myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Recommendations please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
You've already stated that you have limited funds. If you get a smaller board, there's a good chance that you may end up following in the footsteps of those windsurfers before you. If you spend that $$ on a board that suits your normal wind conditions, like a Kona, you're probably more likely to stick with the sport.

I totally hear what you're saying... and I'm certainly not targeting boards that are *too* small, if only for that fact that I still have to be able to uphaul it (for now anyway) It really seems like we do best in the spring, OK in the fall and so far Late July/August look like they suck. It helps that I'm willing to throw on a wetsuit and be out there when the wind is good. (and that my house is only 1/4 mile from a decent lake and I have flexible work hours) I do see a lot of smaller boards (90-110) going for sale on craigslist, and I generally dismiss them pretty quickly as not being appropriate. Anything smaller than 115L is pretty much off the table.

Based on the advice here, i'm going to target something wide in the 130L-140L range... the trend towards 'freemove' boards seems to suit me. They seem like about as good a compromise as I can get. Of course as I said, it's a bit on the pricey side for me, but that's probably the ideal that i'm looking for, now just to find a decent price on something! The Xcites that isobar pointed out look reasonable, though the 77cm to 73cm drop as one goes from 145L to 135L seems kinda skinny against the ideal.

Probably time to put this thread to sleep, but if anyone has other boards that I should be looking at, let me know

The boards I've seen so far that fit the bill:
Fanatic Gecko 135 (83cm width)
JP magic ride 132 (84cm width)
RRD Firemove 130 or 140 (85/90cm width)
Exocet X-cross 130 (82cm)
Tabou speedster 138L (85cm)

they're all-round boards that would suit my needs for a wide range of days, my current sails bookend the range, and they all plane early due to the width (who doesn't like a nice early plane?!)

Now i just have to figure out how to justify the expense to myself.

Thanks to all!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw a curve ball at you.

How about replacing the Viper with a used Formula board or a light wind board like an Ultrasonic or JP Super Lightwind? Last week I was out in the low teens planing around on my old Formula board (84 cm wide) with a 7.5 Ezzy Zephyr. I also use that board with an old Neil Pryde V8 8.5. It goes upwind just fine if it is planing.

If you can find something like that, you will be planing in the marginal winds with your 9.5. Then after that, your next purchase is a board that you would use from 15 to 25 mph or maybe 30. That board for me is a Firemove 122.

Lake Erie sailor; sail quiver 8.5, 7.5, 6.5 and now, 5.5.

If you keep your Viper, then you need to assess what combo is you next size down. IF going all the way to 6.5, then a freemove board of about 75 - 78 cm wide is plenty big enough for your weight, and will give you a lot of range. Heck, even at my 210 lbs, I can uphaul the Firemove 122 with a 7.5; I have also sailed 5.5 on it. The Gecko gets marks as an easy board to gybe, as well.

I think that a larger board, like a Shark in the 150 size, would be nice in the short run to work on jibes and waterstarts; but you seem athletic and driven, so something smaller would give much more "growing room."
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bse wrote:
Now i just have to figure out how to justify the expense to myself.

I did that in two ways and two phases.
Chronologically first were dirt bikes. I "justified" at least one each year for 15 years because:
1. They seldom needed major repairs in their first year despite my riding them hard 3-6 days a week. In their second year they needed work.
2. I got them at good discounts by buying so many and buying them in their shipping crates; no dealer setup.
3. I detailed and tuned them to perfection before selling them to get top dollar ... at least 50% more than my buds did.
4. As my skills improved, so did my needs.
5. If a bike had any problems, I pointed them out and estimated their impact on the buyer.
6. I scrimped elsewhere, but not on my toys. I've combed the alley behind Walmart before riding a bike for a second year, and any piece of WSing gear I really covet, from a fin to a motor home, I buy.
7. I have an extremely understanding wife.

Much of the same applies to some degree to WSing gear. Buy it lightly used or as closeouts, take care of it, detail it before selling, always be honest when asked, "Why are you selling it?", prioritize your expenses, and marry the right spouse.

That was during our wealth-building phase, when justification was necessary. Once we both retired, proved we could live on our savings and pensions, and admitted that we would not live forever, justification gave way to spending our survivors' inheritances. At that point, for example, the food we never buy at movies bought at least a new Winnebago, maybe even the house to park it in front of. Priorities!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: