myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Outer skin of board scraped off - need to repair?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Outer skin of board scraped off - need to repair? Reply with quote

There are a few small spots on my board (bought used) where the outer skin/paint (whatever that outermost layer is) is scraped off. Is this a necessary repair? Can water leak in this way? I am hesitant to repair the spots on the bottom if I don't have to - will be tough to keep the bottom smooth if I put anything over these spots (I'm not exactly an artist with epoxy). I'm assuming the interior structure itself (not damaged) is waterproof, but someone here probably knows better than I do...
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to answer your ? without knowing the board. ABS plastic/fiberglass with epoxy or polyester .....each material will take a different matrix for the repair. Find the right combo mix and paste it on,start sanding it will get smooth.
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an 85 liter Angulo Chango, 2007-ish
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is check for any signs of leaking. Put your board in the sun, and apply a bubble solution like kids use for blowing bubbles to the damaged area. If the board is omitting air, lots of bubbles will develop around the problem area. No reaction, you're good to go.

However, if there's a problem, you need to remove the the extent of damage and repair the total area. Just putting epoxy over the damaged area won't last. If a repair is needed, it's best to visit The Boardlady's website. Eva provides a wealth of advice and photos to address almost any problem.
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will try that. Here is a pic of what I was talking about...doesn't look very significant but who knows...

20140802_184111.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.51 KB
 Viewed:  11875 Time(s)

20140802_184111.jpg

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like simple paint chipping. Do the bubble test.....If neg. bubbles, I'd just sail it.It's hard to paint match sometimes.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a structural spot, nor very deep. if you feel like doing something, sand it smooth. apply some epoxy putty, sand it smooth again. don't worry over the minor visual flaws. chasing down the paint is not going to retain any resale value in this mkt anyway.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like others said it doesn't really need to be fixed. But if you don't want it to get bigger...a drop of CA (not going to spell CA...but it's crazy glue) will do the trick.

if you want to repair and paint with a close match white.... a small dab of marinetex (already white)...and sands very easy. I really doubt you have any water issues.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip off any loose paint in the area with a flat screwdriver or utility knife, bevel the edge of the chip using a sanding drum on a dremel tool or 80 grit sand paper, scuff the exposed fiberglass using 80 to 150 grit paper, wipe the area clean using acetone on a rag, mask off around the chip, mix up a batch of marine tex putty and work it into the chip using a plastic squeege. After the marine tex dries, come back and sand the repair flush starting with 150 paper and working up to 600 grit wet paper.

sm
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: