myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Earplugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jelittle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Earplugs Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

This forum normally gives great solutions/alternatives for windsurfing questions so I have a question for its members. Currently I am using Doc’s Proplugs to prevent swimmer ear infections. Does anyone have any other solutions (products used) on how to keep water out of the ears or what to do after water enters the ears?

Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried custom plugs many moons ago, but they felt like little pebbles.

I've used the buck-a-bag "Christmas tree" plugs. They worked pretty well.

I now have some ProPlugs, but keep forgetting to try them out for anything but sleeping in noisy environment.

But the reason I wear plugs on the water is surfer's ear ... the bony ear canal growths caused by exposure to cold. Extended exposure to cool water or air can cause them, and surgery is the only cure. Prevention is a far better answer.

If you get swimmer's ear, you're right to worry about it. It poses serious risks, but is easy to prevent with simple precautions such as ear plugs and OTC or home made ear drying solutions.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using "Mack's Ear Seals" which I purchase off Ebay. They are doing well after 6 months of use. I started using them when I discovered I had hearing loss after years of being out in the wind. Wearing ear plugs helps save what hearing I have left.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macks-Ear-Seals-with-Removable-Cord-1-Pair-/261501329985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce2b1a241

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wearing earplugs for over 20 years now, and it's the best solution for keeping water out of your ear canal. My swimmer's ear problems started about 45 years ago in college. What I did for the years before I started wearing earplugs was use an alcohol based solution with boric acid. Ethanol works far better than isopropyl alcohol because the latter can include some water as part of the solution. For some of those years I used a commercial product called Swim-Ear. All these products work as a drying agent. However, after time my swimmer's ear problems came back, and the alcohol based solutions no longer worked. Before going to earplugs, I used a prescription ear drop with cotton plugs every night after surfing or windsurfing, but it was a pain to get a doctor's prescription each time I ran out. Finally, it was the earplugs that totally solved the problem, and it has stemmed the bone growth that is the source of the water retention problem. I use the inexpensive "christmas tree" or graduated flare-type earplugs similar to those pictured above.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve had surfer's ear pretty bad, according to DocHazard, 80+ percent closed.
But stopped surfing in NorCal, took up windsurfing in warmer climates, and it seemed to have backed off a lot.
Surfer's ear solution is 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 distilled water, and 1/3 alcohol.
But if you get a DaKine or some kind of hat with ear flaps, or a hood, you solved the problem of wind passing over your wet ear canal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: