myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is a carbon boom worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after an alu boom that looked perfectly fine exploded from inside out corrosion, fortunately on the inside jibe and not the outside, i've never gone back. i'm not otherwise hard on equipment, only matters if you're sailing salt water.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
C. But I hear the new chinook ones are even better Shocked .

johnl, the chinook pro 1 carbon booms are incredible. all monocoque, so new screws through the tubes. the head of the pro-1 booms in unbelievable also. very low clamping force, yet they never, ever slip and the rdm adapter is built-in. a truly great boom (imo).
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the gap has closed between the two because of tech changes, while the carbon price has gone up. It doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Most comments against carbon, like Chandler, are referring to two piece alum booms ,or booms from 1991. Lol.
The Pro ones and other one piece alum booms from Aeron under different labels have closed the gap on stiffness and are not reporting corrosion problems.
The tech on carbon has not moved along like it has with monocoque alum.
We keep our sails rigged year round and do not rinse salt water off them .
Not one has given us trouble in years of this usage with modern monocoque alum.
We went to this after our North and later Fiberspar carbon booms snapped mid arm.

The OP ask for comparisons between mono alu and modern carbon. Most folks responding are telling us about antique boom designs.

A renter who was sure that carbon is much better took the HPL alu boom because it looked different from the alu Chinook ones.
He thought the HPL was carbon.

We let him rave for a week about the huge difference he felt from the alu booms he was forced to take when the HPL was in use.

I find this often among those who are sure there is a big difference in feel with carbon. You just need to think the boom is carbon to get the same improvement in feel on small. Sails.

If you sail gear under 6.0 you should think of things that carbon money can buy, like a ticket to Maui or a ABK clinic. Those things can make a real difference in your sailing.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your inputs.

Largest sail I have is a 5.8 and spend the majority of the time bump & jump and in waves.

Still on the fence; I may try to borrow a carbon boom. Its probably the only way to really know if its right for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea. Try, though, not to let a great or lousy session distort your evaluation.
norcom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 170-230 carbon Maui Sails boom for $525 form these guys. http://www.nbwindsurfing.com/2011-Maui-Sails-Carbon-Boom_p_297.html That's where I bought mine from.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcom wrote:
You can get a 170-230 carbon Maui Sails boom for $525 form these guys. http://www.nbwindsurfing.com/2011-Maui-Sails-Carbon-Boom_p_297.html That's where I bought mine from.

Great boom! Compared it to my Pro1 Alloy 165-227? and Pro1 Carbon 160-226 and preferred the Maui. Used them on a 5.4 and 6.6 slalom sail (62kg).
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

Great boom! Compared it to my Pro1 Alloy 165-227? and Pro1 Carbon 160-226 and preferred the Maui. Used them on a 5.4 and 6.6 slalom sail (62kg).

ok, I am now going to be THAT guy! True story, though. My first carbon booms were branded "tough light". They were neither. One of them broke while sailing, another one was cracked. And, they were pretty darn heavy.

So, I decided I would go monocoque for my next booms. I picked up a Maui Sails carbon boom about a month before the new Chinook Pro 1 carbon and alu booms were introduced. Man, I could never really get used to the Maui Sails boom, for whatever reason. Plus, the separate RDM adapter (that I had to pay extra for) was a PITA to me. Also, the Chinook carbon booms (for the same size) are a fair bit lighter than the MS booms.

When the new Chinooks came out, I tried one and went all in. I have a Pro 1 alu in the smallest size, and two larger carbon ones. As I stated above, awesome.

So, other than monocoque construction, it's personal preference.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
KevinDo wrote:

ok, I am now going to be THAT guy! True story, though. My first carbon booms were branded "tough light". They were neither. One of them broke while sailing, another one was cracked. And, they were pretty darn heavy.

So, I decided I would go monocoque for my next booms. I picked up a Maui Sails carbon boom about a month before the new Chinook Pro 1 carbon and alu booms were introduced. Man, I could never really get used to the Maui Sails boom, for whatever reason. Plus, the separate RDM adapter (that I had to pay extra for) was a PITA to me. Also, the Chinook carbon booms (for the same size) are a fair bit lighter than the MS booms.

When the new Chinooks came out, I tried one and went all in. I have a Pro 1 alu in the smallest size, and two larger carbon ones. As I stated above, awesome.

So, other than monocoque construction, it's personal preference.

Fine fine I'll be the OTHER GUY! lol jk

Yea defintely preference though. I tend to sail overpowered alot. using 1 to 2 sizes up compared to guys 20-40lbs heavier than me. With my Koncepts, I find the pro 1 to flex a bit too much for my liking. If I were to use smaller sizes in the same conditions, the pro 1 is to my liking. Regarding the shim, I always found the chinook one to be a pita. I always had to use some "force" to get a rdm into the shim. After getting it in I always had a hard time adjusting boom height as the shim was tight (which is good and bad in ways lol). On the other hand, while the Maui was a little bit more expensive, it came with an trim set which could save me 60-80 bucks if I bought the pro1.

Overall, they are both pretty good booms and you can't go wrong with either. If you aren't sailing overpowered, I would say the alloy Pro1 with minimal extension should do you well.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The tech on carbon has not moved along like it has with monocoque alum."

Maybe you missed the fact that most quality carbon booms these days are monocoque too. And, if I remember correctly, monocoque booms were first manufactured in carbon. The Maui Sails carbon boom I bought in early 2007 is still rock solid, and I have to say that mine came with the shim at no extra cost.

As I pointed out earlier, aluminum has been a repeated problem for me. Even after my abandonment of aluminum booms in early 1992, the Gulftechs (made in Corpus Christi, TX) that I relied on for the next 10 years had the aluminum tubing inside the bonded-on front ends. As a result, it was the weak link in an otherwise great design. It's a fact, aluminum corrodes over time. Add in that aluminum is subject to fatigue from stress, so its dependability factor takes a hit. There's no question about it, carbon provides a stiffer structure overall that isn't readily subject to corrosion and fatigue.

That said, I will say that a monocoque design has greatly improved the potential life and stiffness of aluminum booms. There is less likelihood of water getting inside the front boom arms, but you still can't escape the fact that aluminum is subject to stress fatigue. Also, it should be noted that monocoque aluminum boom significantly edged up the price, so that they can be almost one half the price of carbon booms.

The way that I see it, you get what you pay for. If you have a history of being easy on booms, you can potentially find aluminum booms to be a great value. However, given the fact that we ultimately have to live with our decisions and the consequences, I'll happily pony up for what is arguably a better product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: