myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish Indy 7.6 2014 report and questions :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Naish Indy 7.6 2014 report and questions :-) Reply with quote

Hello!

Would like to share some experience with twin-cam Naish Indy 7.6 2014 I recently got to replace my old cammed Worldsails Blast 7.5 2001.

Already tested it on water several times both in planing and light wind conditions using 130 L board (I’m 145 pounds). What a treat! It is indeed very well balanced and very easy to play with. On the beach it feels a bit heavier than Blast, but on the water it is like a feather. Yesterday I nailed a few non-planing “upwind 360s”, which I could not quite get with Blast before. Heli-tacks, sailing back-winded etc are all very easy. The cams rotate very freely adding ease to maneuverability.
In planning conditions it nicely picks up speed, handles short gusts (lake conditions) and slides through the lulls. I’m still working on my jibes so cannot exactly say how the sail jibes.

Excitements aside there is one thing which is somewhat troublesome. It were not, if Naish provided explicit rigging/derigging instructions for this sail. It came with nothing. Though, thumbs up for the dealer I got the sail from and Pacific Board Sports, they were very helpful through e-mails to provide pointers. I could not get it rigged without their help. Need to say, that the video http://vimeo.com/66189267 is not only useless but also misleading for rigging a 2014 Indy (maybe it works for the previous years models).

As of rigging, despite it sails well, I think something is still not completely in tune. Maybe you, guys could help me with some advice.

So, this is how I rig Indy using recommended Naish 460/90 mast:

1.) Insert mast into the sleeve over the cams.
2.) Insert Chinook extension (set to recommended 12 cm).
3.) Apply almost max downhaul to make mast show up in the boom cutout. I ease the downhaul later, but need tension at this point to be able to attach the boom. Otherwise it is difficult to do.
4.) Attach the boom. I use carbon Fiberspar Posigrip.
5.) Apply max outhaul.
6.) Release downhaul.
7.) Pop the bottom cam on the mast. If I pop the top cam next it doesn't stay on the mast.
8.) Apply a bit more downhaul.
9.) Now the top cam pops on the mast and stays there.
10.) Apply full downhaul. Here, I'm not sure how much to apply. I get it to the level when leech looseness propagates down to the third batten.
11.) Apply outhaul. While the spec calls for 197 I have to set boom to 198 or even 200 to apply neutral or slightly positive outhaul. It could be because Fiberspar boom measurements are slightly different from Naish booms.
12.) For the first time I did carefully adjust batten tension to just eliminate wrinkles along them. But still see diagonal wrinkles on the second (from the bottom) panel. The luff also has one long wrinkle pretty much along the entire length of the sleeve (except the area of the bottom cam).

One of the mid panels also has a few slight wave-like wrinkles in the middle of the panel (these wrinkles are perpendicular to the battens). I'm reluctant to tension the battens more to get rid of these wrinkles.

Does anything ring the bell about what I might be doing incorrectly?

Thank you!

Andrei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: