myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Upgrade from an old Formula board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Upgrade from an old Formula board Reply with quote

I have one of Starboard's first year Formula boards.

I am thinking of upgrading to a light wind free ride board, such as the Supersonic or JP Lightwind.

would there be a benefit?

Does anyone else ride a light wind slalom board?
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 85 cm wide 2013 Fanatic Falcon 142 light wind Slalom board. The Falcon replaced a 2005 AHD GTS that was 86 cm wide & 160 liters. The GTS was closer in dimensions to your formula board which I have sailed as well.

Depending on your ability you will gain speed for sure & potentially speed through jibes as well as tighter jibes. A newer slalom board will get on a plane earlier but not as smoothly as the older, longer board. A new slalom board will feel squirrelly until you get used to it.

For general BAF you may not notice a big difference, but if pushing your board to its limits I think you will feel a big difference in a modern light wind slalom board vs. your old formula board.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are you looking for?
Early planing? Upwind? Downwind? Reaching? Jibing. Keeping up with rec sailors on slalom boards?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
What exactly are you looking for?
Early planing? Upwind? Downwind? Reaching? Jibing. Keeping up with rec sailors on slalom boards?

Early planing. Something to sail at 6:00 PM after work when the other guys are packing in their small stuff and the wind has died off a bit.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What winds and what's your weight, where do you sail and how often do you need to slog home?
Hard to give any answer without knowing a bit about you and your conditions.
And, what Formula board did you have? NOT FreeFormula I hope, as it's not a Formula board except to novices in windsurfing.
And what's your skill and pumping level?
I find, I can plane up in 15 mph winds with a 6.0 sail on my 11.5 lbs JPProSlalom 84, at 55 wide, as early as any of my Mike'sLabCourseSlalom boards, which weigh between 14-16 lbs..
With a 6 meter sail, I can plane up sooner with that JP than I can with a Starboard Formula 162.
It won't stay on a plane, of course, but I can pump it up to a plane the best with the lightest board.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
What winds and what's your weight, where do you sail and how often do you need to slog home?
Hard to give any answer without knowing a bit about you and your conditions.
And, what Formula board did you have? NOT FreeFormula I hope, as it's not a Formula board except to novices in windsurfing.
And what's your skill and pumping level?
I find, I can plane up in 15 mph winds with a 6.0 sail on my 11.5 lbs JPProSlalom 84, at 55 wide, as early as any of my Mike'sLabCourseSlalom boards, which weigh between 14-16 lbs..
With a 6 meter sail, I can plane up sooner with that JP than I can with a Starboard Formula 162.
It won't stay on a plane, of course, but I can pump it up to a plane the best with the lightest board.

I weigh 210. My planing style would be rather passive - when the wind increases enough, I sit back in my seat harness, try to scoot the board out flat while I sheet in, and get back on the board. If there is enough wind, I am planing and then I quickly get in the straps.

I have tried pumping, but it only works when there is enough wind. Yes, I am a bit out of shape and over 60. I've been windsurfing for a long time, but I am surely not as athletic as when I first started 30 years ago.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light wind slaloms jibe much easier than Formula, due to lighter weight, but more so from thinner rails and curvier outlines.
Max sail sizing would be limited to 10's, but that's OK, big enough for late afternoon after work sailing.
Fin sizing in the mid 50's as opposed to mid 60's, so you have to work harde to get onto a plane than a bigger board.
Modern Formula's are around 162 in volume, straight outlines, super short, and vary greatly depends on who designed them and what winds they are designed for. Starboard makes 3 different Formula boards, the wider tailed and the narrower tailed versions for lightest winds to medium wind handling.
Stand and allow the wind to pull you onto a plane types generally prefer a bigger board, fin. sail setup than active windsurfers who like to pump and ooch onto a plane.
Have you looked at new Formula boards, like the JP's, Exocets, Starboards?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Light wind slaloms jibe much easier than Formula, due to lighter weight, but more so from thinner rails and curvier outlines.
Max sail sizing would be limited to 10's, but that's OK, big enough for late afternoon after work sailing.
Fin sizing in the mid 50's as opposed to mid 60's, so you have to work harde to get onto a plane than a bigger board.
Modern Formula's are around 162 in volume, straight outlines, super short, and vary greatly depends on who designed them and what winds they are designed for. Starboard makes 3 different Formula boards, the wider tailed and the narrower tailed versions for lightest winds to medium wind handling.
Stand and allow the wind to pull you onto a plane types generally prefer a bigger board, fin. sail setup than active windsurfers who like to pump and ooch onto a plane.
Have you looked at new Formula boards, like the JP's, Exocets, Starboards?

I am thinking that the new Formula boards are too extreme. Also, I think that an 8.5 m sail would be the biggest sail I would own. I have a Neil Pryde V8 8.5 with three cams; when it dies, I will probably replace it with a Lion 8.5.

I would be looking at something more along the lines of UltraSonic or the JP Super Lightwind - not a full on Formula board, but something easy to ride in marginal conditions.
rangerider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Ultrasonic 147. Awesome / light / fast / durable (so far - I crashed it into my dock a few weeks ago and only put a little blem in the paint, but I digress). The Starboard recommended sail range is up to 12.0 on it but I think it would work well up to 11.0. I have used it with Lion 9.5 - perfect, Lion 7.5 - good but wishing the board was smaller, 6.4 no cam - terrible. I have a select S1 57cm and a makani 48cm weed fin for it. At your weight you should get a Lion 9.5 to go with it, if I was going to pair a board with a Lion 8.5 as the biggest sail I would go with the next size down isonic which would be great as well. I really want to try a full-race 11.0 with 100 carbon mast and see how fast I can go in light wind. The board flies
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned on another thread that lots of Formula racer's are trying much smaller sails, with immediate success in angles upwind, a little slower downwind, but much easier handling.
Where they used to use 9 meters sails, mid 7's is the norm, especiallyl for 155 lbs riders.
Some are using cammed 6.5's with very good success for rec sailing, but not for racing.
The guy who wins every CalCup he participates in here used a 7.9 sail on his Starboard Formula Wide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: