myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Favorite Beach Chair, and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Favorite Beach Chair, and why? Reply with quote

pretty sure this forum must have some of the more vocal beach chair enthusiasts (we all have to wait for, or recover from, wind every now and then...)

I've been using a low budget walmart one but I just recently got the REI comfort low chair http://www.rei.com/product/828506/rei-comfort-low-armchair (haven't even taken it out of the box yet) but I'd love to hear some beach chair opinions! I can still return it!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLB Adirondack chair.

But it only works for those with a house on the beach.
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the brand is, but mine has backpack straps, a Velcroed pillow, a small cooler pouch and a cup holder.
ramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it attach to your sailboard?
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're old like me (59) you'll get tired of crawling up out of a low chair. My wife got us a couple of regular height folding chairs, really nice, take a little more room but not much. Ours have side pockets & adjustable backs. I believe they're "Rio" brand, but don't know where she got them.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Beach Chair, and why? Reply with quote

bse wrote:
I'd love to hear some beach chair opinions!

OK.
My opinion is that if I removed my harness and body armor and sat down in a comfortable chair, I'd stay there despite good wind like I see most people do much of the day. I already see scores of people welded to their chairs several hours before the wind or daylight quit, often missing out on the best wind and swell of the entire day ... maybe even the whole season. I figger a lawn chair is one short step from the walker I used after my knee surgery. Very Happy

Maybe when I get older I'll HAVE to do that, but until then I'll just keep moving and stay dressed for sailing so inertia doesn't interfere with shred time. Lately I spend too much time on shore cherry picking good wind and swell anyway, so another distraction and I might just as well buy a jet ski or Lazy Boy and sit ALL the time.

Besides, there's always an empty lawn chair sitting around if I get engaged in a conversation and want to sit for a few minutes until the wind resumes. Smile
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never lose it, I never forget it and it never blows away.

beach chair.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.19 KB
 Viewed:  14717 Time(s)

beach chair.jpg

justall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I paid less than this, but I love this chair: http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Aluminum-Backpack-Storage-Pocket/dp/B00IPAMOXI

I bought many for friends and family, too. Why? Well, the aluminum chair is lightweight. It has adjustable straps so you can carry it on your back allowing both hands to remain free for carrying more important stuff. It has a big pocket with clasps in the back for your towel, Aerobie, and wind meter. It is very comfortable with an attached and adjustable head pillow. It has a cup holder for "sodas". It has cool-to-the-touch wood arm rests. It allows you to sit up or recline. I think it is a very excellently designed chair, imho.

(There is a steel version which I have seen and used ... But the steel version is heavier and can rust, so I highly reccomend the aluminum version if you can get one)
bse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Beach Chair, and why? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Maybe when I get older I'll HAVE to do that, but until then I'll just keep moving and stay dressed for sailing so inertia doesn't interfere with shred time. )

My dad always said he'd pick up golf in his old age, right up until he died in his eighties.

I like your sentiment, but sometimes if I'm not sitting at the beach waiting for the wind to blow, i'll miss it... just the place i live and the conditions I have to deal with! here in the midwest it will be calm all day, then blow at 30mph for 30-40 minutes, then quit again. I assure you i'm not waiting for better wind, just wind.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Beach Chair, and why? Reply with quote

bse wrote:
My dad always said he'd pick up golf in his old age, right up until he died in his eighties.

I like your sentiment, but sometimes if I'm not sitting at the beach waiting for the wind to blow, i'll miss it... just the place i live and the conditions I have to deal with! here in the midwest it will be calm all day, then blow at 30mph for 30-40 minutes, then quit again. I assure you i'm not waiting for better wind, just wind.

My personal sentiments on golf, too; all of the frustration, none of the exercise of actual SPORTS.

I hear you on the wind waiting. That's also NM in midsummer, when the only source of wind is thunderstorms. WSers used to line the shores by the scores early Saturday AM and sit there all day in case something stirred. Fortunately, we could get 2-4 hours of strong, steady wind from T-storms in our eastern plains well over a hundred miles away. Unfortunately, closer ones often messed up those winds and added incredible fireworks, including lightning at the lake to the tune of multiple strikes per minute with some drive-bys. It made sailing dicey on three counts: instantaneous shifts in wind speed and direction plus the Russian roulette factor. I was safer sailing than were the guys (aka grounding rods) leaning against their Winnebago lightning targets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: