Hawaiian music, blues, Cab Calloway, Hendrix, country, Italian opera, all in one performance! He plays a dinner show Wednesdays at Mulligan's on the Blue in Wailea, Fridays at Kimo's in Lahaina, but the best is his dance party show at Cassanova's in Makawao Tuesday nights. A friendly locals crowd, good food and drink, a rockin' dance floor.... you'll join the Maui Tribe for sure!
So there you go! Hopefully I've given you a few ideas. Or, you can toss all this, grab a tasty Mai Tai and veg by the pool after sailing your ass off! Either way, you'll have a great time... still jealous, aloha, Bull
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught Wille K at Casanova. Played straight ahead Rock and Roll mostly. Santana covers too. Best music in Maui but his Mom said his health is failing.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing out of the cove sb no problem. However, u r a little isolated from the social scene at Kanaha. September could potentially be the start of our groundswell so it's recommended to have a good chicken jibe.

Franks friendly cars has wagons but no vans. Martin in Kihei has decent vans at a good price. Otherwise the costco route someone mentioned is next best thing.

Second wind would be my first choice for rental gear. Kevin is fair and has great gear. Convenient location

Food in Paia is good at Mambos, Flatbread, Fish Market, and Mana's for groceries. Also The Dunes on the golf course in Kahului is fun and the Makawao Steakhouse - eat at the bar area. Also Wholefoods on Wednesday discounts their food bar by 2 bucks and the have 2 slices of pizza for price of one between 4-6 each day.

No worries on the homeless peeps. They won't bother u and many of them just like to camp at Old Mans where the kiters launch. Many of us leave our cars open at the upper parking lot. Windsurf gear isn't worth much compared to SUPs and surfboards. Just be observant especially if u go hiking or to Makena. Highly visited tourist spots have more issues than our windsurf spots.

No one will bother the girlfriends. There are very fit and attractive women at both the windsurf and kite launch sites. I'm sure they will fit right in.

And if u can catch a Willie K show he is incredible. He plays on Tuesdays up at Casanovas (don't eat there the food sucks) in Makawao or Kimos in Lahaina I think on Fridays and they have great food and ocean views. He also plays at Mulligans on the Golf Course on Wednesdays.
katiedog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well covered,although some of the drives suggested are a bit long for me.Give Wailuku a visit ,Ioa Valley etc.Consider Maui Friday nights /events in Wailuku and Makawao . There are many yoga places in Paia for the women if they are inclined .DO the downwinder from sugercove to Kanaha over and over and over...if you have someone to pick you up. Thumbs up for Matt and Kevin both for gear.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katiedog wrote:
some of the drives suggested are a bit long for me.

I gotta chuckle at that one, given the 170-200 mile drive each way we had just for an afternoon of WSing the last place I lived.
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
katiedog wrote:
some of the drives suggested are a bit long for me.

I gotta chuckle at that one, given the 170-200 mile drive each way we had just for an afternoon of WSing the last place I lived.

Mr. Isobars:
you are a very dedicated windsurfer! I hope the conditions were good when you got there
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total crapshoot; we had to drive based on forecasts. At least on Maui, the sailing spots are close enough that one can wait until it's blowing to pick a site without missing much sailing. The only side trip that mandated a commitment interfering with sailing was the drive around Hana. Even a trip to Kaanapali for its many attractions (e.g., shopping, snorkeling, beauty, and/or heat if the windward side isn't hot enough for ya) could be aborted without missing out altogether if a forecast favorable to driving gave way to sailable wind.

That's one of Maui's many strong points; a little bit of planning and the eagerness to get up in the morning to fit it all in can cram in a huge amount and variety of entertainment for the entire family without sacrificing shred time to the Borg. It's usually easy to do at least four very different fun activities each day if one actively pursues them rather than waiting for them to occur spontaneously. Do your homework before you go, make and prioritize a list of things to do, make reservations if necessary (e.g., Molokini catamaran, Haleakala dawn bike ride, maybe a Jeep rental for the drive around Hana (or it that paved by now?), and always leave the noon-5 PM wind window open in your schedule.

Oh, yes ... another tip. Leave most of the crap you think you need home. I take a harness, helmet, booties (for reefs), sandals or flip flops and a few T shirts for dress occasions, board shorts, a toothbrush, a thick book for airport delays, and not much else. Schlepping a ton of crap out there makes little sense to me; they have Walmart and Costco in case I forget something. If ya can afford the trip, ya can afford to buy a fan, a cooler, and the camera batteries ya left home. K.I.S.S. This isn't Mount Everest; packing should take 10 minutes, not 10 hours, and nobody cares whether your "outfit" -- your wristwatch, cap, and board shorts -- matches.

I also tan up thoroughly before I go. The next-to-the-LAST two things I want in that heat are a sunburn and a coat of greasy lotion.

The LAST thing is air conditioning. I won't even TRY to do without that. I swear the people who say Maui cools down at night must live outdoors in Houston. Sad
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

The LAST thing is air conditioning. I won't even TRY to do without that. I swear the people who say Maui cools down at night must live outdoors in Houston. Sad

I disagree with 2 things in your post:
1) the line above. Remember, Haleakala is 10,000 ft tall. If you live down on the ocean, AC is nice, but even then not necessary if you have good air flow through your place. I recently had the good fortune to house sit at a ocean front Makena house-a shack sitting on land that is being sold for $5 mill. It had only screened windows and an overhead fan, and was fine at night. And if you live at a reasonable elevation (I live at 1000 ft) it is quite nice at night. If you go higher, like up to Kula, many people use heat of some kind at night.
2) booties: if you sail without booties at home, you don't need them here, as long as you are careful when you fall over a reef to waterstart without kicking down. The only time I wear booties is if I'm scuba diving and have to walk over rocks to get into the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: