myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Rescue at Rufus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beverly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Another Rescue at Rufus Reply with quote

Just another typical 4.2 Rufus Day. Good sailing, decent swell, fun. I was down by the John Day Dam, closer to Washington than Oregon. Fell off the back of my board, on a normal sized swell, just like many other times. But somehow, today was different. I could not catch up to my board. Kiter Steve from Utah rescued me by dragging me to shore, entertaining me all the way with a wicked sense of humor. There were lots of folks searching for me, among them kiter Laura. After reaching shore safe and sound, the next task was to find my gear. Thanks to those at the Wall who spotted it and helped in the recovery effort. Thank you to everyone involved. Kiters and windsurfers. Let's continue to keep an eye out for one another. Marc and Lynn PS. Thanks for the 1:1 private kiting lesson, Steve!!
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your bad luck!
Just curious - are you a strong swimmer or wearing a PFD while sailing? It may be seriously slowing your swim speed...
Remember, if you are a decent swimmer - you should be able to catch up to your rig with a little effort. Eventually that sail acts like a big anchor and really slows the drift of your rig down...
Best of luck next time!
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WndsrfInvstr wrote:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!
Just curious - are you a strong swimmer or wearing a PFD while sailing? It may be seriously slowing your swim speed...
Remember, if you are a decent swimmer - you should be able to catch up to your rig with a little effort. Eventually that sail acts like a big anchor and really slows the drift of your rig down...
Best of luck next time!

Hmm, my experience is that the current will carry you upwind. However if the rig gets some wind, it can actually move downwind. THAT combination makes it hard to get to your gear if the current and wind are strong (opposite directions). The second I fall off I sprint to my rig. If you wait, you might not get to it.

I'm not sure if that is the case here however since he/she said he/she fell off the BACK of his board. The assumption (I know dangerous) is that the board continued moving a little ways away...

I would agree with PDF's not being made for swimming fast.....
kiterperson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I am a very strong swimmer (no problem swimming 1.5 mles at a time) who did not wear a life jacket on a big day at Doug's. I fell of the back of my board and almost drowned trying to catch up with my rig. I am not exaggerating. Every time my gear would crest a wave, the wind would blow it farther away. I was actually there at the Wall watching as this rig came flowing by at a fairly rapid rate. The sail did not dive - it was floating on top of the water with the board right side up. I watched it for a long distance and the sail never dived or became an "anchor". The bottom line? No matter how good a swimmer you are, a life jacket may save your life. Choose wisely. You may only get one chance.
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - OK...

When I separate - which has been many times in my almost 30 years of sailing in many locations - I immediately identify where my rig is - put my face in the water - eyes open and freestyle swim to it - I am talking swimming - not dog paddling, not breast stroke, not my head above water because I'm panicked - just a nice freestyle stroke to the rig. Yes, sometimes it takes a while...

Sounds like I have been lucky enough to not have my rig and sail set up after the fall to continue to surf and ride the wind and waves...

Kiteperson - glad you did not drown having no problem catching up to your rig 1.5 miles away... or wait... did you almost drown?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug's? Rufus? A mile and a half? Drown? The whole river at those spots isn't even 4 tenths of a mile across. Swim to shore, walk to your gear, hop in, and sail away.

To minimize that prospect, the first thing I do when I fall is to look at my gear to determine its orientation. If the board is pointing downwind, the mast across the wind, and the clew upwind, I sprint flat out for it. If not, there's usually no hurry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: