myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster vs twin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: thruster vs twin Reply with quote

whats the skinny on this. Whats the better all around performer? I know that is an open ended question but I am asking just the same and would like to hear some feedback.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single fin is the best all around performer. Everything else has a more specific purpose.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta define "performance", including venue and priorities, before "best" or even "good" can be applied, and even then it's subjective.
And hull shape can make or break everything regardless of fins.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: thruster vs twin Reply with quote

89Spring wrote:
whats the skinny on this. Whats the better all around performer? I know that is an open ended question but I am asking just the same and would like to hear some feedback.

I will answer IMO the question posed, not a debate on which of all possible fin configurations is better.

Between a twin and thruster, which I take it to mean 3 fins, the Tri fin is the better option between these 2. The twin 'could' be faster will be very loose, skatey, not as stable in a straight line, further on that the tracking will not be undesirable, but noticeable in it movement.

Tri fins rarely in windsurf boards have 3 fins of the same or very close size, which is the true definition of a thruster, 2+ 1 is the common setup, so a large center fin and 2 sides of roughly half the size of the center.

this board will track sure, not so fast overall as a twin, feel more firmly planted to the water, upwind very very good, turn probably wider than twin, not as loose. If you have the capability having all fins the same size, THRUSTER ,you will loose a fraction of the 3 fin traits, but make turns so similar to a twin, loose. 3 fins will plane slower due the extra area in the 3 fins.

Given a choice between 3 or 2 fins the 3 is a obvious answer to me.
All other considerations would need to be taken into account, the boards intended purpose, shape, rocker, rail, bottom shape , which company made it

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
combs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's throw quads into the mix as well...if the above comments suggest tri-fin may have an advantage over twins in certain situations, how would you compare a quad board?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see twins as a option for anything other than a single, I like the way they feel to a certain degree, having had but one twin , which I converted to a quad. 2 boards I would clearly like to try: Quatro Twin, first called Tempo and a Bryan Cartwright twin, a few years back Mark Nelson designed Mistral Twins seemed magic in reviews, and the newer Fanatic Twins have some favorable reviews, the only reason I see that twins made a resurrection was Kauli Seadi winning a PWA event on a twin, so everyone has to make one, and lots had to have one.

Quad: I have 3 in the van. I dont see them as a option for ""most"" sailors

waves YES, big WAVES double yes. They will track similar to a single, speed similar, the closer to the rail the fins are THEN the smaller they can be. Off setting plus neg on where the fins are placed and which end has the larger, typical quad will have a twin placement rear with smaller sides ahead, not really a quad but a twin with canards or side bites, this was morphed on account of the twin fins negative character.

You can indeed ride a quad on flattish water, Bump & Jump, Tri, twin also

you can change the character to a degree with size, foil shape and toe in

there is no definitive answer, blond or redhead............

you can make any work. Fin placement and size with a quad is more critical//sensitive, you can google this till the cows come home

combs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For gorge sailing my wife loves her quad and I understand that Temira one of the best female sailers in the gorge swears by them...I just wonder why, stability? Looseness??
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stability AND looseness, just like in a surfboard.
The longer fins resist when you start to bank the board.
Multiple shorter fins, out near the rails, don't resist, and it takes less rail pressure to bank the board.
In wave apps, and swell riding, quads and twins pivot off the rail, adding a little extra boost and the end of each turn. Singles just turn, period.
Sure pure upwind speed, favors singles. But some of you ride where the current opposes the wind, or you ride the wave to get upwind, so pure upwind speed is needed for some spots, and not other's.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

combs wrote:
For gorge sailing my wife loves her quad and I understand that Temira one of the best female sailers in the gorge swears by them...I just wonder why, stability? Looseness??

I think the gorge suits a quad very well, they retain speed and can turn on the swells, both top and bottom. A quad will feel firmly planted compared to a 3 finned, they are by the small fins well suited to abrupt turns, loose is not a term I would use for a quad, normally finned. One of my boards that has 5 boxes, I have yet to determine if I like the 3 finned or quad setup best, could live with either, the rear center box is very short and wont accept a fin large enough to try single.

The forces on a SURF board are much different that a windsurfer.

From what I see thrusters are more popular than quads.

Odd that your reference is both females, coincidence.

fxop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demo'd the two most popular 80L quads on Maui and didn't get it at all.

The boards felt huge and like I was stuck to the water. Loose? These were wave boards that didn't really want to jibe. I was *really* unhappy the whole time I was on those boards.

Talked about it later with one of Maui's top sailors and he was basically in the same skeptical camp, mentioning a new term: "Quad Bog".

Admittedly, I didn't spend enough time to really get used to the quads. I'm really happy on my 10 year old Exocets. When I jumped on an Exocet Original Wave at a board test it was love at first jibe. If I'm going to make a change, shouldn't it be that way? I know the Exocet is not an aggressive wave shape and that's fine with me. If I can't plane and point I can't get back out and upwind to the next wave. I'm not the most efficient sailor but lately I seem to be planing past lots of guys on quads esp in Maui.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: